Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Why did you say "Oh please!" When I was basically saying the same thing you just did, that my co-worker wasn't above using the restroom if she had to as long as she could pump
Wasn't directed at you your your comment.....came off wrong via typing.

Was supposed to be more of a " Ya Know? What the heck is wrong with this woman? "

Sorry for not being more clear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Yeah, that'll work.

Let's see, there are about 100 million workers in the U.S. There are about 4 million births per year. So, that would mean that up to 8% of the workforce could be out on "family leave" at any given time. Great idea, but whose going to pay for that? Do you have any idea what that would do to our economy?
Of the industrialized countries, the US and Australia are the only two that do not provide a year of PAID maternity leave and Australia provides the year, just not paid.

USATODAY.com - U.S. stands apart from other nations on maternity leave

Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Of the industrialized countries, the US and Australia are the only two that do not provide a year of PAID maternity leave and Australia provides the year, just not paid.

If maternity leave is paid for by employers in those countries, I'd like to see statistics on how far behind women earn from men compared to the United States. Women earn less here because they take off to have children. I'll bet they earn even less in countries where employers have to pay for a year leave. Furthermore, in the United States, husbands can take unpaid leave when children are born. I doubt those countries pay for both the husband and wife to have paid leave when their children are born.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be great to have more time off. We Americans work more than any other industrialized country. Many of them have set vacation per year that doesn't change when you start a new job. THAT alone would be wonderful. I hate having to negotiate vacation in a job offer. I'm good at it. I usually get 4 weeks vacation when I start a new job. But then I end up surrounded by resentful coworkers who didn't think to negotiate it for themselves.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
I made an error of time. Not all the countries give a year paid. Some give 16 weeks paid and then the rest is unpaid.

I still think the US is backwards with this.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Wow... imagine how much harder it would be to get a job during your child-bearing years if an employer knew from the start that he would have to give you a year off when you decided to have kids - and if they had to PAY YOU for 4 months or more of it!

Any employer would be foolish to hire a woman in her child-bearing years, ever, in that scenario. Now before anyone gets all feminist and upset - just think about it from an EMPLOYER'S point of view. What would the benefit be to hiring a woman over a man? Seriously asking here - I see no benefit and if there's one I'm missing, please point it out.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:14 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

The article also fails to mention the amount of income tax paid in the countries that are providing the best policies. Sweden has one of the highest tax rates in the world, most people are paying over 50% just on income taxes, along with 20% sales tax and property taxes too. The generous policy in Sweden is also often viewed as a way to keep women out of the workplace altogether.

A lot of the things Europeans get such as reasonable vacation policies and affordable if not free college educations are paid for through taxes. Americans already think they are being taxed through the nose, try seeing what you'd be paying overseas.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If maternity leave is paid for by employers in those countries, I'd like to see statistics on how far behind women earn from men compared to the United States. Women earn less here because they take off to have children. I'll bet they earn even less in countries where employers have to pay for a year leave. Furthermore, in the United States, husbands can take unpaid leave when children are born. I doubt those countries pay for both the husband and wife to have paid leave when their children are born.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be great to have more time off. We Americans work more than any other industrialized country. Many of them have set vacation per year that doesn't change when you start a new job. THAT alone would be wonderful. I hate having to negotiate vacation in a job offer. I'm good at it. I usually get 4 weeks vacation when I start a new job. But then I end up surrounded by resentful coworkers who didn't think to negotiate it for themselves.
Maternity leave is paid for by the government, with the employer being reimbursed by the state for the wages paid. Paternity leave is usually paid for by the employer rather than the state though, with the exception of Sweden. Paternity leave in most European countries is a week or two of paid leave, with additional unpaid leave being available as needed.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
The article also fails to mention the amount of income tax paid in the countries that are providing the best policies. Sweden has one of the highest tax rates in the world, most people are paying over 50% just on income taxes, along with 20% sales tax and property taxes too. The generous policy in Sweden is also often viewed as a way to keep women out of the workplace altogether.

A lot of the things Europeans get such as reasonable vacation policies and affordable if not free college educations are paid for through taxes. Americans already think they are being taxed through the nose, try seeing what you'd be paying overseas.
I think what is hard for americans is we are being taxed through the nose but receive very few benefits in exchange. It is one thing to pay 50% taxes if you get healthcare, generous vacation and maternity, childcare allowances and so forth. It is quite another to pay 35% taxes and have basically nothing to show for it other than billions and billions spent on foreign wars.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I think what is hard for americans is we are being taxed through the nose but receive very few benefits in exchange. It is one thing to pay 50% taxes if you get healthcare, generous vacation and maternity, childcare allowances and so forth. It is quite another to pay 35% taxes and have basically nothing to show for it other than billions and billions spent on foreign wars.
Have you ever lived over in Europe or Asia?
There is a reason Americans are not moving over there in droves if the healthcare, vacation and childcare allowance were so amazing....

Sorry the US isn't giving you a free handout ):

One of the benefits of living in America is the freedom of speech and being able to be as ignorant as possible in the use of it.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Have you ever lived over in Europe or Asia?
There is a reason Americans are not moving over there in droves if the healthcare, vacation and childcare allowance were so amazing....
That's not the reason Americans stay here. Americans believe it's difficult to move to a different country. Europeans think nothing of moving from country to country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
One of the benefits of living in America is the freedom of speech and being able to be as ignorant as possible in the use of it.
Living in a different country for a while really helps people appreciate those freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting