U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,221,751 times
Developmentally, I think you should wait till after 4 months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 AM

486 posts, read 884,531 times
Thanks for the responses. Personally, I'm not a big CIO fan, which is why I modified it for my first child. My 3 month old usually sleeps from 7:30pm until 12:30-2:30 ish and then wants to eat. Then she sleeps again for about two hours and is up... two hours and then up... repetes this until morning.

The doctor told me that my baby could go all night (up to 10 hours) if I could get her to sleep that long.

I appreciate all of the postings and links too. I obviously know my baby best and know her cries- as one poster wrote. Just wasn't even sure if three months is too early...

I think I'm going to try rocking her less and less each night and see how that works. If she fusses and wimpers I might let her go for about 5-10 minutes and see what happens. If she full out cries, I'm going in... For the paci... have to think about that one later. ;-)

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM

4,075 posts, read 4,444,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post

I think I'm going to try rocking her less and less each night and see how that works. If she fusses and wimpers I might let her go for about 5-10 minutes and see what happens. If she full out cries, I'm going in... For the paci... have to think about that one later. ;-)

Thanks.
Sounds like me as a child. My grandfather would sometimes watch me and rock me. Then I needed to be rocked every time, and I was getting big! My mom bought a book called "teach your baby to sleep in one week" and basically she had to let me just cry. She would come in and say "you are ok" and eventually I would fall asleep.

I think this is why I sleep better if I watch a sad movie before bed

Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 AM

783 posts, read 834,159 times
I agree that 3 mos is too old. I wouldn't necessarily drop what I was doing and rush in immediately but a few minutes of crying to see if it might stop fine.

Not sure if at 3 mos they can put the paci back in...but with my DD we used a paci clip and she would put it back in herself! yay! Does she have any kind of "lovey" to snuggle with? My son had a bear head/mini blanket thing he was super attached too but my DD wouldn't really attach to anything but her paci. I think it helps to have some sort of soothing item for a lot of kids.

DD is now 2.5 and we broke the paci habit so she has no sort of attachments. DS is now 4.5 and he isn't attached to anything either. He gave up the bear last summer along with the paci which we had him only using for sleep times. It was his "thing" and it helped him sleep so I didn't care.

They both sleep thru the night 90% of the time. Go to sleep on their own with little help unless they are sick. My 2.5 yr old DD started asking me to rock her again lately but she is still awake after a few minutes when I put her down and doesn't fuss a few nights a week.

We did do the CIO with DS around 18 mos to get him out of our bed before his sister was born but he was fine and just wanted to sleep with us. Even now if they wake up feeling bad or have a bad dream/scared I will let them in bed with us. Kids need that secure feeling from parents. They need that assurance/safety. If that means rocking them back to bed at 3am so be it!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 AM

4,267 posts, read 2,760,774 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Personally, I'm not a big CIO fan, which is why I modified it for my first child. My 3 month old usually sleeps from 7:30pm until 12:30-2:30 ish and then wants to eat. Then she sleeps again for about two hours and is up... two hours and then up... repetes this until morning.

The doctor told me that my baby could go all night (up to 10 hours) if I could get her to sleep that long.

I appreciate all of the postings and links too. I obviously know my baby best and know her cries- as one poster wrote. Just wasn't even sure if three months is too early...

Thanks.
The hours that your baby is sleeping and waking sounds very normal for her age.

I hate it when doctors make blanket statements about children and babies in regards to parenting and sleep. All they do is set up unrealistic expectations and false hope. They should really know better.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck with everything.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,606,358 times
Developmentally, three month olds are often having a growth spurt, and may need the night feedings. I'd not expect one to sleep through for 10 hours at this age. I'm suprised the doctor said that.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM

2,405 posts, read 3,699,318 times
I think 3 months is way too young for CIO. But I don't believe in CIO myself. I mean, I believe that it works, but I don't believe it's how I want to interact with my child. Have you read No Cry Sleep Solution? Also, the medical definition of "sleep through the night" is only like 5 hours anyway, not 10!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 6,468,698 times
Quote:

Thanks.
My ped told me that once they reach their birth weight (as they lose some ounces in the hospital) that it is ok for them to sleep as long as they want during the night (dependant on all other factors being healthy of course). My 3 month old went 5 hrs at about 2 wks. He is not so long anymore.

Honestly, I would just take away the pacifier now. Why keep the habit, which is only going to be harder to break? At least now the baby is at a stage you can rock her to sleep. But, we all gotta fight the battles we have energy for

And my 3month old has about the same pattern as yours right now. I have a friend w/ a 3 month old who has been sleeping 8-10hrs at night since week 1!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM

9,808 posts, read 10,244,528 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Five straight hours is a pretty long stretch for a baby that young.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 AM

8,640 posts, read 13,944,631 times
Don't stone me, but I am not a fan of the "cry it out" method at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting