Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Hey, you're welcome!

I was thinking we often favored the older one's activities, thinking as you do, plus thinking that the younger one would always have another chance, etc. However, as my kids got a little older, I started re-thinking that and felt like the younger one's activities were important, too, at their own time. I remember making my older daughter go to the younger one's soccer game once; she was a bit miffed, but did do it. They were about 11 and 14 at the time.

My kids did much together; both did gymnastics and were even on the high school team together one year. (That was not a good year for the younger one; it was much better when her sister was off at college.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Does it make you feel good to kick people in their weakest spots? Just curious.
You're way off base there. Nobody else thought that was what she was saying at all.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 30. I was also terrified of driving, and had been fortunate enough to never need to actually do it. But the time came when I finally had no choice and it was the best thing I ever did.

If you get the chance to see someone to help you work through this issue then you should. You never know what is around the corner and overcoming this before you 'need' to will always be preferable to having to do it under duress.

Enjoy your parade tomorrow, your kids are going to have a great time!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I didn't learn to drive until I was 30. I was also terrified of driving, and had been fortunate enough to never need to actually do it. But the time came when I finally had no choice and it was the best thing I ever did.

If you get the chance to see someone to help you work through this issue then you should. You never know what is around the corner and overcoming this before you 'need' to will always be preferable to having to do it under duress.
As long as we're talking about learning to drive: My grandmother didn't learn until she was 65! So age, at least, has little to do with it.

Yes, please let us know what you decided to do and how things went.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
I don't think the little kid should miss their first halloween parade.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Well. I missed older son's parade because the one teacher told me it was cancelled due to rain. I ended up taking my younger son to his parade/party, but did miss the older one's parade.

I don't think preschool and elementary are on the same level. To me preschool is much more "optional" than elementary and that includes events and parties.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Well. I missed older son's parade because the one teacher told me it was cancelled due to rain. I ended up taking my younger son to his parade/party, but did miss the older one's parade.

I don't think preschool and elementary are on the same level. To me preschool is much more "optional" than elementary and that includes events and parties.
It is all too easy to say the younger one can do it next year, his activities are more optional, etc. However, most parents do not skip these early activities for their oldest one due to something more pressing. The kid's party is the most pressing thing in that case! There are times in parenting when you can't do everything and you have to set some priorities. I don't remember a specific dilema like this when my kids were little, but I guess I'd recommend being evenhanded in your choices, in other words, don't skip the younger one's activity every time there is a conflict.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is all too easy to say the younger one can do it next year, his activities are more optional, etc. However, most parents do not skip these early activities for their oldest one due to something more pressing. The kid's party is the most pressing thing in that case! There are times in parenting when you can't do everything and you have to set some priorities. I don't remember a specific dilema like this when my kids were little, but I guess I'd recommend being evenhanded in your choices, in other words, don't skip the younger one's activity every time there is a conflict.
That's very true. I do have to try and be more balanced between the two and not always think "there is always next time". Good point.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
That's very true. I do have to try and be more balanced between the two and not always think "there is always next time". Good point.
Though I can say as an oldest it sucked to here "well you already had your turn" and parents not wanting to come to as many of my things. I remember we had to celebrate my 18th birthday on a different day because my sister was cheering...which she later quit....and the only thing I wanted to do in HS was cheer and I didn't make the team. Happy Birthday to me I guess...

Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Though I can say as an oldest it sucked to here "well you already had your turn" and parents not wanting to come to as many of my things. I remember we had to celebrate my 18th birthday on a different day because my sister was cheering...which she later quit....and the only thing I wanted to do in HS was cheer and I didn't make the team. Happy Birthday to me I guess...
That's not right either. But I agree that each child should be "first" sometimes.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My older daughter celebrated her 18th birthday in the hospital while her sister had surgery for melanoma. Things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting