U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your kids on the lips?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,114,565 times

Advertisements

Kiss my teething baby on the lips????? No way unless I want to taste her drool....quite frankly I thought babies and children had the sweetest, softest cheeks made for kissing.

Why would I want to kiss their drooling, sticky lips when they have chunky cheeks from heaven???

Not to mention the germs.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,602,057 times
Those germs are going to be transferred no matter where you kiss! And they are your kid for cripes sake! How germophobic can we get?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,918,897 times
I fail to see what the big deal is, if someone truly feels like it is of a sexual nature to kiss their child on the lips then don't, if it doesn't bother someone else, then kiss away.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,918,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It may not be weird to you, but to other people it will be weird. You may not care what people think, but a high number of people is disgusted by it. My old roommate hated when parents kissed their kids on the lips. Every time it was done on a TV show she would make a comment, let alone when it happened in real life. I don't think it's sexual, but to much of society it is.
Best thing to come of getting old is the realization that life is to short to care about what other people think and I am sure the poster to whom you were referring, could care less about what other people think.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,989,309 times
I think some of it may be a generational thing. All of my elderly relatives ( those over 70) are and were lip kissers. Not my thing but I am not really an affectionate person anyway. Still, there was never anything perverse about it. Much as I didn't care for the lip smacking I sure would give anything for my Grandfather, who would be 96 now, to be alive today and get kissed by him. I wouldn't complain for second.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:25 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,153,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sure even families that don't kiss on the lips are close, affectionate families too.
I never said they weren't. I just see nothing wrong w/ a light kiss on the lips. Sometimes we just hug and kiss on the cheek. When I'm not going to see my father for a long time, I give him a quick kiss on the lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It may not be weird to you, but to other people it will be weird. You may not care what people think, but a high number of people is disgusted by it. My old roommate hated when parents kissed their kids on the lips. Every time it was done on a TV show she would make a comment, let alone when it happened in real life. I don't think it's sexual, but to much of society it is.
I don't care what other people think! There are alot more disgusting things going on in public besides a parent's kiss to their child on the lips. If your old roommate hated seeing parents kiss their kids on TV, I'm sure she's appalld at what she sees on TV now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I fail to see what the big deal is, if someone truly feels like it is of a sexual nature to kiss their child on the lips then don't, if it doesn't bother someone else, then kiss away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I think some of it may be a generational thing. All of my elderly relatives ( those over 70) are and were lip kissers. Not my thing but I am not really an affectionate person anyway. Still, there was never anything perverse about it. Much as I didn't care for the lip smacking I sure would give anything for my Grandfather, who would be 96 now, to be alive today and get kissed by him. I wouldn't complain for second.
Sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I'm glad someone else understands there's nothing perverse about a kiss.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,793,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Kiss my teething baby on the lips????? No way unless I want to taste her drool....quite frankly I thought babies and children had the sweetest, softest cheeks made for kissing.

Why would I want to kiss their drooling, sticky lips when they have chunky cheeks from heaven???

Not to mention the germs.....
I was thinking the same thing when reading this thread. I would not want to get my lips anywhere near drooling! LOL

Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,975,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Those germs are going to be transferred no matter where you kiss! And they are your kid for cripes sake! How germophobic can we get?
Exactly. You're going to get the germs in other ways anyway. This whole, "what about the germs?" gets to me. We encounter germs all the time, but we can't live in plastic bubbles.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,709,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not to bring this thread down, but actually it's the adults' germs that are the problem. You can transfer a very nasty bacteria to an infant's mouth called Streptococcus mutans or S. Mutans - which is the main cause of ECC or Early Childhood Caries, formerly known as baby bottle rot. It's a really horrible infectious disease that causes rampant tooth decay in young children, and they believe it's transmitted to a child by it's primary care giver, usually the mother.

So if your infant has any teeth, be very careful about transferring your saliva to his/her mouth, until they are about 30 months old. That includes licking spoons, putting the paci in your mouth, that kind of thing.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but it's very common, and often undetectable until the damage is done.

Ok sorry, PSA over.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 10-17-2010 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: typi

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,975,074 times
I'll also say that even though I see no problem with this, I did not grow up that way. In fact, I never remember being kissed by anyone in my family. We hug in my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or