Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times

Advertisements

Dad, your time will come. My eldest, now a preteen, who has spent considerably more time with me doing everything from dr appts to protracted homework sessions/school projects to the activity of the season, because of his dad's work schedule, has just recently informed me that "not to hurt your feelings or anything, but I like Dad better". LOL

And if you haven't read/heard/seen Bill Cosby's bit about hours of teaching your son football and how, when he's a star, he gets a short spot on tv to wave to the camera and say something, you should. It is hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 04:08 AM

251 posts, read 417,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Dad, your time will come. My eldest, now a preteen, who has spent considerably more time with me doing everything from dr appts to protracted homework sessions/school projects to the activity of the season, because of his dad's work schedule, has just recently informed me that "not to hurt your feelings or anything, but I like Dad better". LOL

And if you haven't read/heard/seen Bill Cosby's bit about hours of teaching your son football and how, when he's a star, he gets a short spot on tv to wave to the camera and say something, you should. It is hilarious.
yeah I saw that bill cosby thing some time ago, long before I ever thought about becoming a father. basically the kdi says "hi mom," leaving the dad feeling crushed. Yeah. I kind of feel like that now. I wonder how things will play out. My wife is a nice but prissy kind of woman who loathes dirty boys etc. I imagine that when the little one is no longer little, but bursting with testosterone, and decides to shower infrequently, things may change.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Believe me, if you continue to come home from work and devote your time to your family, you will be that little guy's hero. Please don't forget to show appreciation to your wife for all that she does for your son though. Hubby and I have 4 kids....3 sons, 1 daughter. As they've gotten older, they prefer each of us for different things. LOL Mom, what's for dinner? Did you wash my jersey? Dad, can we go fishing? LOL Trust me, there were times when hubby felt like you do. He was at work all day, got a bit resentful of all the time I got to spend with the kids while he was at his "thankless" job, etc. He kind of resented that I didn't have anything to do all day except spend time with the kids. (How hard can that be?) Well, a couple of times, hubby was out of work and we had to reverse those roles a bit. Trust me, as much as he loves his kids, he developed a true appreciation of all that being a stay-at-home-parent entailed. When work became available, the man was running out the door as fast as his feet could carry him! As a stay at home daddy, his kids weren't running to the door screaming DADDY!......climbing his legs, hugging and kissing him, thrilled to see him. He was just boring old daddy who they saw all day, every day. They tore up the house constantly, were always hungry, always wanting SOMETHING.......fighting and bickering like crazy, getting into everything, dirtying load after load of clothes. He saw none of those things when he was working full time.

Even worse, because I'd always done the laundry, house cleaning, cooking, yard work, he was lost....utterly and completely. He'd have a mad hornet coming home, ticked off because the house was filthy, no dishes done, dirty kids, laundry everywhere, no yardwork done......all he'd done, all day, was "watch the kids". Truly, that's all he though I did. He never noticed that my job entailed so, so many other things. He discovered that he sucked at my job! LOL Hence....the running out the door to work, eagerly, when work became available! LOL

Enjoy this time, before you know it, you'll be the favorite.....as long as you're the daddy now, who gives him your undivided attention, hugs and kisses, rather than treating him like he's a bothersome little bug trying to crawl up your leg when YOU want to just put your feet up after a long day's work.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Believe me, if you continue to come home from work and devote your time to your family, you will be that little guy's hero. Please don't forget to show appreciation to your wife for all that she does for your son though. Hubby and I have 4 kids....3 sons, 1 daughter. As they've gotten older, they prefer each of us for different things. LOL Mom, what's for dinner? Did you wash my jersey? Dad, can we go fishing? LOL Trust me, there were times when hubby felt like you do. He was at work all day, got a bit resentful of all the time I got to spend with the kids while he was at his "thankless" job, etc. He kind of resented that I didn't have anything to do all day except spend time with the kids. (How hard can that be?) Well, a couple of times, hubby was out of work and we had to reverse those roles a bit. Trust me, as much as he loves his kids, he developed a true appreciation of all that being a stay-at-home-parent entailed. When work became available, the man was running out the door as fast as his feet could carry him! As a stay at home daddy, his kids weren't running to the door screaming DADDY!......climbing his legs, hugging and kissing him, thrilled to see him. He was just boring old daddy who they saw all day, every day. They tore up the house constantly, were always hungry, always wanting SOMETHING.......fighting and bickering like crazy, getting into everything, dirtying load after load of clothes. He saw none of those things when he was working full time.

Even worse, because I'd always done the laundry, house cleaning, cooking, yard work, he was lost....utterly and completely. He'd have a mad hornet coming home, ticked off because the house was filthy, no dishes done, dirty kids, laundry everywhere, no yardwork done......all he'd done, all day, was "watch the kids". Truly, that's all he though I did. He never noticed that my job entailed so, so many other things. He discovered that he sucked at my job! LOL Hence....the running out the door to work, eagerly, when work became available! LOL

Enjoy this time, before you know it, you'll be the favorite.....as long as you're the daddy now, who gives him your undivided attention, hugs and kisses, rather than treating him like he's a bothersome little bug trying to crawl up your leg when YOU want to just put your feet up after a long day's work.
This is a wonderful response. Thanks for this.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,671 times
Jlow question here? Do you ever make a positive post in regards to your wife and her family?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Jlow question here? Do you ever make a positive post in regards to your wife and her family?
paganmama80: question here? Do you always look for the negative and in doing so tend to overlook the positive? Take a look at this link from today:

MIL from Hell Update....Great news

Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
paganmama80: question here? Do you always look for the negative and in doing so tend to overlook the positive? Take a look at this link from today:

MIL from Hell Update....Great news

No but you always have threads complaining about your wife,her family,her father,her mother,her not helping out enough,her for having friends over. It doesn't seem like you are too happy is all which makes me wonder why you are staying.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
No but you always have threads complaining about your wife,her family,her father,her mother,her not helping out enough,her for having friends over. It doesn't seem like you are too happy is all which makes me wonder why you are staying.
"always" means all the time. I dont "always" complain. That cant be true because today I posted something very positive about the family and our communications. The thread and its contents, and even its replies are very positive indeed. If someone finds a speck on a rose, they are making quite the error by not appreciating the beauty of the rose. The tide has changed and I am quite happy at this new turn of events.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
But even your positive post is filled with whining!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
But even your positive post is filled with whining!
Emphasize the positive. In that post I linked there is nothing but positivity and nothing can change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting