U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,880,812 times

Advertisements

And what happens after someone stops breast feeding?

How's that 50 year old breast fed kid faring better than his formula fed counterpart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,811,287 times
mom said that the homemade formula consisted of evaporated milk, water and corn syrup, sugar or molasses. Mine also included liquid iron. From what I've read, molasses is full of nutrients.

she also described the whole process of making the formula, including the attention to disinfecting bottles and nipples, and storing the formula properly. when i mentioned that people claim that kids fed homemade formula were getting botulism poisoning, she felt that it may have been due to improper disinfecting as opposed to any particular ingredients. i tend to agree with her.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,642,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
mom said that the homemade formula consisted of evaporated milk, water and corn syrup, sugar or molasses. Mine also included liquid iron. From what I've read, molasses is full of nutrients.

she also described the whole process of making the formula, including the attention to disinfecting bottles and nipples, and storing the formula properly. when i mentioned that people claim that kids fed homemade formula were getting botulism poisoning, she felt that it may have been due to improper disinfecting as opposed to any particular ingredients. i tend to agree with her.
Molasses does have more nutrients than corn syrup or sugar, but not all that much in the amounts put in formula.

The botulism is in the corn syrup. I'd go with commercial formula if I were formula feeding. It's one time when the store bought product is better than homemade, IMO.

Botulism: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,514,256 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Molasses does have more nutrients than corn syrup or sugar, but not all that much in the amounts put in formula.

The botulism is in the corn syrup. I'd go with commercial formula if I were formula feeding. It's one time when the store bought product is better than homemade, IMO.

Botulism: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
I agree with you, Katiana.

Most of what's in the homemade forumla described by queensgrl is sugar. Surgar, molasses and corn syrup are all sugars. LOTS OF SUGAR!

Why would anyone feed an infant corn syrup? That's like feeding an infant soda-pop!

Molasses does have very high calcium and iron but the sugar content is unbelievable.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 AM

I'd guess that most kids born in the late 50s - early 60s were fed this formula. But without comparing our health against breast milk or pre-made formula fed kids, there's really no way to know what was better or worse, or if there were no significant differences.

As for molasses, it's not as "sugary" as you think, and it has many nutritional benefits (as does grade B maple syrup).

Benefits of Molasses
: The calorie content of blackstrap molasses is still mostly from the small remaining sugar content. However, unlike refined sugars, it contains significant amounts of vitamin B6 and minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the daily value of each of those nutrients.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 AM

4,267 posts, read 3,090,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
And what happens after someone stops breast feeding?

How's that 50 year old breast fed kid faring better than his formula fed counterpart?
Here are some long term benefits:

*Women who were breastfed as babies have a 25% less chance of developing breast cancer in adulthood. (Breastfeeding also protects Mom from breast and ovarian cancer)
*Studies suggest that breastfeeding helps protects against Crohn's disease later in life.
*Studies suggest that breastfeeding reduces risk of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
*Studies have shows that breast milk lowers risk of baby developing asthma.
*Breastfeeding decreases chances of developing rheumatoid arthritis
*Breastfeeding decreases child's chances of contracting Hodgkin's disease
*Breastfeeding protects baby against some vision defects
*Breastfeeding decreases chances of osteoporosis in both mother and child
*Breastfed babies have less chance of developing ulcerative colitis
*Breastfeeding may lower the risk of developing high cholesterol

Source: ProMoM, Inc. - 101 Reasons to Breastfeed Your Child (http://www.promom.org/101/ - broken link)

Last edited by Dorthy; 10-17-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 AM

3,435 posts, read 1,255,433 times
Quote:

Isn't corn syrup one of the worst things you can drink? There are so many vitamins added to commercial formula. No offense but I'd pass on your mom's formula. I'd assume she didn't add any vitamins to it????

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM

It would take a longitudinal study of two comparatively similar groups -- one breast fed and one not, similar lifestyles, mothers on similar diets -- to really determine if there are significant differences. Since the latest, large cohort of breastfed children are still kids, it may be a bit premature to make these claims. I'd love to study them in about 30 years and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Here are some long term benefits:

*Women who were breastfed as babies have a 25% less chance of developing breast cancer in adulthood. (Breastfeeding also protects Mom form breast and ovarian cancer)
*Studies suggest that breastfeeding helps protects against Crohn's disease later in life.
*Studies suggest that breastfeeding reduces risk of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
*Studies have shows that breast milk lowers risk of baby developing asthma.
*Breastfeeding decreases chances of developing rheumatoid arthritis
*Breastfeeding decreases child's chances of contracting Hodgkin's disease
*Breastfeeding protects baby against some vision defects
*Breastfeeding decreases chances of osteoporosis in both mother and child
*Breastfed babies have less chance of developing ulcerative colitis
*Breastfeeding may lower the risk of developing high cholesterol

Source: ProMoM, Inc. - 101 Reasons to Breastfeed Your Child (http://www.promom.org/101/ - broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 AM

4,267 posts, read 3,090,301 times
Quote:
It would take a longitudinal study of two comparatively similar groups -- one breast fed and one not, similar lifestyles, mothers on similar diets -- to really determine if there are significant differences. Since the latest, large cohort of breastfed children are still kids, it may be a bit premature to make these claims. I'd love to study them in about 30 years and see what happens.
All of the things that I posted are based on studies. You can look up the individual studies that are referenced in the link if you'd like to see the methodology. People have been breastfeeding for a long time, not just in recent years so it is probable that many of these studies are based on long term data and take into account factors such as lifestyle and diet.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 AM

2,060 posts, read 3,096,038 times
Well I guess my mom and her mom were doing it wrong because there's plenty of asthma and sadly, ovarian cancer in our family. Genes are genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting