Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 PM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times

Advertisements

So just as I posted on another pumping thread about how my office doesn't provide me a place to pump so I go to the public restroom, my office changed their tune this afternoon. But not because they thought of it, or knew the law.

I pump in a public restroom three times a day. I have to use an extension cord to the outlet, and I post a sign that reads "Watch out for the cord on the ground". Apparently someone didn't like this and complained to the building's manager. The manager forgot to tell our HR person, until the same person complained AGAIN. Then the manager talked to my company and they made a small space in the storage room for me to pump now.

Aside from the fact that my company should have made a space for me... who complains? What the hec... I tried to be discrete, posted a sign to watch the cord, etc... I can only think this grumpy complainer has no kids.

I guess I'm not really upset though because I have a more private space now.... but I just can't believe my new space originated because someone complained about me pumping in a stall for 10 minutes at a time three times a day. Jeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Perhaps they weren't complaining that you were pumping but rather notifying of a workplace hazard (cord) that could cause an OSHA reportable accident? You should have a better place to pump than a restroom but also, health and safety issues (for everyone) are a very real concern in the workplace.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times
I would have thought of that too... but I was told by our HR person that they were complaining that "someone was pumping in the bathroom". You're right though, the cord was not great, which is why I posted a sign to begin with.
And again, may be a blessing in disguise in the long run because I have a private room now...

Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I was thinking OSHA violation as well. Pretty sure extension cords are an automatic no-no.

Editing to add - hmm weird - what's next? Someone had Mexican for dinner last night and is going #2 in the bathroom? I'd rather hear a breast pump!

Well now you have a more private place - that, I guess, is what matters in the end. Just don't turn into Milton in the basement with the stapler!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Or perhaps they were "complaining" on your behalf? Either way, it worked out for the best for everyone. More appropriate place for you and safer work environment for everyone else using the restroom.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
So just as I posted on another pumping thread about how my office doesn't provide me a place to pump so I go to the public restroom, my office changed their tune this afternoon. But not because they thought of it, or knew the law.

I pump in a public restroom three times a day. I have to use an extension cord to the outlet, and I post a sign that reads "Watch out for the cord on the ground". Apparently someone didn't like this and complained to the building's manager. The manager forgot to tell our HR person, until the same person complained AGAIN. Then the manager talked to my company and they made a small space in the storage room for me to pump now.

Aside from the fact that my company should have made a space for me... who complains? What the hec... I tried to be discrete, posted a sign to watch the cord, etc... I can only think this grumpy complainer has no kids.

I guess I'm not really upset though because I have a more private space now.... but I just can't believe my new space originated because someone complained about me pumping in a stall for 10 minutes at a time three times a day. Jeesh.
Liloulou take this as a blessing in disguise. The grumpy complainer was most likely concerned with health and safety issues than you pumping. Imagine if grumpy complainer didn't see the sign, tripped and fell hard taking cord and suction pumps in the mid hard pumping cycle. All I can say is ouch for you and grumpy!

You got a space now, I wonder if they will let you bring in a rocker and some mags while pumping?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Liloulou take this as a blessing in disguise. The grumpy complainer was most likely concerned with health and safety issues than you pumping. Imagine if grumpy complainer didn't see the sign, tripped and fell hard taking cord and suction pumps in the mid hard pumping cycle. All I can say is ouch for you and grumpy!
owwwww you made me reflexively cringe and grab my chest!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Or perhaps they were "complaining" on your behalf?
That's what I thought - someone thought it was inappropriate, not from your end, but inappropriate for the company to not provide a better space for you.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Out of curiosity, how many employees are there in your company? I belive they have to have 50+ before they are required to provide you with the time and space to pump. Even then they have to come up with an "undue hardship" to deny you but that isn't defined in the law.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Now they'll complain because you have your own room. Jerks. Just go do it at the reception desk.

And my hat is off to you. I'm not going back to work and it's really hard to do this. I wouldn't be able to stick with it if I had to deal with the people in my old office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting