U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM
 
14,514 posts, read 8,788,498 times
Reputation: 6779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Thruthfully its simply my prefrence as a father that I don't want my son to play with Barbie period. IMO it is a "girls only" toy whereas "Hot Wheels" can be played with by both boys and girls (although its marketed to boys). I didn't even compromise and allow him to play with Ken because IMO Ken was never "male enough" for a boy to play with. If Ken were aimed at boys I might have a different opinion. I just put my foot down on this subject and did not back down.
So, I was right. It's ok for your daughter to have a bad image of women's bodies, but not your sons. Hmmm. Makes perfect sense to me.

And if you were my husband? Oh you'd back down. Oh yes you would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
4,037 posts, read 5,077,805 times
Reputation: 3587
Smile So sad to have this so televised

One of the reasons I was always for school uniforms is because of the "she has the $100 outfit" type and this poor boy. If they have to wear uniforms until 8th grade, this is what you have to do. Children get used to constraints within society.

They also do better in school, they know why they are there and when they get home, they can live by their own home rules.

I understand why the mom televised it but I feel sorry for her son when he is 25 and googles his name.

The world may say it's tolerant but it's not. It's more accepting in a way but you will never not have the little groups. I (personally) have a disability and I feel it every day. It's unwritten but it's there, definitely there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: California
25,486 posts, read 16,813,372 times
Reputation: 17898
Hmm. I don't really care what this boy ends up being but I've got to say that I wouldn't be letting him wear dresses out in public or to school. I'm the mom and my kids wore practical clothing that I picked out for them and that's how I would handle this as well. If he wanted to put on high heels when he got home that would be an option, but not for school. It's one big distraction to everyone, including the other kids who do not need to be confronting these complex social issues yet...that takes away from the learning at school that SHOULD be taking place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM
 
556 posts, read 415,293 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Hmm. I don't really care what this boy ends up being but I've got to say that I wouldn't be letting him wear dresses out in public or to school. I'm the mom and my kids wore practical clothing that I picked out for them and that's how I would handle this as well. If he wanted to put on high heels when he got home that would be an option, but not for school. It's one big distraction to everyone, including the other kids who do not need to be confronting these complex social issues yet...that takes away from the learning at school that SHOULD be taking place.

AGREE! Also I think this is a prime example of the crap parenting has become. "He prefers dresses so by golly he can wear dresses!". Well, most kids prefer candy. Can they have that for every meal?

This is also another example of blaming others for your actions. If a boy is wearing a dress to school, especially at that age, it's just BEGGING to have other kids look at him crooked and make comments. At that age children have no filter and aren't being "bullies" (cringe) when they say "nanny nanny boo boo you look like a girl!! You can't play with us".

Dress up = FINE. Halloween = FINE. Daily wear =LAZY ATTENTION ***** PARENTS THAT WILL SACRIFICE THEIR CHILD FOR THEIR OWN GAINS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 3,276,228 times
Reputation: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So, I was right. It's ok for your daughter to have a bad image of women's bodies, but not your sons. Hmmm. Makes perfect sense to me.

And if you were my husband? Oh you'd back down. Oh yes you would.

I'm fairly sure in rl his wife didn't back down either. You read his posts they are all full of this male bravado on what he says and does and how hard his foot gets put down in his house. He also seems to think it's okay his son was allowed out at night *with generous extensions during the weekends* but his daughter is never allowed to be, but she needs to learn that life isn't always fair so it is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
 
14,514 posts, read 8,788,498 times
Reputation: 6779
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I'm fairly sure in rl his wife didn't back down either. You read his posts they are all full of this male bravado on what he says and does and how hard his foot gets put down in his house. He also seems to think it's okay his son was allowed out at night *with generous extensions during the weekends* but his daughter is never allowed to be, but she needs to learn that life isn't always fair so it is okay.
I wish I had a puking smiley. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
 
14,514 posts, read 8,788,498 times
Reputation: 6779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
AGREE! Also I think this is a prime example of the crap parenting has become. "He prefers dresses so by golly he can wear dresses!". Well, most kids prefer candy. Can they have that for every meal?

This is also another example of blaming others for your actions. If a boy is wearing a dress to school, especially at that age, it's just BEGGING to have other kids look at him crooked and make comments. At that age children have no filter and aren't being "bullies" (cringe) when they say "nanny nanny boo boo you look like a girl!! You can't play with us".

Dress up = FINE. Halloween = FINE. Daily wear =LAZY ATTENTION ***** PARENTS THAT WILL SACRIFICE THEIR CHILD FOR THEIR OWN GAINS.
Yep. You are right. Because we must all conform to the status quo or be picked on. Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
 
556 posts, read 415,293 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yep. You are right. Because we must all conform to the status quo or be picked on. Give me a break.
I don't think NOT cross dressing is status quo. Anyway, this country was a much better place when people wanted to fit in and be functioning members of society. When the cool thing to be was good and decent and hard working. When standing out wasn't the main objective. Before everyone was demanded to accept all that they don't agree with. Basically before the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM
 
5,951 posts, read 2,921,705 times
Reputation: 7094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I don't think NOT cross dressing is status quo. Anyway, this country was a much better place when people wanted to fit in and be functioning members of society. When the cool thing to be was good and decent and hard working. When standing out wasn't the main objective. Before everyone was demanded to accept all that they don't agree with. Basically before the 60's.
I see what you're saying here, kel, but I can't agree that this country was really a better place, before the 60's.

Then, fitting in also meant it was ok to assault gay people, not give women equal pay, not have married working outside the home at all, humiliate black people by not letting them have the same rights and privileges as whites, and any number of other bigoted ideas that people have fought hard to overcome since then. A lot of people then did not accept or agree that these were bad concepts.

If having some kids standing out is one of the consequences of all those people's struggles since the 60's, then I think that's a small price to pay. (I don't actually think it's a bad thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
 
556 posts, read 415,293 times
Reputation: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I see what you're saying here, kel, but I can't agree that this country was really a better place, before the 60's.

Then, fitting in also meant it was ok to assault gay people, not give women equal pay, not have married working outside the home at all, humiliate black people by not letting them have the same rights and privileges as whites, and any number of other bigoted ideas that people have fought hard to overcome since then. A lot of people then did not accept or agree that these were bad concepts.

If having some kids standing out is one of the consequences of all those people's struggles since the 60's, then I think that's a small price to pay. (I don't actually think it's a bad thing).
Those things were the downside of that era. I will not argue that one bit. But everyone just went to the other polar end of the spectrum and to me it's no better.

And look at the outcome of fixing those problems....not give women equal pay, not have married working outside the home = women are now the meanest, hardest and most judgemental and detrimental people to other women. Now SAHM are judged and treated like dirt.

humiliate black people by not letting them have the same rights and privileges as whites, = now racism against white people is openly acceptable and downright encouraged.

It just seems like there are still no equal rights. There is no respect for home, people, family, country, or even self respect any more. It's all about bad behavior, odd behavior, blaming others, shock value and pushing the envelope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top