Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Any parent who suspects that there will be alcohol at a party like that should call the POLICE immediately. There is no excuse for people who allow children to drink.

IF I had even *thought* about touching alcohol when I was a minor my father would have beat my butt and grounded me for life. Kids get away with everything these days because their parents' let them.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
According to what I found, in California the mandatory sentence for providing alcohol to a minor is a $1000 fine and at least 24 hours community service. You can also be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and face up to a year in jail, five years probation, and a $2500 fine.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I believe they only arrest the ones providing the alcohol and/or the owners of the house.
In some states, if there's drinking going on, they will breathalyze everyone, including those over 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
so say for example that I buy alcohol for my personal use. I have a party where some teenagers attend and they drink from my personal stash and they didn't ask me to have one. Would I be responsible for their actions if they were to end up drunk or have alcohol poisoning?

If someone's parents asked someone else to buy the alcohol would the parents still be responsible or the person who bought it that didn't attend the party?
I am not an attorney, but the Colorado law is that, for kids under 21, a parent may only serve alcohol to his/her kids, or to another kid if that kid's parents are present. I would assume that could include kids getting into their parents' alcohol, especially if the parents were home.

If someone else bought the alcohol and the parents served it at their home, it is my understanding that the parents would be responsible, under Colorado law.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
so say for example that I buy alcohol for my personal use. I have a party where some teenagers attend and they drink from my personal stash and they didn't ask me to have one. Would I be responsible for their actions if they were to end up drunk or have alcohol poisoning?

If someone's parents asked someone else to buy the alcohol would the parents still be responsible or the person who bought it that didn't attend the party?
I would think you would be held accountable if this happens in your house. If you are not supervising, then you should be held liable. I am not sure legally if this is the case, but ethically, you are the one who is responsible for what happens at your party in your home.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:

I don't really know the answer to your questions. These just aren't things we do at our house. We allow our kids (teens) to have a beer with us when we are watching football on Sunday afternoon but I would never give someone else's child a drink, nor allow them to drink in my house.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
WOW!!! It was more out of control than I thought.

Drunk Teen Party: Hundreds of under-aged students seen drinking alcohol - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Don't ya love the parents' "We were in the bedroom the whole time- we didn't know what was going on!" excuse?

Police don't really seem to ever want to actually arrest kids in those party situations. I remember there was a prom party my junior year that a bunch of people in my theatre program put together (I didn't attend)... it was in a rented out house but it got busted by the police. They all pleaded that they were good kids in a theatre program- and the cops told them to do a dance number from the spring musical for them! And then watched them pour out the alcohol and left. It gave them a huge scare but in the end it just turned ridiculous!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
"We were in the bedroom. We didn't know there were 600 teenagers here." Wow.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I don't care how many square feet you have. How does one not know there are upward of 500 people in your home? Many or most of whom are drunk? I've had teenaged parties in my home. While I don't typically stay and hang out with the kids, I certainly knew enough to make the occasional, unannounced walk through. And if my child had told me to just stay in my room? Huge red flag. Not happening. I don't believe it for a minute.

That's just sick. No excuse.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-12-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Dang! That is a HUGE house

4040 Ibis Point Circle boca raton - Google Maps

You raised your son well, OP- Kudos to both of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting