Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,075,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Our daughter would wear neither of them. Both of them are exceedingly inappropriate for any situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 AM

783 posts, read 2,254,282 times
But you are wrong. It's not that rare.

Molestation and murder by a stranger? No, I am right, I've researched this quite a lot. MOST abduictions, molestations, and even murders happen by someone the kid knows, usually a neighbor or extended family member.

38 Million pictures does not equal 38 million kids - and you're assuming they are all american, the vast majority of which are not. One can take 1000 or 10000 pictures of a person, you make no mention of this fact in your "data."

Even if they aren't murdered, there are about 100,000 children each year in the US who are the victims of commercial child prostitution and child trafficking.

And this is because they wore costumes someone found too sexy?

You're obviously more intent on proving how right you are than rational debate. I'm bored. Ciao.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 AM

88,372 posts, read 84,409,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
But you are wrong. It's not that rare.

Molestation and murder by a stranger? No, I am right, I've researched this quite a lot. MOST abduictions, molestations, and even murders happen by someone the kid knows, usually a neighbor or extended family member.

38 Million pictures does not equal 38 million kids - and you're assuming they are all american, the vast majority of which are not. One can take 1000 or 10000 pictures of a person, you make no mention of this fact in your "data."

Even if they aren't murdered, there are about 100,000 children each year in the US who are the victims of commercial child prostitution and child trafficking.

And this is because they wore costumes someone found too sexy?

You're obviously more intent on proving how right you are than rational debate. I'm bored. Ciao.
Yes, we're all aware by now that most crimes against children are perpetuated by family members and or acquaintances. I guess it never hurts to restate the obvious. Re the pictures--I never said otherwise, and my "data" in your cutsie little quotes comes from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which I am sure has researched this quite a bit more than you have.

Never said it was because of the costumes, but I suppose that's a great way to "miss" the point. Rational debate, lolol. This is C-D, dude.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,252,471 times
Sooo, I guess if grown men find something sexy, we shouldn't allow girls to wear it. Ok, cool. Better talk to the Catholic schools then about their girls' uniforms. And not let girls dress up as nurses. Or school teachers.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,868,550 times
Quote:
Sooo, I guess if grown men find something sexy, we shouldn't allow girls to wear it. Ok, cool. Better talk to the Catholic schools then about their girls' uniforms. And not let girls dress up as nurses. Or school teachers.
I guess if you're ok with your 12 year old attracting the attention of grown men it's none of my business. If I had a daughter I would not allow my young teen to walk around in a costume that attracts the attention of grown men.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,228,675 times
Quote:
To me this is kind of the essence of the argument.

On the one hand we do as adults need to understand that men (and boys) find girls clothing attractive. Its the way we are. I assume that even just occasionally, you mothers dress your selves up because your significant other enjoys it. So yes, understand that it attracts attention and as parents our job is to ensure that our daughters are kept safe from that attention and no way does it give anyone male or female for that matter the right to touch the kid (or adult for that matter) no matter how much the male gets excited. Guys, go have a cold shower.

But why say to your girl, you can't do such and such because some guy will find that a turn on.

If we take that argument to an extreme, then lets dress girls and women in burqas.

What message does this say to the girls - That you should be somehow ashamed of your body. That you have to hide it away. Or does it say, Gee guys have so little self control that we (girls) have to control them for their own benefit and girls safety by haiding the girls in dowdy clothes. How negative.

Then finally, on the catholic uniform issue, I wrote a post someplace on a interview I had heard with a catholic school lady about the short uniforms and when they were brought in they did not have the sexual conotations that they do now. I suspect that whatever teen girls wear in this generation, the same kids when they are older will some how sexualise it. Maybe if all parents dressed their girls in burqas now, that in 30 years, burqas would be seen in the same light as a catholic uniform is now.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,690,955 times
The costumes aren't nurses, or teachers, though; these costumes are parodies of the costumes of real professions, just sexed up to a level more appropriate for women, not girls.

I don't think it has as much to do with how others might react, but rather how these extra-sexy costumes push girls to think of themselves as being sexy at a younger age. Why can't our preteen girls just enjoy being girls? And how come attractive, good looking, and yes, sexy, can't be defined in other ways besides wearing one of these ridiculous costumes? It's not about hiding your body away, but allowing girls to not be pushed prematurely into an adult role before they are emotionally and physically ready.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,866,412 times
One of many in your collection???

Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,252,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I guess if you're ok with your 12 year old attracting the attention of grown men it's none of my business. If I had a daughter I would not allow my young teen to walk around in a costume that attracts the attention of grown men.
I'm ok with admitting I cannot control what other people find attractive. So, I will allow myself and my children to dress basically how they want and learn that other people cannot or will not control themselves. So they need to learn self defense and defensive techniques to not be a victim.

I will not allow myself or my children to be so afraid as to live their lives around that fear. It's ridiculous, IMO.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,244,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The costumes aren't nurses, or teachers, though; these costumes are parodies of the costumes of real professions, just sexed up to a level more appropriate for women, not girls.

I don't think it has as much to do with how others might react, but rather how these extra-sexy costumes push girls to think of themselves as being sexy at a younger age. Why can't our preteen girls just enjoy being girls? And how come attractive, good looking, and yes, sexy, can't be defined in other ways besides wearing one of these ridiculous costumes? It's not about hiding your body away, but allowing girls to not be pushed prematurely into an adult role before they are emotionally and physically ready.
I think this is well said. It's not so much whether there is actual danger, but it's just grossly inappropriate. If we don't think it's appropriate for girls of that age to BE sexually active, think of themselves this way and have OTHERS think of them this way, why is it appropriate to dress them such?

One of my friends, a single dad with girls this age, was complaining about this phenomenon on Facebook the other night. Apparently, this trend is rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting