Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,801,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Usually I get the thanks or the thank you in when they hand me back the receipt they sign, I tell them to have a nice day and THEN they walk off, THEN the next person is in front of me, wouldn't it be rude of me to keep yapping with the person as they walk off and the next person is in front of me waiting for me to shut my mouth and ring them up.

And come on back anytime reminds me of ya'll come back now...
When I worked at Hollister we had to say "Hollister jeans make everything look better" when people walked through the door. Let's just say some girlfriends came close to punching me when I said it to their boyfriends. I was also supposed to say "Have you heard how great our jeans fit?" but then I had no follow up line.

Retail just sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,625,789 times
Of course I do it perfectly. Every single time, without fail, and I have done so for the past 30+ years I've worked in retail. As I said, it's called good manners, and it isn't difficult. At all. Unless you are just utterly uncouth to begin with.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,941,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Of course I do it perfectly. Every single time, without fail, and I have done so for the past 30+ years I've worked in retail. As I said, it's called good manners, and it isn't difficult. At all. Unless you are just utterly uncouth to begin with.
I wish you were one of the people who lived near me.
I would LOVE for you to come in to where I work and stand at customer service, say everything you are supposed to do AND ring them up in the VERY short amount of time you have to do so, while answering phones, printing up bridal registries and trying to page for back up.
KGO!

I am very polite and sweet when I talk to people and when its slow I engage most people in conversation.

Just because I don't drop the come back line doesn't make me an uncouth hooligan..

Old 10-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
When I worked at Hollister we had to say "Hollister jeans make everything look better" when people walked through the door. Let's just say some girlfriends came close to punching me when I said it to their boyfriends. I was also supposed to say "Have you heard how great our jeans fit?" but then I had no follow up line.

Retail just sucks!
I actually LOVE my job.
I get along with everyone but one manager and she isn't nice to anyone.
One friend that I work with says I am my one managers "mini me" cause she and I are like best buds and so alike..

I usually have so much fun at work and everyones so chill.

I have 30 hours this week and I may be going in tomorrow 5-10 and it'll put me at 35.50 hours for the week and I will work 7 days straight...that paycheck will make me feel all warm and tingly inside...

Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 AM

4,729 posts, read 9,903,079 times
I've worked retail and I've waited tables, it doesn't take much to be polite and courteous; but many folks just have a bee in their bonnet about what *they* consider polite and courteous and you can never get it perfectly right for every single person every single time unless you're a telepath.

Now that I'm on the other side of the table and counter, I am always polite and courteous to my clerks and servers... no matter whether they are slow or grumpy or inept. Because it is a doenright sucky and thankless job most of the time and 13 other people have probably been total jerks to them already today because most people forget to be polite and courteous to the staff. Patrons aren't the only ones who deserve common decency and civility.

I'm so keyed to not be a jerk that I will put up with the most painful customer support calls ever! I know it's not usually their fault that their company's policies are stupid, or that they don't speak English well because the company chose to save some money by outsourcing their service department to another country. Yes, I might be stabbing my eyes out with a fork on the other end of the phone, but I almost never flame out on anyone. I rely on my husband to be a jerk when it's necessary, the best I can usually muster is firm

But the one social politeness that you will never, ever get me to obey is to look at someone in the eye when I meet them or talk to them. Sorry, autistic, deal with it. I look toward someone, maybe focus on their nose or their ear... fake that I'm making eye contact, or do it extremly briefly, when I first meet them, but after that, I just make sure I'm angled towar someone enough that they can hear me properly and can be reasonably assured that I'm talking to them and not someone across the room. Eye contact is B-A-D and being forced to "look at me when I'm/you're talking to you/me" has resulted in more overstims, meltdowns and panic attacks than I can count. If my not looking at you when i talk to you makes you think I'm untrustworthy or am lying or am disrespectul or whatever, that is your problem... because if I have to make eye contact with you I am going to freak right the hell out!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,096,595 times
Missingall4seasons,
Yes, you hit that nail on the head. But, there is definitely a difference between good manners and behaving badly. As John Elder Robinson stated too, you can be polite and show good manners, autism isn't a crutch for social ettiquette.
And Omgawd, I have been teaching her all these years. We frequently recieve compliments on all 3 of our children on how well behaved they are at church, resturants, planes, etc. However, as she is approaching these rougher years, I can feel the strain of peer pressure on her and from society as a whole. So, its a balance of letting your kids be exposed to society and inappropriate things so they know how to deal with it and they want to avoid it, not do it because you told them to. I remember how few kids there were to choose from when I was growing up that weren't doing all those "bad" things. Today, the populations seems to be nonexistant at school, where does she find friends?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 9,903,079 times
Well, my parents seemed to think that my friends would be a bad influence on me, but it normally turned out that I was a good influence on them Maybe there isn't as much to worry about as you fear.

At some point parents have to trust that they've raised their kids to be decent human beings and let them take it from there *HUGS*

Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,428,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I wish you were one of the people who lived near me.
I would LOVE for you to come in to where I work and stand at customer service, say everything you are supposed to do AND ring them up in the VERY short amount of time you have to do so, while answering phones, printing up bridal registries and trying to page for back up.
KGO!

You work in Bed Bath and Beyond. You're not answering phones and printing bridal registries while working the register. The bridal registry is in a separate area. The customer service counter is right next to the registers. There are typically one or two cashiers --- customer service doesn't ring up customers unless the cashiers are backed up. CS typically does returns and tells customers where to find items. Customer service doesn't print up bridal registries.

And please don't tell me the BB&B you work in is different. Every BB&B in this country is set up EXACTLY the same.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You work in Bed Bath and Beyond. You're not answering phones and printing bridal registries while working the register. The bridal registry is in a separate area. The customer service counter is right next to the registers. There are typically one or two cashiers --- customer service doesn't ring up customers unless the cashiers are backed up. CS typically does returns and tells customers where to find items. Customer service doesn't print up bridal registries.

And please don't tell me the BB&B you work in is different. Every BB&B in this country is set up EXACTLY the same.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

OMG PEOPLE WE HAVE A COMEDIAN...

Have you EVER worked in a bed bath and beyond?????

Let me tell you something...

I USUALLY am the ONLY cashier up front at customer service and I have to call for back up when a line forms for OTHER cashiers to come up front to the NON-CUSTOMER SERVICE registers.
I stand at customer service MY WHOLE SHIFT.
I DO answer phones, I am the FIRST person who is suppose to answer and direct and transfer the call to the right department..
I DO print bridal registry's for people shopping for the bride and groom. The bridal room is there to set up registry's, add more to a registry or do a Beyond Store order.
I ring people up, do returns, exchanges, as well as the bridal gift wrapping, re-packaging, looking up inventory and what we have in stock on JDA, calling other stores for customers to check to see if they have items.

The way MY store is set up is they leave me up front while everyone else works the floor. I answer the phone first and direct the calls. I ring people up, do exchanges, returns, bridal wrapping, I print up registry's for people shopping for the bride and groom.

I am also the closing cashier, I am responsible for zoning the seasonal room and front end, vacuuming and sweeping, closing down all the registers at the end of the night with my manager.

So please don't tell me what I NOT doing when I stand at CS day after day after day doing JUST what you said I don't do.
Spare me.

Counting yesterday, I am working 7 days straight, doing everything you just said I don't do.

But like I said, have you ever even worked in a bed, bath and beyond or do you just shop there, therefore you know it all????

Old 10-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Im half willing to give you my stores phone number and having you call my manager to ask her what all I do..
And then when you are told you are wrong....I want to LOL so hard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting