Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your kids on the lips?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for sharing. Your post might help others realize that the children themselves might not feel comfortable receiving the kisses.

That's why I always thought it was important to only do it when the child initiates the kiss.

When people mentioned germs, they didn't mean they were worried about catching germs from the baby. They meant they didn't want to give their germs to the baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Exactly, you can pass on all sorts of germs to a baby or young child. You can pass cold sores on to babies by kissing them, too.
I understand perfectly what was meant by it and I stand by what I said. If you live in the same house and have such close contact with people (ie - parents & children) those germs are already there.

People are TOO WORRIED about germs. Way overboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I understand perfectly what was meant by it and I stand by what I said. If you live in the same house and have such close contact with people (ie - parents & children) those germs are already there.

I'm more concerned with respecting my children and allowing them to determine how they want to be kissed.

Some people have shared that being kissed on the lips by family as a child made them uncomfortable.

The very fact that some children feel that way (without their parents knowing) is a good enough reason to let all children be the ones who initate kisses on the lips.

Children are individuals in their own right. They're not extentions of parents. People often forget that.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
I'm more concerned with respecting my children and allowing them to determine how they want to be kissed.

Some people have shared that being kissed on the lips by family as a child made them uncomfortable.

The very fact that some children feel that way (without their parents knowing) is a good enough reason to let all children be the ones who initate kisses on the lips.

Children are individuals in their own right. They're not extentions of parents. People often forget that.

My almost 3 year old girl wants to kiss me on the lips sometimes. I tell her no we kiss on the cheek. I only kiss her on the lips and its just a very quick peck when SHE intitiates it or insists on it. I think it can be very sweet.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
My immediate family were always cheek kissers but my aunts and uncles were lip kissers and I hated it as a kid. I always told my daughter we were cheek kissers. She occasionally wanted to kiss me on the lips and we'd do a quick peck but that was it.

I have a cousin who is in his 70's and he's still a lip kisser. I only see him once a year or so and I enjoy his company, but dread the lip kiss.

I don't think lip kissing per se is sexual or creepy--it just seems like an invasion of my personal space.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:

LOL Some people are not ok with hugging either. Or handholding. Should I not do those things until I am positive they will be ok with it?

Please. If my kids don't like something, they let me know. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill for goodness sakes.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM

13,412 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:

I'm not too worried about germs in general, just this one in particular. You won't find a bottle of hand sanitizer in my house, I think kids need germs to build their immune systems.

However, there is little to no education regarding Early Childhood Caries amongst the general public, beyond "don't put your baby to bed with a bottle". People assume that if you don't do that, and that if you don't give your kid a bottle full of Coke, your baby won't get tooth decay. Not so. Breastfeeding babies can get it too. It's a very common infectious disease, and I think it's a good thing to be educated about - might just save you some real grief further down the road.

Oh, and pediatric dentists would like to see infants as soon as the first tooth erupts, in order to assess their risk, and to monitor them on a regular basis. I really, really wish I'd done this. Hopefully some parents reading my post won't make the same stupid mistakes I made.

Sorry if I'm on a bit of a crusade. My child's dentist says it's extremely common, and he wishes people would be more aware, before it's too late.

ETA: Actually, he more accurately said "it's way more common than you would think". I'd hate to see anybody else go through it, that's all.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Finster, if you can direct me to a link or organization about that issue, I would be interested in learning more. And ITA about exposure building strong immune systems.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not too worried about germs in general, just this one in particular. You won't find a bottle of hand sanitizer in my house, I think kids need germs to build their immune systems.

However, there is little to no education regarding Early Childhood Caries amongst the general public, beyond "don't put your baby to bed with a bottle". People assume that if you don't do that, and that if you don't give your kid a bottle full of Coke, your baby won't get tooth decay. Not so. Breastfeeding babies can get it too. It's a very common infectious disease, and I think it's a good thing to be educated about - might just save you some real grief further down the road.

Oh, and pediatric dentists would like to see infants as soon as the first tooth erupts, in order to assess their risk, and to monitor them on a regular basis. I really, really wish I'd done this. Hopefully some parents reading my post won't make the same stupid mistakes I made.

Sorry if I'm on a bit of a crusade. My child's dentist says it's extremely common, and he wishes people would be more aware, before it's too late.

ETA: Actually, he more accurately said "it's way more common than you would think". I'd hate to see anybody else go through it, that's all.
My youngest had this, ended up having to have caps put on his top front teeth. FWIW I never bottle fed him, wasn't really a lip kisser with him, never stuck a paci in my mouth and we never shared spoons. Our pediatric dentist told me is was something that happened during the pregnancy, my son had just turned a year when we noticed the discoloration. I had 4 other children that was raised in the same fashion and none of them ever had this issue. Luckily for us we caught it very early and were able to save those teeth until it was time for him to lose them naturally.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
LOL Some people are not ok with hugging either. Or handholding. Should I not do those things until I am positive they will be ok with it?
Nobody is telling you what you should or shouldn't do. We're all sharing how we feel and how we do things. Everyone is different.

Quote:
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill for goodness sakes.
You're the one making a mountain out of a molehill. You're the one who is attacking others for their personal opinions.

Nobody insulted your opinions, told you were way overboard, or making a mountain out of a molehill.

Any attention you have received in this thread is due to your attacking what others are sharing.

Maybe you simply want attention. Maybe you feel threatened by this subject. I don't know. I don't care to know.

What I do know is that very few people in this thread are debating this subject. Most people are just sharing their personal opinions, feelings, and experiences.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:32 AM

I am not attacking the not kissing stance. I totally understand that it's a personal preference. However, I am a bit irritated with the sexual and dirty connotations that have run rampant in this thread about those who do kiss on the lips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting