Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

this is probably a California law, but my employer had to provide a space for pumping. It was a small office on a different floor than my office. Prior to that, moms used a supply closet. not ideal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
I think that it's because they think you should be at home with the baby rather than at work and pumping. I've seen this is a lot in the workplace. My husband recently overheard a discussion in his office amongst a group of hiring managers who thought they were doing a pregnant woman a favor by not offering her a job because then she could just stay home with her baby instead. It really happens.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I think that it's because they think you should be at home with the baby rather than at work and pumping. I've seen this is a lot in the workplace. My husband recently overheard a discussion in his office amongst a group of hiring managers who thought they were doing a pregnant woman a favor by not offering her a job because then she could just stay home with her baby instead. It really happens.
While I'm sure that things like that happen occasionally, I don't believe that is the norm. Women have been in the workplace for quite awhile now - been pumping awhile too. Maybe I'm spoiled by working for a large and employee-friendly workplace but I just don't believe that every incovenience or "complaint" (and we don't really know whether this was a complaint against the OP, the safety issue or someone trying to help) is a conspiracy against women or breastfeeding.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Sometimes it's just nice to be a guy.... (;>)

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Sorry to ask what may be a dumb question but why do you pump during the day?

I thought that the idea is that one pumps at home before going out to a place where one cant feed or cant take the baby?

I am assuming here that the baby is not at work.

Actually while I think of it, instead of asking for a pump house why not ask for a nursery and take the baby to work?

Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Sorry to ask what may be a dumb question but why do you pump during the day?

I thought that the idea is that one pumps at home before going out to a place where one cant feed or cant take the baby?

I am assuming here that the baby is not at work.

Actually while I think of it, instead of asking for a pump house why not ask for a nursery and take the baby to work?
You cannot go 9 hours without expressing milk during the day, usually. OUCH! and eww (the breasts would leak all over the place).

I have known working moms that work within 10 min of the child care center that would just go feed the baby on the lunch hour, but depending on the age of the baby, that could be stretching it timewise to go between feedings/pumping.

It is hard, if not impossible in some jobs, to work and take care of a baby at the same time and most employers do not have on-site child care nor would they be interested in providing an approved space for a nanny to take care of a baby all day long.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
You cannot go 9 hours without expressing milk during the day, usually. OUCH! and eww (the breasts would leak all over the place)..

Very OUCH! I remember when I was first breastfeeding my daughter and went back to college(she was 6 months) I couldnt go 3 hours without pumping, hurt so bad.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Like cantaloupes on your chest, right? Owwwww

Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Perhaps they complained because you are getting three 10 minute breaks a day that your coworkers don't get.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Perhaps they complained because you are getting three 10 minute breaks a day that your coworkers don't get.
My husband got irritated with the smokers at work always taking breaks, so he started taking "smoker equivalency breaks" to go out and stretch his legs and get some fresh air.

I am sure many people take some sort of break or another whether its to smoke, get a refill on coffee or take a crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting