U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,217 times
Unhappy how do I find a playdate?

My husband and I recently moved from CA to the upper Keys in Florida with our three year old daughter. I'm desperately seeking a playdate and some other stay at home moms. I've gone to storytime at the library, the local parks, riding our bikes in the neighborhood, and been online. Could anyone out there please make some suggestions as to how I may find some other like minded moms???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,992,621 times
You can find playdates through MOPS, Mommy and me, or Craig's List. If you want to start your own, you can try posting an ad on Craig's List.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM

6,586 posts, read 15,595,798 times
Isn't there a website called "meet up" or something like that where you can hook up with others?

I have to say though when I was a stay at home mom when my son was 0-2 I had trouble finding anyone to hang out with except a nanny in the neighborhood who knew some English. I tried joining a group like MOPS and it was too difficult to break into the pre-existing cliques. I ended up going to work and putting my son into daycare which he enjoyed and there I met other kids and moms.

It seems though nowadays there are message boards for communities that you can use to meet up with other SAHMs. Did you see if there was one for your community? I met one mom/kid through America Online (13 years ago). We hung out for many years and still stay in touch although she moved away.

Good luck to you. Once preschool and real school starts you can find plenty of friends.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,877,884 times
Sometimes local park districts have mom groups that meet at the community center. You should call the park district.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 AM

5,254 posts, read 11,127,793 times
Area churches do this too.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM

267 posts, read 1,339,832 times
Hi Kbrize,
I've been in the same boat your in since we moved out of state. Have you checked out the cafemom website? A friend back home told me about it and it looks like a great way to meet other moms. Good luck to both of us

Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM

175 posts, read 558,579 times
HI - Try joining a home-schooling group - you will meet loads of different types of people at the park days they organize and the trips that are laid on!! Ususally the kids are very nice and well-behaved - that's my experience anyway!!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 PM

56 posts, read 147,762 times
Default Playdates

This may be very late. But just recently I came across this website. PlaydatePal - Kids Connect With Kids which seems to be promising for parents and kids to get them connected with more people. May be give a try and see.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 PM

6,430 posts, read 8,180,075 times
We are in the same boat! It is hard moving to a new state. I still haven't found some ways in PA; but where I moved from, there were many groups.

Newcomers Club
Mothers and More
Online websites

At the park if there is a stay at home mom, ask them. I have realized I need to be a little braver and introduce myself to people and set up playdates.....

Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 5,640,716 times
our local mommy and me (and a few daddys and me)gymnastics group noticed the kids all had such a great time together at the gym, it just lead to play dates and now they have a great playdate group that meets up regularly and does both at home/park play dates and also different activities in the areas they all get together and go as a group....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting