Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
My cousin's almost 5 year old son got the flu then he got pneumonia then the stomach bug and his 2 brothers had strep also- He had the flu shot 3 weeks earlier.
I don't think strep has anything to do with the flu. I have never had the flu yet I had strep many many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I don't think hlsess was saying that the brothers' strep had anything to do with the flu.

I think she just added in that the brothers had strep at the same time the 5 year old had the flu to portray how sick everyone was in the family all at once.

She's talking about the 5 year old son who had the flu after receiving the flu shot 3 weeks earlier.

Katiana's questioning if this was last year might explain why he got the flu after receiving shots---he might not have gotten both flu shots.

Or he might not have gotten the follow up shots. I think the N1H1 was giving to children in two doses.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think hlsess was saying that the brothers' strep had anything to do with the flu.

I think she just added in that the brothers had strep at the same time the 5 year old had the flu to portray how sick everyone was in the family all at once.

She's talking about the 5 year old son who had the flu after receiving the flu shot 3 weeks earlier.

Katiana's questioning if this was last year might explain why he got the flu after receiving shots---he might not have gotten both flu shots.

Or he might not have gotten the follow up shots. I think the N1H1 was giving to children in two doses.
Perhaps that's what hlsess meant about the strep.

The first year that a child under 9 gets a flu shot of any strain, s/he needs a booster in 30 days. The first shot just "primes" the immune system.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:13 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,870 times
Yes this was about 3 weeks ago
I know that the strep had nothing to do with the flu.
I doubt he had the booster yet since it had only been 3 weeks-he was a sick little boy- The stomach bug probably came home with odler brother-doctor said immune system was SO weak that he would pick up almost anything-
Bad thing -this happened exactly the same time last year- he got the flu in October after the shot- Hopefully he will outgrow all of this sickness....He had to cancel his birthday party last year-It is next thursday so we are keeping our fingers crossed!!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 AM

Did he get influenza after the shot or did he get the stomach bug, or both? I was checking the CDC website and there is little to no flu in most states in the US currently; there would have been less a few weeks ago. Influenza and "stomach flu" (gastroenteritis) are not the same. I'm glad he's better now.

Here's the map of flu activity in the US:

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Weekly Report: Influenza Activity Interactive Map

Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Glad to see there's NO activity in my state. Makes me feel comfortable about getting my flu shot this weekend.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:54 AM

He had the flu!!! The doctor supposedbly called the CDC b/c he got it after the shot. I know what I am talking about so please quit questioning me- He got the stomach bug or stomach flu on top of the pneumonia- reread my post Katiana!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
He had the flu!!! The doctor supposedbly called the CDC b/c he got it after the shot. I know what I am talking about so please quit questioning me- He got the stomach bug or stomach flu on top of the pneumonia- reread my post Katiana!!!
Calm down! I was just trying to clarify! I work as a phone nurse and you would not believe the number of people who call vomiting and diarrhea "the flu", and think their kids have gotten the flu after a flu shot b/c they got gastroenteritis.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 AM

I am fine- i stated what happened in earlier post

Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Glad to see there's NO activity in my state. Makes me feel comfortable about getting my flu shot this weekend.
Of course there is "sporadic" activity in my state. All those tourists carrying every disease known to humanity throughout the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting