Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times

Advertisements

First, no need to look in the phone book for an exterminator. They don't advertise in the Yellow Pages.

When my kids were little we had a serious infestation of closet monsters. Being desperate I had to do SOMETHING!

I didn't want to tell the kids that CM's didn't exist and it was just their imaginations. Doesn't work anyway. So I devised a 'Magic Anti-Closet Monster Spell' to rid our lives of the dreaded nocturnal beasties.

It requires a paper bag, a flashlight and participation from the children or it won't work.

Open the bag and place it in front of the closet door. Turn off the bedroom light,and turn on the flasight then point it at the ceiling and repeat the following;

"Away with you foul beast! Thy presence annoys me! Your growls scare me no longer. I banish you!"

The bag will imprison any monster that dares to leave the closet and renders them invisible until you can throw them away .

I know it's heavy on the theatrics but it took care of those CM's!

According to my oldest daughter it also works on boyfriends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
What a great idea. I love it!
It puts the kids in control of something they fear and this is a wonderful life-long lesson for them.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
That's cute. Maybe Bill Cosby should have used it for those snakes under the bed.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
That is a cute idea. We just convinced our son that Febreeze doubles as "anti-monster" spray. Get's rid of monsters and leaves a clean fresh scent, lol.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Febreeze LOL!

What's wrong with the old fashioned remedy of looking in the closet and under the bed and assuring the child that there aren't any monsters?

And I love the commercial where the little girl has a cell phone and says to the Monster "it says you're not real.....sorry."

Last edited by didee; 10-19-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
What's wrong with the old fashioned rememdy of looking in the closet and under the bed and assuring the child that there aren't any monsters?
I think it goes back to what GloryB was saying. "Monsters" are just a personification of an actual fear or anxiety such as being left alone or the dark. When it came to my son, simply being told there were no monsters didn't seem to work very well, because he was convinced they were still there. Letting him shoot some "anti-monster" spray into the closet and under the bed made him feel like he was capable of dealing with it himself.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Great idea!

My oldest kids never had a fear of closet monsters, but my youngest went through that phase. Someone recommended a book to me, that she had used for her own kids, and it worked! It's called "Goodnight, Baby Monster", by Laura Leuck. It's a book about baby monsters, with the mommy monster putting them to bed at night. The little baby monsters all look real cute and non-scary, and the child identifies with them, and feels less scared of monsters. There are all kinds of mommy "monsters" with their babies portrayed in the book, everything from bats-to-spiders-to-ghouls/vampires/etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post

I know it's heavy on the theatrics but it took care of those CM's!

According to my oldest daughter it also works on boyfriends.
Ha! In that case, the CM is likely to be MrFinsterRufus, with a shotgun - or in keeping with the times, perhaps a taser.

"Don't tase me, Mo!!"

Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Febreeze LOL!

What's wrong with the old fashioned rememdy of looking in the closet and under the bed and assuring the child that there aren't any monsters?

And I love the commercial where the little girl has a cell phone and says to the Monster "it says you're not real.....sorry."
Just looking in the closet did nothing to ease their fears. After all, CM's are magical creatures and can change their appearence!

Taking the approach I did served more than one purpose:

1) the kids HAD to be involved for it to work. That gave them a sense of power.

2) they were concentrating on learning the 'spell' more than the CM.

3) they reasoned that anything that would run away after hearing that silly spell wasn't so tough afterall.

4) we had fun!

Your approach doesn't seem like much fun.. Sorry!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
We had "Monster Banishing Spray" that came in left over windex bottles. It was mostly water with a couple of drops of red food coloring in it. We sprayed it at the closet, under the bed, ect...monsters were ALL GONE!!!!
Worked for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting