Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Hey, you can find costumes that are not sexy or slutty. I like scary costumes better.

If you must do princessy ones

Glinda
Traditional Ladies Halloween Costumes available at ScarePros.com

From Grease
Traditional Ladies Halloween Costumes available at ScarePros.com

Scarier ones

Scary Womens Costumes at ScarePros.com

Elegant Witch Adult Costume - Costumes

Mummy Queen Adult Costume - Costumes

Corpse Bride Petite Adult Costume - Costumes

Walmart

Walmart.com: Green Sparkle Witch Adult Halloween Costume: Halloween

Walmart.com: Spider-Girl Teen Halloween Costume: Halloween

Walmart.com: Captain America Teen Halloween Costume: Halloween

Walmart.com: Aesthetic Angel Adult Halloween Costume: Halloween

Target
Women's Monsters, Horror + Gothic Halloween Costumes : Women's Halloween Costumes : Halloween Costumes + Dress-up : Seasonal + Events : Target

Halloween Superstore
1/2 Price Sale on Costumes

Now, some of these take a bit of digging to find, but it looks like you can find good costumes if you want them.

Yeah, I know, guys proably think this one is sexy.
Walmart.com: Star Trek Classic Deluxe Dress Adult Halloween Costume, Gold: Halloween
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:29 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
You are delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
You can argue whether costumes are age appropriate or not but you can't argue the fact that girls are engaging in sexual acts at a much younger age.

Sure I can - because it's not true. This is just more sentimentality. We always think "boy things sure are much worse than they were then" but most of the time it's because WE WERE NOT AROUND THEN. Even if we were, we're REMEMBERING though more innocent eyes.

20 years ago I dated a woman of 24 who had lost her virginity at 12 - but she had begun "playing" (actually, giving head) when she was 9. My cousin who is 1 year younger than me (47) lost hers at 12. My uncle used to tell me about young girls he messed around with when he was young, and if he was still alive he'd be like 100. Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin at 13. How many first ladies were under 21 when they were married?

Communication technology puts this all much more in your face. The only thing new is that we're now more AWARE of other people's behaviors, preferences, and perversions.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yeah....that's why you see sooooo many burqua's on the beach...as well as so many adult women in downtown Kabul selecting these same costumes from their local Target after they've finished shopping at Victoria's Secret. I can see where you might feel we are "just left" (by a hair) of Muslim countries when you compare Kabul to Los Angeles....
Sort of a sidebar, but...Muslim women DO shop at places like Victoria's Secret. They love to wear sexy underwear and lingerie just like western women. The covering they do is for out in public, not at home.

The NY Times had an article on this a year or so ago about the awkwardness of Saudi women shopping for sexy lingerie in their home country. When the women go shopping at a Victoria's Secret-type store, it's embarrassing both for the women who have to ask a man to find something for them and for the men who have to go get it for them. Seems as if the easy solution would be to ALLOW WOMEN TO HAVE JOBS IN RETAIL, but apparently that's completely out of the realm of possibility.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think of these very sexy outfits on young girls as immoral, as much as I think it is just unwise. When you put a young girl out there, looking older and ready for sexual activity you will get boys and men pursuing her. it's only natural for that to happen but I think it's unwise to allow it at to young an age.

I certainly don't think of sex as immoral.
And with real pervs, not your typical horny 15 year-old boy, but a grown man with a sexual penchant for pre-pubescent girls--they truly believe that these young girls are deliberately enticing them. Dressing them like little hos will only reinforce that belief. That's why a lot of these girls get murdered--the perv fantasizes that a 10 or 11-year-old girl is going to respond to their advances the way an adult woman would, and when she is frightened or crying, they realize they are in trouble and will have to kill her.

Was reading an interview once with a man who was convicted of molesting children and what his life is like now that he is out of prison. They are taught to avoid places and situations where they will be tempted--and he specifically said he makes plans to be out of town on Halloween.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
Oh pulease. You're saying that letting a girl trick or treat in a mature costume is going to get her murdered?

The kind of stuff you are talking about is so rare you'd have more cause for concern about her getting electrocuted in the bathroom.

Why do you think whats-his-name said he plans to be out of town on halloween? Because of all the kids running around looking like strippers? Or because of all the kids running around looking like KIDS? A pedo is attracted to kids, not adults. Wouldn't someone who has a fetish for children be more turned on by a kid that's dressed like a princess than a prostitute?

Nah, makes too much sense...

Old 11-02-2010, 07:27 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
I don't know, why don't you tell us?

Quote:
Oh pulease. You're saying that letting a girl trick or treat in a mature costume is going to get her murdered?

The kind of stuff you are talking about is so rare you'd have more cause for concern about her getting electrocuted in the bathroom.

Why do you think whats-his-name said he plans to be out of town on halloween? Because of all the kids running around looking like strippers? Or because of all the kids running around looking like KIDS? A pedo is attracted to kids, not adults. Wouldn't someone who has a fetish for children be more turned on by a kid that's dressed like a princess than a prostitute?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
LOL, that's a new one. Dress your little girls up like skanks, people. It'll turn the creeps off!

My daughter is 14. I don't worry about pedophiles leering at her; I worry about grown men who think she looks plenty old enough to screw. That's why I don't let her dress like she would welcome the attention.
That's the point I was trying to make. It has nothing to do with pedophilia but everything to do with a girl looking like a woman and attracting the attention that a woman attracts when she looks good. From normal men. Or even boys who are a bit older. Is my 16 year old a pedophile if he is oogling a sexy 13 year old who looks every bit of 16 to him? No-he's just a horny high school kid.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:

No that's not what I was saying. Just throwing it out there for consideration.

But you are wrong. It's not that rare. I recently read a book on the minds of serial killers written by a retired FBI guy who was one of the early profiles, and the thing that stuck with me as he described the behaviors in case after case were that there were so damn many of them that I'd never heard of, mostly because they happened in other states. For every Jon Benet Ramsey "celebrity" type of child murder, there are many more that are only known locally.

Even if they aren't murdered, there are about 100,000 children each year in the US who are the victims of commercial child prostitution and child trafficking. In the 12 years since the Child Victim Identification Program started, they've reviewed 38 million sex photos and videos of kids. All of those are pictures of sex crimes taking place against children.

You still think it's a great idea to dress your little girl like a hooker, well, that's your choice. Apparently a lot of other people out there think that's a great idea, too.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
In my view being attached or molested by a peodophile is not the issue.

Firstly it is unlikely to happen and secondly the simple precaution is to have the kids walk in groups.

To me the issue is mainly self worth. Actually the more I think about it the less I think there is an issue. If the kid feels good then my role as the parent is to protect them from said nasty dudes. Showing a little skin, well in a way what are we afraid of. Skin is natural. God made skin.

And who cares about people that oggle. In fact there is an interesting contradiction that we see in society. Men are attracted to the way women dress but then you get the woman who has dressed in a way that attracts attention complaining when she gets oogled. What I would say is that no matter what a woman wears it does not give any guy permission to touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting