Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,346,006 times

Advertisements

So lisalan....it's Tuesday. Did you ever speak to the teacher or administration about the situation(s) at hand?

Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I agree with you that education is the best thing. However, this is the school that acts like they are so vigilant. They require a consent for administration of the epipen written by his allergist every year. they require him to wear a medic alert bracelet and an epipen in a fanny pack. Another epipen must be at the office etc
It is just so ironic that all these supposed safeguards are put in place and then a PB cup ends up in his lunch. Don't you think it's kinda stupid?
Yes, that is very weird, but I can't stress the education thing enough (I know I sound like a broken record here, but we went thru this with my son as well, so I feel your pain)- if your son is EDUCATED on what he can and cannot eat, these things shouldn't even be problems, since he'll know not to eat it.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,316,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
But he didn't, so why is it a big deal? It is great that you educated your son though. My son also had a severe egg allergy (which he grew out of) and by 5, he pretty much knew exactly what he could eat and what he could not eat. I think that's the best thing you can do- EDUCATE so you don't have to worry about your son eating things that could cause him to go into an anaphylactic shock.

I'm happy he grew out of the egg allergy. Can I ask how old he was when he outgrew it? My son is also allergic to eggs, sesame, shellfish, tree nuts.
I got him a flu shot for the first time this year but it had to be administered in intervals by an allergist.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm happy he grew out of the egg allergy. Can I ask how old he was when he outgrew it? My son is also allergic to eggs, sesame, shellfish, tree nuts.
I got him a flu shot for the first time this year but it had to be administered in intervals by an allergist.
Wow, I can't imagine dealing with all of those allergies! I am lucky- none of my 5 have ANY allergies, execpt for my son (but he has completely grown out of it).

He grew out of it when he was 6 (he's 10 now). I'm surprised your son hasn't grown out of his egg allergy- our pediatrician informed us that most kids grew out of the allergy by age 5 or 6. He was actually only allergic to the proteins in the yolk, but was not allergic to the egg white. We never feed him anything with eggs in it though- didn't want to risk it.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,480,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It does sound like your school went overboard and would not inconvenience the teachers in terms of the snacks. As preschool teachers, we were used to cutting up snacks anyway.
It has & for that I am sorry. But all the schools in our area, private & public, have almost the same list.

I do support it but also feel I have the right to voice an opinion about it. The Scooby Doo graham crackers are expensive. Teddy Grahams are not cheap, either. And I rarely see coupons for either.

It just went very extreme all of a sudden. And the principal said last yr they had 15 students district wide & this year it has tripled?? I can't grasp how it is exploding at such a rate. Honestly find it rather confusing.

The teachers are also not allowed to bring in peanut based products for their lunch & parents are not allowed to give homebaked goods at CMas time, etc. I love to bake & every yr do something different such as cookies one yr, breads another & so on. I make it a beautiful presentation and have my son make the card. This yr I am not allowed to do that & instead either follow the list (now that would be funny) or buy them the ever unneeded candle. Probably buy them the depersonalized gift card to somewhere.

I have friends w/ children who have allergies & those with older kids have all outgrown them. My middle one has eczema which can be an indication of allergies further down the road & even asthma...will wait & see.

My son attends a peer mentoring preschool. The last thing I want to do is require his teachers to do anymore than they already do for it is a fantastic place.

Maybe in the end though all these lists will do some good b/c our children really do need less amounts of sugar & processed foods in their system.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM

613 posts, read 988,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
WSOP- even a 7yr old would throw away a Reese's or give it away if he/she knew she was deathly allergic to it.
Young children do things ALL the time that can cause them harm and that baffle us as adults. We usually think they should know better, but often they don't. I don't understand why adults can not see that children do NOT reason like adults.

Obviously, Lisalan's son knew enough about the dangers to not eat the candy, but if his teacher allowed the candy to be handed out by another child OR handed it out herself and told the kids to put it away, I can see how a SEVEN year old would follow those exact directions and put it away.

The fact of the matter is, the teacher should have NEVER allowed the peanut butter cup to be given to Lisalan's son in the first place.

It is evident from all of her recent threads that the supervision in her son's class is severely lacking.

Today it is a wrapped peanut butter cup in his bag, tomorrow this brain dead of a teacher might serve her son a food that contains his allergen.

While some adults get it, you would be truly amazed at how stupid some adults, even teachers, can be when it comes to allergies, even when they have been trained by the nurse or parent. Given what we know of this teacher so far, I'd say she fits in the latter category and Lisalan has every right to be livid.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,480,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Young children do things ALL the time that can cause them harm and that baffle us as adults. We usually think they should know better, but often they don't. I don't understand why adults can not see that children do NOT reason like adults.

Obviously, Lisalan's son knew enough about the dangers to not eat the candy, but if his teacher allowed the candy to be handed out by another child OR handed it out herself and told the kids to put it away, I can see how a SEVEN year old would follow those exact directions and put it away.

The fact of the matter is, the teacher should have NEVER allowed the peanut butter cup to be given to Lisalan's son in the first place.

It is evident from all of her recent threads that the supervision in her son's class is severely lacking.

Today it is a wrapped peanut butter cup in his bag, tomorrow this brain dead of a teacher might serve her son a food that contains his allergen.

While some adults get it, you would be truly amazed at how stupid some adults, even teachers, can be when it comes to allergies, even when they have been trained by the nurse or parent. Given what we know of this teacher so far, I'd say she fits in the latter category and Lisalan has every right to be livid.

Thus homeschool if the place is such an utter pit of hell that doesn't meet one's expectations. If the parent works, oh well, figure something else out. Lots of other parents do it every day.
The public school system is just that...
Remember, the OPs teacher has to deal w/ Rambo & the boy w/ the deformed nose.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,316,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post

Thanks. I am so sick of posters blaming the victim. You are right. His idiot of a teacher told them to put it away so he followed the instructions. She must have something really wrong with her or she is lacking in common sense. The first thing I would have done would have been to take the PB cup away from him. I can't believe a certain poster made fun of the boy with the facial disfigurement....nice.

Last edited by KylieEve; 11-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting