Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 AM

604 posts, read 750,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Okay, I'm sure this happens every year but this year, I must have taken extra notice.

This afternoon, I take my DD12 to the party store to get her Halloween stuff. She doesn't fit into the kiddie costumes anymore, so we have to get something from Juniors or Womens..... Sheesh!! When did Halloween become "free pass to dress like a **** day"???????????????? Darn near every costume was shorter than short on the bottom, lower than low on the top, with the requisite fishnet stockings and, of course, the model on the package had spike heels or stripper platforms on.

Thankfully, we found something age-appropriate (after a 30 minute search), but why is it that these companies target this crap at women/teen girls??? None of the teen boy or men's costumes were revealing in any way ---- cop uniform, army, scream, rock star, ketchup/mustard jar, etc. Why do they think women/teen girls have to dress as subservient skanks on a holiday that's supposed to be fun?

There are two commandments for Corporations

Make money.
NExt to that, and nearly as important: Sex sells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Well, we only had a handful of trick-or-treaters last night and there were no sexy costumes. We had some princesses, some cute animals, a few hippies and a geisha girl.

My favorite was the family next door that came dressed as various super heroes. The parents and kids always coordinate their costumes. Last year they were characters form the Wizard of Oz. The year before that, they were characters from Peter Pan.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
There are two commandments for Corporations

Make money.
NExt to that, and nearly as important: Sex sells
Meh. Not necessarily.

Sure it might make an ad stick out or whatever, but studies have shown that it really depends on the product, demographic and where the ad is placed.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well the "outfit" you posted is a swimsuit not a halloween costume. Most women wear a bathing suit to the beach or pool and then COVER UP when they are off the beach or out of the pool. It is not considered acceptable, even here in Fl where we swim all year, to wear a two piece bathing suit as regular clothing. When was the last time you saw someone in the grocery store wearing a swimsuit with no cover up?

I think it goes back to the poster who said that there is a difference between sexy and skimpy. An outfit can show some skin and not necessarily be overtly sexual. The pictures of my son's friends in their matching boxing made the kids look very very sexual. The picture you posted is simply a little girl in a bathing suit. Even though they show the same amount of skin one has a much different implication than the other.

The kids I am talking about are 16 and I think it's a judgment call about whether kids that age are ready for such sexually suggestive costumes. Some parents may think its ok and others think its a bit over the top. However, I think most would argue that those type of costumes are not appropriate for preteens.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
I never let my daughters wear something like that either. Those kind of tops end up riding up anyway, so the little girl ends up flashing everybody. Flat chests in triangle tops look ridiculous.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well the "outfit" you posted is a swimsuit not a halloween costume. Most women wear a bathing suit to the beach or pool and then COVER UP when they are off the beach or out of the pool. It is not considered acceptable, even here in Fl where we swim all year, to wear a two piece bathing suit as regular clothing. When was the last time you saw someone in the grocery store wearing a swimsuit with no cover up?

I think it goes back to the poster who said that there is a difference between sexy and skimpy. An outfit can show some skin and not necessarily be overtly sexual. The pictures of my son's friends in their matching boxing made the kids look very very sexual. The picture you posted is simply a little girl in a bathing suit. Even though they show the same amount of skin one has a much different implication than the other.

The kids I am talking about are 16 and I think it's a judgment call about whether kids that age are ready for such sexually suggestive costumes. Some parents may think its ok and others think its a bit over the top. However, I think most would argue that those type of costumes are not appropriate for preteens.

Hmmmm but it's Halloween, a night for dressing in public as one normally wouldn't.

It's the posing, not the outfit you have an issue you with.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I never let my daughters wear something like that either. Those kind of tops end up riding up anyway, so the little girl ends up flashing everybody. Flat chests in triangle tops look ridiculous.
That is personal opinion. A lot of my friends let their kids (boys and girls alike) go bare chested anyway.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Because there are so many ying-yang parents who have no problems sexualizing their nine-year old daughters and they BUY them.

(Fair warning: You may not want me to get started on this...)
Oh get started, please do.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Hmmmm but it's Halloween, a night for dressing in public as one normally wouldn't.

It's the posing, not the outfit you have an issue you with.
NO-it's not the posing.

Well the first time I saw the outfit it was on a friend's facebook page. The friend is 16 and he posted pictures of he and his girlfriend (I don't know the girl) at a party in the costumes. I was a little surprised that the girl's mother allowed her to wear the costume because I thought it was pretty sexy for a high school kid. I only posted the amazon link because I didn't want to post the kids pictures here.

I have a problem with 16 year old girls walking around town at night in such suggestive clothing. If she attracts the attention of men are they dirty old men? I think that this girl went to a party with other high school kids so she would probably be ok, but I think this is what the OP is battling because there are few choices for adult sized female costumes that are appropriate for an 11/12 year old girl.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
NO-it's not the posing.

Well the first time I saw the outfit it was on a friend's facebook page. The friend is 16 and he posted pictures of he and his girlfriend (I don't know the girl) at a party in the costumes. I was a little surprised that the girl's mother allowed her to wear the costume because I thought it was pretty sexy for a high school kid. I only posted the amazon link because I didn't want to post the kids pictures here.

I have a problem with 16 year old girls walking around town at night in such suggestive clothing. If she attracts the attention of men are they dirty old men? I think that this girl went to a party with other high school kids so she would probably be ok, but I think this is what the OP is battling because there are few choices for adult sized female costumes that are appropriate for an 11/12 year old girl.
And I don't have a problem when that night is Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting