U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 AM

9,804 posts, read 10,227,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
One of my kids had a trunk or treat at his school last night. I bought and brought the candy. I didn't spend anywhere near $100 and we handed out candy to over 250 kids and I came home with one big bag 'o candy that went un-opened.

I just checked: The Hershey/Twizzler's Halloween pack I bought contains 120 pieces of candy and cost $7.99 ($8.54 after sales tax). For $100 I could buy 11 bags of this candy and have 1320 pieces of candy to hand out. If doubled-up and gave 2 pieces to each trick-or-treater that would be enough for 660 kids. If tripled-up and gave 3 pieces, 440 kids. If quadrupled - enough for 330 kids.

Buy the big packs of candy!
Last week Publix had the Skittles/Starburst 90 piece bag on sale buy one get one free so for $9.99 you can get 180 pieces. This week they have the 100 piece Nestle bag on sale buy one get one free so for $10.99 you can get 200 pieces of chocolate.

I usually mix it up and give the kids one chocolate and one non chocolate each. In the weeks before Halloween the supermarkets usually have really good sales on candy. If you buy the big bags of what is on sale you can get a lot of candy at really good prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:19 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,171,970 times
I don't care what age the trick-or-treaters are that are coming. The age thing is sort of self-regulating, as the young kids come first with their parents, just as it is getting dark, so they get the first dibs at the good candy (we let them choose a couple of pieces, then have play dough for extra cool costumes), then the slightly older ones, and the teenagers at the end, when there may or may not be any candy left, depending on the night. We turn off the porch light and candles in the pumpkins when we are out of treats, and never had an issue with being "tricked" for that.

As we are beside a primary school in a very safe, pedestrian friendly subdivision, we get lots of trick-or-treaters; two years ago, with Halloween on a warm Friday night, we had close on 700! We buy several bags of candy/ chocolate at Sam's Club, usually about 50 dollars worth including the special stuff as "awards" for good costuming.

Last edited by Penguin_ie; 10-24-2010 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,126,741 times
I wish we had trick-or-treaters of any age.

For the past 8 years we've lived in a tiny rural neighborhood with 12 houses, each set on a few acres. No one (except for the kids who live here) come to my house. I leave a bowl of candy on my front porch just in case, but when we come home from trick-or-treating in town, there are usually only a few pieces missing.

When we lived in a suburb of NYC we'd get lots of trick or treaters (b/w 100 and 200). The stores usually had sales during the month leading up to Halloween, so we'd just buy a bag of candy each week until we were set.

The only time older kids annoyed me was when they'd come without costumes and without saying "trick or treat." Come on, even if you don't want to get dressed up you can at least say, "trick-or-treat." I also make my kids say, "thank you" as well since people are generous enough to buy them candy.

Around here our town has taken a cool approach to helping the families who live in town with the expense of handing out candy. Since it's a rural area, everyone descends upon the three blocks that comprise our town village and a typical house will see over 500 trick or treaters. During the month leading up to Halloween, the local supermarket has a bin where you can drop a bag of candy. A few days before Halloween, the town distributes the candy to the families to hand out. We always contribute since we take our kids into the village to trick or treat.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 AM

16,701 posts, read 11,154,177 times
Quote:
Around here our town has taken a cool approach to helping the families who live in town with the expense of handing out candy. Since it's a rural area, everyone descends upon the three blocks that comprise our town village and a typical house will see over 500 trick or treaters. During the month leading up to Halloween, the local supermarket has a bin where you can drop a bag of candy. A few days before Halloween, the town distributes the candy to the families to hand out. We always contribute since we take our kids into the village to trick or treat.
Cool idea!

We live in a subdivision with lots of kids of varying ages. Plus, because we do have rural areas nearby, those kids come to trick or treat here also. I used to host a spaghetti dinner for my son and his friends when they were in later elem. school. The kids would come to our house, eat and get costumed up then leave in a large group to trick or treat. I miss those days! They had so much fun. I usually spend about $50 on candy and still have some left over. I am really trying hard to imagine what kind or how much candy one would have to buy to be spending $100....Either full sized candy bars or over 1000 small children (since teens are turned away). I've lived a lot of places in my life and never seen over 1000 small kids alight on one house.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM

67,298 posts, read 54,882,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I wish we had trick-or-treaters of any age.

For the past 8 years we've lived in a tiny rural neighborhood with 12 houses, each set on a few acres. No one (except for the kids who live here) come to my house. I leave a bowl of candy on my front porch just in case, but when we come home from trick-or-treating in town, there are usually only a few pieces missing.

When we lived in a suburb of NYC we'd get lots of trick or treaters (b/w 100 and 200). The stores usually had sales during the month leading up to Halloween, so we'd just buy a bag of candy each week until we were set.

The only time older kids annoyed me was when they'd come without costumes and without saying "trick or treat." Come on, even if you don't want to get dressed up you can at least say, "trick-or-treat." I also make my kids say, "thank you" as well since people are generous enough to buy them candy.

I can relate to your first paragraph. We live in a neighborhood of 30 ish year old houses. When we first moved here 21 years ago, we had tons of kids. That continued for about 15 years. Now, we get way fewer, especially if the weather is bad, e.g. cold, which is common in metro Denver. I like to say the kids have gotten older but the parents haven't, LOL!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I can relate to your first paragraph. We live in a neighborhood of 30 ish year old houses. When we first moved here 21 years ago, we had tons of kids. That continued for about 15 years. Now, we get way fewer, especially if the weather is bad, e.g. cold, which is common in metro Denver. I like to say the kids have gotten older but the parents haven't, LOL!
Haha....the weather has been pretty mild this year...but even so, it usually manages to be nasty on Halloween. It's an odd phenomenon isn't it?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 AM

40,258 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like to say the kids have gotten older but the parents haven't, LOL!
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Haha....the weather has been pretty mild this year...but even so, it usually manages to be nasty on Halloween. It's an odd phenomenon isn't it?
It's either downright cold, raining or both here. I remember getting sick many Halloweens and needing to be taken home before I was done trick-or-treating!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 PM

18,870 posts, read 13,496,346 times
Where my Mom lives, people drive up from the other side of town so she has tons of children, they even come up in church vans and buses packed with kids. I don't understand why they don't Trick or Treat in their own nieghborhood...

Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,249,742 times
I think it's kind of sad when a kid kind of wants to go out trick-or-treating but has decided he or she is too old for it. I certainly don't begrudge them one last year, or two last years - it's their last grasp on childhood, let them have it. They have to give up their childhood soon enough.

Too often kids are trying to grow up too fast - it's nice to see kids still wanting to be kids - don't worry about that 6'2" 17 or 18 year old - you can be sure it's one of the last times he's going to enjoy that.

I think it's only people who lost the child in them too soon who can't understand it.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Where my Mom lives, people drive up from the other side of town so she has tons of children, they even come up in church vans and buses packed with kids. I don't understand why they don't Trick or Treat in their own nieghborhood...
Perhaps they live in a neighborhood where it is unsafe or they live in a rural area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting