Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
What happens to all those super sensitive allergic kids when they become adults?

What happen if I have a peanut butter sandwich at work?

Why are people ridiculing peanut allergies. Would you make fun of someone with diabetes, kidney disease????
Anyways where I used to work someone was allergic to seafood and peanut butter and we could not eat those foods on that same floor and these are adults we are talking about. What did I do. Respect the fact that the person could become very ill if I ate those foods on that floor. I did not throw a freaking hissy fit because I couldn't have my precious life-sustaining PB sandwich

Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
Quote:
Ah. I beg to disagree here.

On the first level if you take to an extreme that would make it OK to feed your kids ....hmm drugs.... nothing (starve em).....fat fat and more fat. Oh hang on thats the norm so I guess that fat is OK.

Of course someone has the right to tell you what to feed your kids.

In reality, we need to stay away from extremes but it is always handy to look at the extremes because the issues become more obvious when you consider the extreme. Then we need to pull back to a more realistic and moderate position.

So the reality is that someone else does tell us what to do in the extremes but when it comes to the middle of the issue, then it is basically up to the parent. The parent can say decide the kid will be vegitarian or will have soda for lunch.

Now we have a slightly different issue and that is the kid is at school. Not at home and as parents keep sayingwhen the kid is at school, the school has certain responsibilities. We all see lots of posts complaining that schools don't do their responsibility properly. Just look at all the heart ache over bullying to see this. The school has responsibility and they say X and so you shoudl do X. Luckilly we live in a pretty free society where we have the choice. If we really don't like X we can go change schools or home school.
Guess we didn't realize the OP was from Australia.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyfartsymom View Post
ZIMBLCHICK posted: "This really makes me mad. The percentage of children with "real" risk of reaction via inhalation is miniscule, extremely rare. Most of these kids have severe ingestion allergies, not inhalation, they can touch or inhale nuts all days long with no reaction as long as they don't eat them. It should be adequate for them to sit at a different table if necessary. If they do indeed have an inhalation allergy, then sorry to say, but they should eat in a different room."

See, I'm conflicted about this part... One of the schools I teach at (travel from school to school (3) to teach art) there are only 98 kids, and one of them has a life threatening peanut allergy. If we even have it on our hands and he touches us it could kill him. (We had to have TWO staff meetings about this). In addition, his doctor sent to school a memo/report talking about what food products he could not ingest, but could handle, and what objects were sensitive enough to be INHALED. Bad stuff. Poor kid.

ANyways, would it be fair to make him eat all by himself in a separate room because of this? No. He didn't choose that, God made him the way he is!

We have a strict NO NUTS/ NO PEANUT BUTTER policy at our school. Sucks, but we deal with it because the safety of our kids is always #1!

Good for your school

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I got the impression that Nicole was unaware of the policy when she sent the soda with her kids. I don't think she purposefully set out to break the rules. Finding out the rules later then caused her to wonder at the rule itself and posted here asking opinions on the rule. That's how I saw it anyway. I do agree that the rules need to be followed but I disagree with the implementation of the rule to begin with.
Obesity is a huge problem in this country. Soda is not healthy. No one is saying you can't give your kids soda. The school is saying it is not allowed at school. Seems like common sense to me....I never had soda allowed at school for me back in the 80's. Nor did my parents ever pack me a soda in my lunch. School is a place to learn...teaching kids that soda is unhealthy is not a bad idea and enforcing it at school by not allowing is better for ALL the children.

So, your kids can drink all the soda that you want them to...just not at school.

Same goes for a dress code, or no smoking at the high school.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Of course, zoom over your head went the point of my post. Your child has to be responsible for their food allergy, and until they are old enough you have to be, not the school, or the other parents. The only absolute guarantee of safety is if you control what they eat. Trying to make the entire world a safe place for a child with food allergies is just not going to happen, and it is a gamble. Expecting people with no knowledge of food allergies to be able to read food labels and make informed decisions about food ingredients is really risky, and is a risk I am not prepared to make with my child. All you can do is verify the food your child eats is safe, and your home is safe.

Nowhere did I claim to be a world expert. I am a Pediatric ICU nurse who has a child with a severe tree nut allergy, that's all. I ask a lot of questions, and I do a lot of research. I want to prevent my son experiencing accidental ingestion just like every other parents of an allergic child. Believe what you like, perhaps you may want to do a little more research too.
I don't need you to tell me to do research. I am very well educated and I have already done much research on this subject Parents cannot be at school with their young allergic children for goodness sakes. The last time I checked schools didn't allow each parent to attend school with their child every day and monitor what they eat and make sure little Johnny doesn't wipe his PB infested hands all over contact surfaces. Therefore the school HAS to be involved. I suggest YOU do a little more reading.
I sense so much hatred on this forum and discrimination towards allergic children.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-28-2010 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,242,895 times
I am not really sure what has been going on lately but every thread does not need to meet the standards for a Federal Case! Give it a rest! We can agree to have differing points of view without being mean spirited and going off topic.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
If all you have to be worked up over is not being able to send a soda to school, be thankful you don't have worse things going on in your life. It's a freaking soda. Give it to her at home!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Ah. I beg to disagree here.

On the first level if you take to an extreme that would make it OK to feed your kids ....hmm drugs.... nothing (starve em).....fat fat and more fat. Oh hang on thats the norm so I guess that fat is OK.

Of course someone has the right to tell you what to feed your kids.

In reality, we need to stay away from extremes but it is always handy to look at the extremes because the issues become more obvious when you consider the extreme. Then we need to pull back to a more realistic and moderate position.

So the reality is that someone else does tell us what to do in the extremes but when it comes to the middle of the issue, then it is basically up to the parent. The parent can say decide the kid will be vegitarian or will have soda for lunch.

Now we have a slightly different issue and that is the kid is at school. Not at home and as parents keep sayingwhen the kid is at school, the school has certain responsibilities. We all see lots of posts complaining that schools don't do their responsibility properly. Just look at all the heart ache over bullying to see this. The school has responsibility and they say X and so you shoudl do X. Luckilly we live in a pretty free society where we have the choice. If we really don't like X we can go change schools or home school.
I have no idea what you're even trying to say here. The issue is soda in school not fat. Frankly the OP could send her child to school with a Crisco and white bread sandwich and no one would say anything but OMG a soda! It's political correctness and not much else.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
I very seriously doubt that our grandchild will ever be in public school. Her mother is her teacher in a private school at the moment and she is prepared to homeschool if the need arises. She has a degree in special education that will allow her to teach any child. I never see soft drinks in their home and we are people who understand and follow rules, but I think there is an overboard thinking about controlling parts of a persons life now that is beyond liberty and therefore is wrong.

There is no authority except that which has been given and the right to have authority over a child is given to the parents by God and no one has a right to usurp that. But our government does not seem to understand that children are under the authority of their parents and the child's education should be under the authority of the parents. Anyone or any government that tries to mess with that authority is doing wrong. Unless there is a good reason not to eat any food a child wants, the parent should have a right to provide it for that child. The only exception should be when that food would harm someone else and in that case, I think the person that wants to eat a food harmful to someone else should be the one sitting at a separate table, not the one that would be harmed. Children should not be singled out in that way. The food allergy is enough problem already.

In the case of our grandchild, her mother is very stressed because she says she feels like the food police. She is teaching our grandchild that she is special and therefore can only eat certain things. She is only four, but realizes that certain foods make her sick. She has spent days in the hospital where she underwent close to $20,000 worth of tests and almost died before the doctors got to the bottom of what the problem is. If she had different parents, she might already be dead, but God knows which parents will give the special attention needed for a special child.

You would think she would be scared of doctors and see them as the enemy, but she has a wonderful attitude. I had a bandage on one day when they were visiting and she was showing me so much sympathy. She explained to me that she had pretty bandages and would I like for her to get one for me. I told her no that my doctor wanted me to use the ugly bandage I had on my leg. She pointed at the bandage and said, "I can fix that." Which alarmed me a little because this child is a child of action so I gave her a questioning look. Then she said, "I am going to be a doctor." Guess we need to be saving our money to pay for medical school.

I said all that to make the point that our grandchild has special needs and life is not easy for her or her mother and dad, but in all other ways except diet, she is normal and her feelings can be hurt by a lack of understanding by selfish people.

Last edited by NCN; 10-28-2010 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,023,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have no idea what you're even trying to say here. The issue is soda in school not fat. Frankly the OP could send her child to school with a Crisco and white bread sandwich and no one would say anything but OMG a soda! It's political correctness and not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.