Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

After reading the co-sleeping thread I realized I might be the odd one out! My mother had me in my own room from the time that she brought me home from the hospital. We lived in a two bedroom condo with a small upper floor so I wasn't all that far away. We also had a baby monitor. But I always slept in my own room. I also never got up as an older child and went to sleep in my parents bed. I never had a problem sleeping in my own room, aside from a little fear of the dark which I still have today, I like a night light. I was also taught never to get out of bed without my mom in the morning. I remember laying in bed yelling "Im ready to get up" and my mom coming in. this was to prevent us from getting up early and wandering.

My question is did anyone else have their newborn in her own room or am I an outlier on the statistic curve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I have a friend who lived in a small 2 bedroom condo and she put her baby to sleep in his crib in his own room from the very beginning. People thought it was odd, but they didn't have room for superfluous things like a bassinet, and the rooms were right next to each other.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
My son never slept with me, but he had a bassinet in my room until the age of 10 weeks. I then moved him into his own room.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:50 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
After reading the co-sleeping thread I realized I might be the odd one out! My mother had me in my own room from the time that she brought me home from the hospital. We lived in a two bedroom condo with a small upper floor so I wasn't all that far away. We also had a baby monitor. But I always slept in my own room. I also never got up as an older child and went to sleep in my parents bed. I never had a problem sleeping in my own room, aside from a little fear of the dark which I still have today, I like a night light. I was also taught never to get out of bed without my mom in the morning. I remember laying in bed yelling "Im ready to get up" and my mom coming in. this was to prevent us from getting up early and wandering.

My question is did anyone else have their newborn in her own room or am I an outlier on the statistic curve.
My son was a fantastic sleeper from the first moment he was born. I could put him in bed and he'd sleep six or seven hours at a stretch if I didn't wake him up to feed him. So he slept in his own room from the start. My daughter was fussier baby, and would wake to nurse every couple hours. It was easier to have her in a bassinet by the bed in my room until she started sleeping through the night. When that happened, she also went into her own room.

Both my kids turned out great. Normal, healthy, well-adjusted. When they had bad dreams, they'd come climb into bed with me for a few minutes, I'd comfort them and then take them back to their own beds with hugs and kisses and blanky-tucking. Worked fine. I think it's fine to have kids in their own rooms. Just because other cultures do something (which is the big pro argument in the co-sleep thread) doesn't mean it's the only way to do things. Obviously, kids in their own beds and own rooms works very well for millions and millions of families.

Plus you don't have to worry about your kid saying something to his classmates about the weird things he sees daddy doing to mommy at night, and having your kids hauled off by CPS because of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Both my kids slept in a bassinet in our room for the first couple of weeks - then were moved to their respective rooms. From time to time over the years one or the other would awaken from a nightmare and crawl into bed with us. DS went through a phase when he was 2 or 3 of getting out of bed every night and crawling into bed with us...I had to wake up and take him back to his bed every night for about a month but eventually he stayed put. They both seem pretty normal at this point.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Both kids slept in a bassinet, then a crib in their own room(s). But now that they are older and I realize how quickly time has already flown, I do allow them to sleep with DH and I on a regular basis.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Most of my kids were in a cradle near my side of the bed the first 3 mos, and then roomed with a sibling after that point. The exception was the first, who stayed in our room til 12 mos, he was a restless sleeper and nursed a lot. He was also my fattest baby lol. My kids really liked sharing bedrooms, up to a certain age, and my youngest still do, and they all ask for a kids' sleepover in one room from time to time. That is what I prefer for my family (as opposed to sharing the room with the adults) and how we did it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

Plus you don't have to worry about your kid saying something to his classmates about the weird things he sees daddy doing to mommy at night, and having your kids hauled off by CPS because of it.
Did I miss something on this thread? Who is having sex in front of their kids?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Right from the start our son slept in his crib in his own room. I think the first week or so my husband would bring him to me to nurse during the night since I had a c-section, but he would go right back to his crib.

I never minded getting up in the middle of the night and feeding him and rocking him. Later on it was always a routine of tucking him in, laying there with him and reading to him, then kissing him goodnight and leaving.

Mine seems pretty normal as well .

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
My kids were in our room for the first few months but they slept in a separate cradle. It was handy to have them close by when I was nursing. After that they slept in their own room. When they were in regular beds they would come to our room every now and then if they had a bad dream, but most nights they slept in their own bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting