Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA, Oct. 20 (UPI) -- Despite two decades of declining U.S. teenage birth rates -- women ages 15-19 -- state birth rates vary significantly, federal health officials say.

U.S. teen birth rate highest in the South - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Whether or not a teenage mother chooses to abort her child has much to do with it. That varies significantly between states as well. For example, some states that have low teen birth rates have a high teen birth : abortion ratio. New York and New Jersey have the highest ratios, with 61% of teen pregnancies ending in abortion. Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont are not far behind, with 53%, 49%, and 47% respectively. The states that the article cites as having a high teen birth rate also have some of the lowest teen abortion ratios - Texas with 17%, Mississippi with 16%, Arkansas with 13% Oklahoma with 15%, and New Mexico with 22%.

( Source: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf )

Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
The abortion and birth rates both indicate a serious problem throughout our country. Teens shoudn't be getting pregnant in the first place.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Whether or not a teenage mother chooses to abort her child has much to do with it. That varies significantly between states as well. For example, some states that have low teen birth rates have a high teen birth : abortion ratio. New York and New Jersey have the highest ratios, with 61% of teen pregnancies ending in abortion. Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont are not far behind, with 53%, 49%, and 47% respectively. The states that the article cites as having a high teen birth rate also have some of the lowest teen abortion ratios - Texas with 17%, Mississippi with 16%, Arkansas with 13% Oklahoma with 15%, and New Mexico with 22%.

( Source: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf )
I agree with this, and throw in the (mainly religious based) idea that abstinence is an effective form of birth control for teenagers. While obviously it would be - if it were practiced - the fantasy that teenagers are going to wait until marriage to have sex is just that, a fantasy.

In this day, when people are not getting married until they are in their 30's, the idea is antiquated and impractical. It worked far more effectively when people would routinely marry between 18 and say 22, and went straight into the workforce out of high school, but you cannot realistically expect a teenager in the 21st century who is expected to go to college until their early 20's, and then embark on a career of some sort, to wait until marriage to have sex.

I would like to see the pharmaceutical companies develop a form of birth control, beyond condoms, which would be safe (as possible) and aimed specifically at young girls - taking into account that they are still developing, starting around 13 - 14. We've got to remove the stigma that surrounds putting your daughter on birth control at a young age. It's really, IMO, the most effective way to prevent teen pregnancy.

We've got to, as parents, face up to the idea that most 16 -17 year olds are going to start their sexual lives, whether we want them to or not.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:10 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree with this, and throw in the (mainly religious based) idea that abstinence is an effective form of birth control for teenagers. While obviously it would be - if it were practiced - the fantasy that teenagers are going to wait until marriage to have sex is just that, a fantasy.

In this day, when people are not getting married until they are in their 30's, the idea is antiquated and impractical. It worked far more effectively when people would routinely marry between 18 and say 22, and went straight into the workforce out of high school, but you cannot realistically expect a teenager in the 21st century who is expected to go to college until their early 20's, and then embark on a career of some sort, to wait until marriage to have sex.

I would like to see the pharmaceutical companies develop a form of birth control, beyond condoms, which would be safe (as possible) and aimed specifically at young girls - taking into account that they are still developing, starting around 13 - 14. We've got to remove the stigma that surrounds putting your daughter on birth control at a young age. It's really, IMO, the most effective way to prevent teen pregnancy.

We've got to, as parents, face up to the idea that most 16 -17 year olds are going to start their sexual lives, whether we want them to or not.
I agree with you whole heartedly. However the other part of the equation is STD's

OCP's are effective in preventing pregnancy but offer no STD protection, barrier methods are still necessary and must be emphasized.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
What about male birth control---for males of all ages. I know it's coming for adult males, but sex/pregnanc/birth control bias has always made me sick.

Part of the stigma you talk about originates in gender bias in sexuality---women are sl%ts and man are studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I agree with you whole heartedly. However the other part of the equation is STD's

OCP's are effective in preventing pregnancy but offer no STD protection, barrier methods are still necessary and must be emphasized.
Definitely, but a more dependable form of birth control should be used in conjunction with condoms because teens are less likely to abstain if they discover they dont' have a condom.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What about male birth control---for males of all ages. I know it's coming for adult males, but sex/pregnanc/birth control bias has always made me sick.

Part of the stigma you talk about originates in gender bias in sexuality---women are sl%ts and man are studs.

Definitely, but a more dependable form of birth control should be used in conjunction with condoms because teens are less likely to abstain if they discover they dont' have a condom.
I agree, that would be great. But it's not even a reality (male birth control) for adult men, let alone teenage boys. And if you're the parent of a daughter, are you going to leave the risk of her getting pregnant at 15 in the hands of a teenage boy?

If parents of adolescent males do their part in instilling the use of condoms into their kids at a very young age, and provide them with said prophylactics, that would be fantastic too. I say we throw everything we've got at it.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I say we throw everything we've got at it.
I totally agree. Your post inspired a semi-related rant. I tend to do that on occasion.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
In the south, there is a lot of opposition to sex education classes that do anything other than talk about abstinence. On the Texas ballot, we have a proposition this year that insists on requiring a sonogram and looking at it for any mother who wants a *medically unnecessary* abortion. While I don't favor abortion, I think discriminating against women when this should be a decision between her and her doctor is a crime.

Note, we were just discussing this on another board and a Canadian member talked about the fact that starting in grade 5 and continuing every year until "Grade 12 Sex Day,* they got the information to make good decisions. Also the fact that you could get the morning after pill from any clinic or hospital for free was emphasized. The gross details about STDs grossed her out as well. Condoms were easily available and kids used them.

We need to do more of that here in the US.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In the south, there is a lot of opposition to sex education classes that do anything other than talk about abstinence. On the Texas ballot, we have a proposition this year that insists on requiring a sonogram and looking at it for any mother who wants a *medically unnecessary* abortion. While I don't favor abortion, I think discriminating against women when this should be a decision between her and her doctor is a crime.

Note, we were just discussing this on another board and a Canadian member talked about the fact that starting in grade 5 and continuing every year until "Grade 12 Sex Day,* they got the information to make good decisions. Also the fact that you could get the morning after pill from any clinic or hospital for free was emphasized. The gross details about STDs grossed her out as well. Condoms were easily available and kids used them.

We need to do more of that here in the US.
The sexual education has nothing to do with it! In US and in UK children learn sexual education in schools! Yet these countries are the first two when it comes to teen pregnancies! Yet countries like Switzerland, Austria or some parts of Germany where the stupid sexual education is not learned there are no problems with teen pregnancy!
The same thing about the divorce rates and other mental problems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting