Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times

Advertisements

What I have to feed him lunch to??? Geez....

My Son 8th grade get lunch almost every day in school. Sometime If we have some left over he will take it and microwave it at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
My kid loves peanut butter... I can include all kind of veggies crackers, rice cakes they all go with peanut butter. Pasta and tuna salads are easy for lunches too if your kid likes that. Ask your kid what he or she wants and work with it. Good luck

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrhm View Post
We ordered school hot meals for my kid on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On other days, we need to prepare lunch for him. So far I only have one home made food he likes which I can proud of saying. That is chinese style cold noodle. Other than it, I run out of my ideas.

What is your guys' menu?
Can I get the recipe for that Chinese style cold noodle? Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
Our kids take a sandwich with something like peanut butter, jam (Jellow?) or Vegemite. Plus an apple or such and then things like fruit and nut mix or sultanas. Sometimes they go through pahases of wanting a salad roll and then it is usually bread, cheese, ham, lettus etc with tomatoe slices wrapped separately so as not to make it all go soggy.

A drink bottle of water frozen keep the lunch cool and gives them cold water to drink.

We don't normally try to make them interesting or fun. They usually help prepare the lunch and usually they don't want to spend time on frills.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I was a pretty bad mom, because I just told them to make their own lunches. We had a "lunch" cupboard, with chips, cookies, dried fruit snacks, juice boxes, whatever else...one kid liked cold beefaroni from the can.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was a pretty bad mom, because I just told them to make their own lunches. We had a "lunch" cupboard, with chips, cookies, dried fruit snacks, juice boxes, whatever else...one kid liked cold beefaroni from the can.
You're weren't a bad mom..lol. Although the choices probably weren't the healthiest, at least you were teaching them to be self-sufficient

Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Our school lunch is $1.60, and honestly I can't pack a substantial lunch for less than that. My kids switch back and forth between taking in food and buying it.

Also to add we do use soy nut butter when we are in PB free area, and if I don't say anything, my kids don't seem to notice the difference.
Ours is between $2.10 and $2.50 depending on the day and what options there are. There is always a $2.10 lunch, but somedays they do something special and there is a $2.50 option.

What we generally do is just make extra of whatever we are having for dinner and then save it and heat it for him to bring in. One thing he LOVES is my wifes meatballs. When she makes them she just makes a huge batch. Same thing with pasta and mac and cheese. The cost per lunch is real low when you make it in bulk as part of something else.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
One of my girls doesn't like mayonaise on her sandwiches and she prefers butter. They still eat only 1/2 sandwich So I've discovered they both like ranch dressing on their sandwiches.

I discovered pita pocket lunches for them. I chop up lettuce for the week and slice cherry tomatoes and keep that ready for sandwiches or pita salads. We use hand, turkey, grated cheese, roast beef. chopped celery and carrots and stuff the pita after cutting off enough from the top.

They are now wanting something hot in their thermos but I can't get into cooking at 6:30 a.m. I will have to soon.

We also make fruit salad with cottage cheese, yogurt and slice fruit sometimes with nuts. They like carrot sticks, applesauce, cheese sticks, lots of dried as well as fresh fruit and a wide variety of crackers. I never pack chips or cookies but they occasionally have them at home I pack a chef salad with a separate container for dressing. I let my kids pick from the menu 1 day to buy each week so we have to make alot of lunches.

Ask you kids what the other kids bring. I found out one kid brings cold grilled cheese sandwiches and she loves them so I tried that a few times.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What we generally do is just make extra of whatever we are having for dinner and then save it and heat it for him to bring in. One thing he LOVES is my wifes meatballs. When she makes them she just makes a huge batch. Same thing with pasta and mac and cheese. The cost per lunch is real low when you make it in bulk as part of something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I discovered pita pocket lunches for them. I chop up lettuce for the week and slice cherry tomatoes and keep that ready for sandwiches or pita salads. We use hand, turkey, grated cheese, roast beef. chopped celery and carrots and stuff the pita after cutting off enough from the top.

We also make fruit salad with cottage cheese, yogurt and slice fruit sometimes with nuts. They like carrot sticks, applesauce, cheese sticks, lots of dried as well as fresh fruit and a wide variety of crackers. I never pack chips or cookies but they occasionally have them at home I pack a chef salad with a separate container for dressing. I let my kids pick from the menu 1 day to buy each week so we have to make alot of lunches.

Ask you kids what the other kids bring. I found out one kid brings cold grilled cheese sandwiches and she loves them so I tried that a few times.
What great suggestions.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
We shop in bulk, at Costco usually. My kids LOVE the chicken salad from there, and they are happy to eat it often, either in a sandwich or a wrap. I buy all fruit in bulk there, too...grapes, strawberries, blueberries, apples, and raspberries, and I wash them and divide them into snack bags for the week-for the kids and for myself and my husband to grab.

We also buy goldfish or wheat thins in bulk and I put those in snack bags as well. I make cucumber or ranch dip and put it in little containers for them to eat with their veggies.

Buying juice boxes in bulk helps, too! If I make a big pot of soup or chili, they take that in their thermos.

It's a lot of time to do it all, but we save a lot by buying in bulk, and very little food goes to waste.

We buy bread and tortillas in bulk as well, and freeze it so it doesn't go bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting