Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:01 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times

Advertisements

This is sooo sad. I don't know if she was vaccinated or not, but since it was so early in the Flu season I can imagine it may not have been something she got yet. Also, 6 month old babies are totally viable but a virus is another thing.

"No one noticed that Lilly Allen did not attend as scheduled, the charity concert she had mounted her friend Elton JohnElton John at the weekend. It is normal for a pregnant woman in the sixth month of pregnancy care and prefer to avoid surprises, more so when it was known that the young singer had caught a virus last week and in her condition, could not take medication.

Elton John's apologized to the public to these same arguments, but the truth was that same Saturday night, Allen was on his way to hospital, with severe pains in the abdomen, which eventually end her pregnancy advance

Lily Allen Struck Down With Flu During Paris Trip
Lily Allen Struck Down With Flu During Paris Trip

Tue, 05 October 2010 23:18:48 ET
Lily Allen: Six months pregnant, took a virus that her pregnancy loses baby

Nov 02, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
While this is sad, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the flu caused the miscarriage. Many pregnant women make it through through the flu and other illness all of the time without miscarrying. Woman can and do miscarry late in pregnancy with no prior problems and no apparent reason. It's very sad but it happens.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
She had miscarried her first pregnancy and had complications earlier on in her recent pregnancy. During her entire second trimester she was experiencing complications, and then she got a virus and miscarried, for the second time.

However, if she hadn't caught a virus, she might have made it through just fine, since many pregnant women have complications and make it through just fine. In her case, the virus directly contributed to the miscarriage. It's not a matter of posters here jumping to conclusions. It's a matter of record. It might or might not have been a flu virus, and that flu virus might or might not have been preventable with a vaccine. But the fact of record is, the virus -did- contribute to the miscarriage.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM

613 posts, read 991,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

"No one noticed that Lilly Allen did not attend as scheduled, the charity concert she had mounted her friend Elton JohnElton John at the weekend. It is normal for a pregnant woman in the sixth month of pregnancy care and prefer to avoid surprises, more so when it was known that the young singer had caught a virus last week and in her condition, could not take medication.

Elton John's apologized to the public to these same arguments, but the truth was that same Saturday night, Allen was on his way to hospital, with severe pains in the abdomen, which eventually end her pregnancy advance
LOL to the bold!

This was the headline:

Someone's in need of proofreading service, I think!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
LOL to the bold!

This was the headline:

Someone's in need of proofreading service, I think!
I agree. Those articles were a mess. I had to look up other ones just to figure out what they were even talking about.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
She had miscarried her first pregnancy and had complications earlier on in her recent pregnancy. During her entire second trimester she was experiencing complications, and then she got a virus and miscarried, for the second time.

However, if she hadn't caught a virus, she might have made it through just fine, since many pregnant women have complications and make it through just fine. In her case, the virus directly contributed to the miscarriage. It's not a matter of posters here jumping to conclusions. It's a matter of record. It might or might not have been a flu virus, and that flu virus might or might not have been preventable with a vaccine. But the fact of record is, the virus -did- contribute to the miscarriage.
I'm sorry but where are you reading that it is a matter of record that her case of the flu caused the miscarriage?

The flu has never been known to be the cause of miscarriages. Can a Cold or Flu Cause a Miscarriage?

ETA: What about all of these ladies who miscarried after receiving a flu shot. They believe the vaccine caused them to miscarry but I'm guessing that most people would say that it's just a coincidence. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't, no one knows for sure. I just wanted to point out another side to this whole flu vaccines for pregnant women issue.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/188385

Last edited by Dorthy; 11-03-2010 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I'm not reading that the flu caused the miscarriage anywhere.

Where are you reading that I claimed that the flu caused a miscarriage?
Here: You didn't say "caused" but you did say contribute which is speculative.
Quote:
In her case, the virus directly contributed to the miscarriage.
In the post just prior I said: "I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the flu caused the miscarriage" and then you posted this:

Quote:
It's not a matter of posters here jumping to conclusions. It's a matter of record.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Respond to what I wrote, rather than to what you want to think I said. I wrote that IT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE FLU VIRUS..
and I wrote the virus (whatever kind of virus it was) DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTED TO the miscarriage.

Nowhere did I say, or imply, or claim, that she had the flu, and that it was the flu that caused the miscarriage. I usually word things specifically for a reason. If you wish to respond to my posts, I'd really appreciate it if you took the time to read them.
I did respond to what you wrote and I did read your post. The news is reporting that she had the flu. You are claiming that the virus that she had (which you are saying may or may not have been the flu) contributed to the miscarriage. We don't know whether or not her illness (flu or not) contributed to her miscarriage as it is speculative.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm sorry but where are you reading that it is a matter of record that her case of the flu caused the miscarriage?

The flu has never been known to be the cause of miscarriages.

Well she had a virus (the flu) on October 5th and 4 weeks later her baby was in heaven. I suppose she could have caught another virus at the same time but they don't elaborate. I don't know if an autopsy is planned. Flu does cause pre-term labor and she was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains (Labor).
"Recently, Allen was rushed to hospital after complaining of stomach pains, UK newspaper The Sun reports. It was also reported doctors then tried to save the baby but failed their attempts."

What Pregnant Women Should Know About Flu
Pregnancy and Flu

Flu is more likely to cause severe illness in pregnant women than in women who are not pregnant. Pregnant woman with flu also have a greater chance for serious problems for their unborn baby, including premature labor and delivery.

Protect Your Unborn Child

If you are pregnant, you should get vaccinated against flu as soon as possible. The flu shot given during pregnancy has been shown to protect both the mother and her baby (up to 6 months old) from flu. Note that pregnant women should not receive the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)
  • Severe illness in the mother can be stressful to the fetus.
  • Changes to a pregnant woman’s immune system can make her more sensitive to the flu and result in serious complications if she is infected with flu.
  • A diagnosis of infection in the fetus or infant can be challenging. The effects of the flu on a fetus are also difficult to predict."
"

Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well she had a virus (the flu) on October 5th and 4 weeks later her baby was in heaven. I suppose she could have caught another virus at the same time but they don't elaborate. I don't know if an autopsy is planned. Flu does cause pre-term labor and she was rushed to the hospital with stomach pains (Labor).
"Recently, Allen was rushed to hospital after complaining of stomach pains, UK newspaper The Sun reports. It was also reported doctors then tried to save the baby but failed their attempts."

What Pregnant Women Should Know About Flu
Pregnancy and Flu

Flu is more likely to cause severe illness in pregnant women than in women who are not pregnant. Pregnant woman with flu also have a greater chance for serious problems for their unborn baby, including premature labor and delivery.

Protect Your Unborn Child

If you are pregnant, you should get vaccinated against flu as soon as possible. The flu shot given during pregnancy has been shown to protect both the mother and her baby (up to 6 months old) from flu. Note that pregnant women should not receive the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)
  • Severe illness in the mother can be stressful to the fetus.
  • Changes to a pregnant woman’s immune system can make her more sensitive to the flu and result in serious complications if she is infected with flu.
  • A diagnosis of infection in the fetus or infant can be challenging. The effects of the flu on a fetus are also difficult to predict."
"
There is a big difference between pre-term labor and miscarriage.

ETA: wait, she had the flu a full month prior to miscarrying? I'm not seeing the correlation at all.

It's very sad but even women with otherwise healthy pregnancies can and sometimes do miscarry late in pregnancy. I personally have 2 friends who miscarried mid and late into their pregnancies with no prior warning signs. I also worked in a prenatal clinic and witnessed several healthy women miscarry late in their pregnancies.

Last edited by Dorthy; 11-03-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting