Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times

Advertisements

I was surprised...we had trick or treaters but not as many as I expected. Our area is notorious for having bad weather on Halloween night. Yesterday was perfectly lovely. When my kids were younger we were busy all night. I only went through one big bag of candy (even had some left and I usually give out more than one piece per child)...I did notice that quite of few of my neighbors had their lights out. Even though we live in a neighborhood that has lots of kids, my street doesn't have as many as it used to...older couples, younger couples or people without kids, or perhaps people who are struggling financially and didn't feel like purchasing candy.... It does seem to be a trend over the last couple of years though. Pretty quiet around here - DD is gone and DS was at work...boy have times changed. I love seeing the kids in their costumes though so I had fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
We had over 100 kids. Hubby stayed home to give out the candy, while I went out with mom and grandchildren. This was the first year that my grandson actually walked and said trick or treat (he's autistic and only just became verbal last year). Both grandchildren had lots of fun. They walked with several neighbors. My grandson did go home early though. He tends to tire out and lose interest. Only a few teens were not in costume. Most were in elaborate getups.

Our neighborhood is a great one for trick or treating. Houses are decorated, lots of the teens stay home and dress up to scare the little ones. There were light up skeleton costumes this year and we had one teen who stayed so quiet and still and then would turn on his red eyes and skeleton light.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I was surprised...we had trick or treaters but not as many as I expected. Our area is notorious for having bad weather on Halloween night. Yesterday was perfectly lovely. When my kids were younger we were busy all night. I only went through one big bag of candy (even had some left and I usually give out more than one piece per child)...I did notice that quite of few of my neighbors had their lights out. Even though we live in a neighborhood that has lots of kids, my street doesn't have as many as it used to...older couples, younger couples or people without kids, or perhaps people who are struggling financially and didn't feel like purchasing candy.... It does seem to be a trend over the last couple of years though. Pretty quiet around here - DD is gone and DS was at work...boy have times changed. I love seeing the kids in their costumes though so I had fun.
We had maybe a dozen kids, I think fewer than last year, when, I believe the weather was worse. I thought we'd start seeing kids about 5 PM; we had no one until about 6:30. We kept the light on until 8:30. We had plenty of houses all decorated up and I assume the usual number of homes participating. Oh, well, the kids have grown up, and although when a house is sold it's usually to another family, there just aren't the kids there used to be.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Had a lot of kids (and some grown adults) show up for candy- Went through 1335 pieces of candy, 235 of which was fun sized chocolates

Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
We had a lot of kids, but most came early, before it was even dark. A lot of them were heading out later to "cluster-development" neighborhoods where the homes are closer together; the homes in my neighborhood are on rather large lots. I also know a lot of families that took their kids to church/school/etc. halloween parties instead of going door-to-door, it's easier for the parents without a lot of walking in the cold weather. That's not for us though, we prefer good old-fashioned trick-or-treating.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times
Snow and cold (it never got above 30 degrees) kept the trick-or-treaters away in my neck of the woods.

We usually only get the kids from our neighborhood, which is off the beaten track. This year we got about 3 trick-or-treaters, all of them shivering.

My kids only lasted an hour. Then they wanted to come home for hot cocoa. On the bright side, I don't have to fret about them eating candy for weeks, because they only got a modest amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting