U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you kiss your kids on the lips?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,253,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My almost 3 year old girl wants to kiss me on the lips sometimes. I tell her no we kiss on the cheek. I only kiss her on the lips and its just a very quick peck when SHE intitiates it or insists on it. I think it can be very sweet.
A quick peck is all I was talking about regarding kissing family members, other than my husband. I'm more of a hugger now that my daughter's a teen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't think lip kissing per se is sexual or creepy--it just seems like an invasion of my personal space.
A little peck to me isn't sexual either, but that's jmo. I do agree that it can be an invasion of space for some. I had an uncle that was a little too kissy for me, always hugging, always wanting to hold my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am not attacking the not kissing stance. I totally understand that it's a personal preference. However, I am a bit irritated with the sexual and dirty connotations that have run rampant in this thread about those who do kiss on the lips.
I'm not irritated at all. I just never realized so many felt that way. A quick kiss on the lips was just natural to me growing up. It might have to do w/ understanding a person's love language. Some enjoy touch more than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM

14,561 posts, read 8,962,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post

I'm not irritated at all. I just never realized so many felt that way. A quick kiss on the lips was just natural to me growing up. It might have to do w/ understanding a person's love language. Some enjoy touch more than others.
Agreed.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,514,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I am not attacking the not kissing stance. I totally understand that it's a personal preference. However, I am a bit irritated with the sexual and dirty connotations that have run rampant in this thread about those who do kiss on the lips.
So you do feel threatened by how others feel about it. You've gone way over being offended by sexual and dirty connotations. You're last response to me was about my sharing that I feel lips are my children's personal space that should be respected. And you did attack trying to deminish my feelings by saying that hugging and handholding was personal space too. I feel lip kissing is more personal space than hand holding and hugging. You view things differently. So what. Big deal.

I personally have a very adverse reaction to anything that might make me feel like I can't breath. I need to breath. I can barely breath through my nose due to constant allergies. Add to it that I have asthma, and I feel desperate for every bit of air I can get through my mouth. It's not crazy for me to acknowledge that children can have similar feelings way before they are old enough to verbalize those feelings.

Very few people viewed others kissing their own children as sexual and germy. Most people simply said they personally feel it's sexual or could spread germs when talking about their reasons for not kissing to their own children on the lips. There's no reason to take it personally or be irritated. You were not being judged by anyone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I'm glad to hear you're not irritated. Yes, people do have different love lanugages. That's for sure!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 8,962,081 times
If you want to take my posts as being overly offended, go ahead. I know I am not overly offended, just a bit irritated.

*shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting