Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Any sort of disability, whether it relates to emotional state, physical state, learning issues, etc....would give him rights that the other students do not have. I do not know if this is true in Canada but in the US it can be very hard to take any sort of action against students with disabilities no matter how disruptive they are.

I find it shocking how many people are willing to make David the victim here.

I agree. I don't know exactly what happened because I wasn't there. The end result was my son being punched in the face. I specifically asked the teacher if my son was at fault in anyway and she said no.
If my son had decided to just punch another child like that trust me there would be consequences.
My son also told me that David claimed to have hit his little brother in the head the other day. Mind you I don't know if it's true but that's what David told him. His brother is only 4 months old.
Everyone is focusing so much on this game of tag and not focusing on the fact that this child has had problems at school for 3 years now.
Obviously the supervision at the school is not adequate. Someone is not doing their job.
My son's teacher also says things to them that are not appropriate. For example a boy named Lucas was away from school and she told them why. It turns out he has to have surgery because his nose is not on the right place on his face Was it necessary for her to say this. You can obviously tell that this poor Lucas has a facial deformity. My son says it is quite evident by looking at him and of course this poor child gets teased in class. If I was the teacher I would not tolerate this type of behaviour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I agree. I don't know exactly what happened because I wasn't there. The end result was my son being punched in the face. I specifically asked the teacher if my son was at fault in anyway and she said no.
If my son had decided to just punch another child like that trust me there would be consequences.
If the teacher is ignoring teasing that happens in class to the child with the misplaced nose, what makes you think the teacher would notice or address teasing that happens on the playground?

Quote:
My son also told me that David claimed to have hit his little brother in the head the other day. Mind you I don't know if it's true but that's what David told him. His brother is only 4 months old.
Child protective services should be called to evaluate that household. If David's 4 month old brother is in danger, something should be done.

Quote:
Everyone is focusing so much on this game of tag and not focusing on the fact that this child has had problems at school for 3 years now.
Only because it didn't make sense after you got the story from your son. Prior to that, we were all 100% supportive. We're still supportive. We're not posting in this thread to hassle you. We care that you have this problem. We're trying to help you get to the bottom of it. The bus incident story doesn't make sense either. We can't understand how the teacher saw David hit your son, but didn't see your son hit him back. We're NOT saying your son is a bad kid. We're saying that there isnt' enough supervision at the school and the teachers aren't effectively solving these problems.

Quote:
My son's teacher also says things to them that are not appropriate. For example a boy named Lucas was away from school and she told them why. It turns out he has to have surgery because his nose is not on the right place on his face Was it necessary for her to say this. You can obviously tell that this poor Lucas has a facial deformity. My son says it is quite evident by looking at him and of course this poor child gets teased in class. If I was the teacher I would not tolerate this type of behaviour.
Again, you've provided yet another story where classmates are ganging up on a child who is different and teasing him. Can't you see this is partly the problem? One day the child with the nose in the wrong place might start hitting kids for teasing him, like David is now. Then he becomes an out of control kid who is being punished. The school needs to address all types bullying, not just the physical bullying.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Everyone is focusing more on David, because Lisa keeps emphasizing David. Stop talking about what your son tells you about David, what other kids have said about David, what other parents have said about David. Every single post Lisa writes emphasizes David. You've even gone to the trouble to give David a name - does anyone here know Lisa's son's name? And now this Lucas kid with the deformed nose..we know his name too.

When you stop focusing on everything EXCEPT for your son, everyone will stop responding about everything EXCEPT for your son.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 AM

613 posts, read 991,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If the teacher is ignoring teasing that happens in class to the child with the misplaced nose, what makes you think the teacher would notice or address teasing that happens on the playground?

Child protective services should be called to evaluate that household. If David's 4 month old brother is in danger, something should be done.

Only because it didn't make sense after you got the story from your son. Prior to that, we were all 100% supportive. We're still supportive. We're not posting in this thread to hassle you. We care that you have this problem. We're trying to help you get to the bottom of it. The bus incident story doesn't make sense either. We can't understand how the teacher saw David hit your son, but didn't see your son hit him back. We're NOT saying your son is a bad kid. We're saying that there isnt' enough supervision at the school and the teachers aren't effectively solving these problems.

Again, you've provided yet another story where classmates are ganging up on a child who is different and teasing him. Can't you see this is partly the problem? One day the child with the nose in the wrong place might start hitting kids for teasing him, like David is now. Then he becomes an out of control kid who is being punished. The school needs to address all types bullying, not just the physical bullying.
^^ 100% This

Lisalan, please read this post and see that everyone is trying to be supportive. However, understand that being supportive doesn't always mean saying only what you want to hear.

There are clearly issues in your son's class, and not just with David. The teacher sets the tone for the entire class...if she turns a blind eye to teasing, the teasing will continue. Her comments are clearly inappropriate regarding this other child as well.

Personally, I would be up at that school, I would be asking that teacher questions face to face and gauging her reactions, I would be up there observing the classroom during the day, during lunch, during recess.

Forget about this thread. Go up to that school, everyday if you have to, until you find out what is going on in that classroom.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Once again you're missing the point. Instead of focusing on what you are, or could be, or should be doing about your son, you're focusing on David's name, and your perception of my responses, and how you feel about my posts...

What are you doing about this situation? What are you doing to support your son? Have you taken any of the advice given by anyone here? Have you considered wsop's advice about going to the school regularly and asking to observe your son's interactions?

I did give you advice, in my last post, which you feel is an insult (any time anyone disagrees with you or offers advice you don't want to hear, it's an insult). The advice is to stop focusing on David.

One of your concerns here was that everyone keeps responding to your posts, with their opinions about David, and you want people to stop doing that. My response to this, is that we would be glad to stop talking about David, if you would kindly stop bringing him up in every one of your posts.

Are you not noticing that it's your obsession with David that is encouraging discussion about him? Are you not noticing that your own son's needs are being ignored in exchange for focus on David? Are you not noticing that when anyone (not just me..ANYONE) posts advice you don't want to hear, or disagree with, you turn the thread into a "you hurt my feelings I am insulted" whine against the poster, instead of considering the advice about your son, who you claim this thread is about?

This thread is supposedly about your son. What are you doing, pro-actively, to keep your son safe in school? What are you doing, pro-actively, to teach your son how to keep himself safe in school? What are you doing, pro-actively, to ensure that he knows how to prevent being bullied? What are you doing, pro-actively, to encourage your son to be the loving, caring, confident, and safe young man that you claim you want him to be?

You can't DO anything about David. David is not your son, he's not your responsibility. Your son is. What are you doing for your son?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
This thread is supposedly about your son. What are you doing, pro-actively, to keep your son safe in school? What are you doing, pro-actively, to teach your son how to keep himself safe in school? What are you doing, pro-actively, to ensure that he knows how to prevent being bullied? What are you doing, pro-actively, to encourage your son to be the loving, caring, confident, and safe young man that you claim you want him to be?

You can't DO anything about David. David is not your son, he's not your responsibility. Your son is. What are you doing for your son?
THIS lisalan!!

I'm on YOUR side. I've urged you to go down to the school multiple times. Have you gone down to the school yet? Do NOT wait for the parent teacher conference. Put on your Mother Bear hat and make sure your son #1) Doesn't get bopped by David again and #2) Knows how to deal with these situations. Because they are going to keep coming up. Your children will be meeting a TON of "Davids" in their lives.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
THIS lisalan!!

I'm on YOUR side. I've urged you to go down to the school multiple times. Have you gone down to the school yet? Do NOT wait for the parent teacher conference. Put on your Mother Bear hat and make sure your son #1) Doesn't get bopped by David again and #2) Knows how to deal with these situations. Because they are going to keep coming up. Your children will be meeting a TON of "Davids" in their lives.

Thank-you. It means a lot to me. I just wanted to say that I really respect and value your opinion. You sound like a wonderful parent. I have to remember that there are a lot of genuinely nice and caring people on the parenting forum. The mean and hateful ones are a minority

Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Thank-you. It means a lot to me. I just wanted to say that I really respect and value your opinion. You sound like a wonderful parent.
Thank you. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the immagination but I try. Again, lisalan, you are your children's #1 protector. Did your husband get involved in this at all? Sure doesn't sound like it. You need to rev yourself up, get confidence in your own abilities as a mother, and tackle the world. You are the Mother Bear. No one else is going to be there for your kids. Doesn't sound like Dad is. Your kids are going to be looking to you for help and guidance for many, many years to come.

Mother Nature gives moms tremendous powers. Tap into the resolve that is deep inside and use it! It's OK to be agressive. It's OK to assert yourself. Those little kids need a mom who will stand up for them 'cause the world is a rough and tumble place.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thank you. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the immagination but I try. Again, lisalan, you are your children's #1 protector. Did your husband get involved in this at all? Sure doesn't sound like it. You need to rev yourself up, get confidence in your own abilities as a mother, and tackle the world. You are the Mother Bear. No one else is going to be there for your kids. Doesn't sound like Dad is. Your kids are going to be looking to you for help and guidance for many, many years to come.

Mother Nature gives moms tremendous powers. Tap into the resolve that is deep inside and use it! It's OK to be agressive. It's OK to assert yourself. Those little kids need a mom who will stand up for them 'cause the world is a rough and tumble place.
No my husband didn't get involved. You're right. He relies on me to do everything. You are so right about that momma bear instinct.
Here's a little story. My brother got hit by a car when he was about 4. He got away from a family friend who was walking him back home. My mom who was 9 months pregnant at the time saw my brother on the other side of the fence with blood on his face. She jumped over a tall fence at 9 months pregnant to get to him.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times
How about going to the local police and filling out an assault report because the last time I checked a punch in the face is considered an assault. The ONLY acceptable consequence is that he other child be suspended, because I guarantee you if your child had defended himself he would have been suspended as per the school policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting