Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,812,346 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen these commercials. The one I just saw the women said "I raised three wonderful kids on formula. Now that my baby has a baby she knows better. She is determined to breastfeed and her babies will be so much healthier because of this". The other commercial I saw basically markets bfing as a weight loss technique. The commercials are made by WIC.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,488,605 times
I've seen commercials about formula recently; something like storebrand.com to help a parent decide which formula would be best for their child.

I can't stand the debate.

I've always nursed my children up to about 8-9 months & then switch to formula for a few months.

I know that the hospital system that we go to & I just had #3 no longer gives out free packets or samples/coupons of formula & will only provide formula after birth upon request of the mother.

Maybe we do need a little more breast is best information to educate mothers, especially young mothers who have a large percentage in WIC.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,812,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Maybe we do need a little more breast is best information to educate mothers, especially young mothers who have a large percentage in WIC.
I just didn't like the way the woman said "She knows better now". Like someone knows better than to stick a fork in the toaster.

I have no problem with breastfeeding or anything I just think the whole tone of that commercial is very very miss leading.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,910,721 times
WIC is a nutrition program for infants and children, so I think that it is appropriate for WIC to be in the business of promoting breastfeeding as the best nutrition for infants. Every area has a different WIC office, and some are better at this than others, but in general, WIC has a reputation for having very low breastfeeding rates compared to the population. Most likely because they give out free formula. Families who are WIC eligible, but not on WIC (in other words, controlled for socioeconomic level), have a much higher rate of breastfeeding than WIC families. WIC has recently been trying to improve their breastfeeding rates, and the commercials are probably part of that effort.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I just didn't like the way the woman said "She knows better now". Like someone knows better than to stick a fork in the toaster.

I have no problem with breastfeeding or anything I just think the whole tone of that commercial is very very miss leading.
I don't think it's misleading. We know more now than we used to. A generation back, a lot of people thought that formula WAS better. Now we know different.

We got pamphlets in the hospital when my daughter was born that were basically the same idea as this, except about "back to sleep" for SIDS. It was a grandma helping the mom put the baby in the crib and she says something like "When you were a baby, we put you to sleep on your tummy, but now we know better. Put baby to sleep on her back." When I went to the hospital's baby care class, there was a lot of that too - "Your parents will tell you that they did XYZ with you when you were a baby, but now we know more and we recommend ABC instead."

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,166,813 times
These are from the NYSDOH. Here are links to the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjoWWUYDKQM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyxh8...eature=related

Personally I did lose a lot of weight after having my baby and I think that breastfeeding helped because once I weaned I went back up to my pre-pregnancy weight. I know that this is not true for everyone though. Some women hold onto their weight while breastfeeding and only lose once they wean.

Breastfeeding is the healthiest choice but I'm not sure how I feel about hearing the grandma in the second video claim that her grandchildren will be healthier because her dd is breastfeeding them. It's a blanket statement and as we all know there are always other factors to take into consideration.

I'm all for breastfeeding promotion through support, factual information and statistics. It is a public health issue so I understand why WIC is promoting breastfeeding and I support them in doing that. I'm just not so sure that the message they are choosing to send with these videos is the right approach.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,378,807 times
WIC offers more food for woman who choose to breastfeed. They get additional packages of certain things and they also get a voucher they can use at the supermarket for fresh fruit or veggies.

The program (and I assume, the commercials) are geared to increasing breast-feeding rates. My friend works for a local social service agency that provides different support services including WIC for young, economically disadvantaged mothers and the vast majority do not breastfeed.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,593,756 times
I do think it's odd to see a commercial for breastfeeding, but only because they are uncommon. There's not much to market, unlike bottles and formula brands. I wouldn't be surprised to see an ad from La Leche League or some breastfeeding coalition (if they have commercials reminding you to eat pork or advising California cheese, I don't see why not), but I can't remember any. And I do think parents who use formula might feel offended at what the commercial days. But from the standpoint of what WIC wants to accomplish--healthy, nourished children with lower rates of illness and lower health care costs from a population at risk--then I think it can only encourage good things. Breastfeeding is good for mom and baby, and it's cheaper too.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM

1) Breastfeeding initiation was at an all-time low in 1971. Only 24% of mothers in the US tried breastfeeding even once. Today*, 75% of mothers in the US try breastfeeding. Therefore, the situation in the commercial in which the mother is breastfeeding but the grandmother did not, is very common. The line about "we know better now" is likely to combat the popular "and you turned out just fine" which the mother is likely to hear (not only about breastfeeding either...).

2) Mothers on WIC are much less likely than those not on WIC to breastfeed, and much more likely to supplement with formula if they do breastfeed. This is why WIC is particularly interested in raising breastfeeding rates for their participants.

Breastfed even once:
67% On WIC
77% Eligible but not on WIC
85% Not eligible for WIC

Breastfeeding at all at 6 months:
33% On WIC
48% Eligible but not on WIC
54% Not eligible for WIC

Exclusive breastfeeding at 6 months:
9% On WIC
19% Eligible but not on WIC
18% Not eligible for WIC

Breastfeeding at all at 12 months:
17% On WIC
31% Eligible but not on WIC
28% Not eligible for WIC

Formula supplementation of breastfed babies at 2 days:
31% On WIC
20% Eligible but not on WIC
20% Not eligible for WIC

Formula supplementation of breastfed babies at 3 months:
41% On WIC
28% Eligible but not on WIC
35% Not eligible for WIC

*Data from CDC for 2007

Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM

326 posts, read 834,355 times
Like the other lady said, WIC is a nutritional support program. Of course they advocate breastfeeding!!! Even if mom dosent like bfing it is what is best for baby.

Only issue... Breastfeeding mothers need to have healthy diets. If you BF your child but eat only toxic processed "food" it is no better than formula. If you eat a healthy diet full of raw fruits and vegetables as well as nuts with no toxic food breastmilk can not be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting