Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Is it federal law that the room must ONLY be used for breastfeeding moms? Because if not, it's highly possible that the 'lactation room' was doing double duty as a meeting room or something and thus would explain the need for sign up lists and a few days notice to move around the scheduled meetings allocated to that room.
I'm sure the nurse could have helped her find a place to pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Why did you say "Oh please!" When I was basically saying the same thing you just did, that my co-worker wasn't above using the restroom if she had to as long as she could pump
I think she just used your post as a jumping off point to elaborate on what you said.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,245 times
What's this three days waiting period? Clearly the company doesn't understand that a woman needing to pump can't wait three days to do it... or they need to accommodate her in the meantime.

She was definitely sue-happy though and should NOT have quit her job. She could have done what a number of your have suggested.

Hec, currently my company has no where for me to pump three times a day. We moved offices four days after I came back from maternity leave. Even the offices have windows to the hallway with no blinds or covers. I have to use a public bathroom stall and get an extension cord running to the only outlet in there. Strangers come and go all of the time. It sucks... no bits about it, but I'm not quitting my job because my company isn't making a special place for me, even if by federal law they have to. I probably have a better case than her even....

Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
The thing I don't get here is her complete lack of trying to elevate the issue. Who know's what's up with the nurse, but her floor manager wasn't the decision maker here. She should have immediately requested to speak with her boss's boss or the HR department. I guarantee you that anyone worth their salt in management would have cleared this up right away, apologized and moved on. The fact that she did not attempt to resolve the issue with her employer through the various channels she had available in a company that size, leaves me with the impression that this is all about resentment.

She resented the fact she had to return to work early. She resented the fact she had a stack of work waiting for her that was going to require OT to sort through to get done. She resented the fact her employer expected her to meet certain deadlines or she would be reprimanded. She ran into a technicality and used the opportunity to quit and file her lawsuit. Sorry, her actions have no justification. Had she gone to HR or climbed the chain of command and still not gotten a resolution, then I could see her right to sue under current laws.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The thing I don't get here is her complete lack of trying to elevate the issue. Who know's what's up with the nurse, but her floor manager wasn't the decision maker here. She should have immediately requested to speak with her boss's boss or the HR department. I guarantee you that anyone worth their salt in management would have cleared this up right away, apologized and moved on. The fact that she did not attempt to resolve the issue with her employer through the various channels she had available in a company that size, leaves me with the impression that this is all about resentment.

She resented the fact she had to return to work early. She resented the fact she had a stack of work waiting for her that was going to require OT to sort through to get done. She resented the fact her employer expected her to meet certain deadlines or she would be reprimanded. She ran into a technicality and used the opportunity to quit and file her lawsuit. Sorry, her actions have no justification. Had she gone to HR or climbed the chain of command and still not gotten a resolution, then I could see her right to sue under current laws.
Exactly. She did not want to be there (for whatever reason) and is hoping she found a way to not be there but still get some cash out of the deal. The sad thing is it's these kind of people who make it difficult for people with valid complaints to be taken seriously.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly. She did not want to be there (for whatever reason) and is hoping she found a way to not be there but still get some cash out of the deal. The sad thing is it's these kind of people who make it difficult for people with valid complaints to be taken seriously.
Just to add to that...I have to say that "hormones" or "desire to be with her baby" are not valid excuses to quit your job in a huff and sue your employer. It seems some people are trying to justify her actions, unfortunately there is no justification.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Just to add to that...I have to say that "hormones" or "desire to be with her baby" are not valid excuses to quit your job in a huff and sue your employer. It seems some people are trying to justify her actions, unfortunately there is no justification.
Agree 100%...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,707 times
I don't know whether or not the law requires it, but I definitely don't think its too much to ask that she let her employer know she would need a place to pump prior to her first day back. No place that I ever worked had a dedicated, full-time pumping room. If there were no other pumping mothers at that time, why would this place have one just sitting around? If she had notified them ahead of time that she would need this, maybe it would have been ready and waiting for her on her first day back, and she wouldn't have had to deal with red tape while they tried to find a place for her.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,265 times
I don't get why she quit. I think she could've explored other options. How about requesting her boss' office while boss went to lunch or a meeting? Can't she go to her car...not ideal either, but it was an option. Offices nearby that did business with them or in the same building? I doubt that bathroom and nursing room were the only two private areas that she could potentially use for nursing. Also...not sure what type of pump she was using but a lot of pumps have a manual pump (takes longer but you can at least get the milk out) and also battery packs for those that need electricity.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
Quote:
Well, there's probably some truth to it. Most of the time when one makes an emotional decision in haste, it's not a good one and I'm guessing that is what happened here.

You're a Dad, right? I don't think you can relate to how strong those post-partum hormones can effect a new mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting