Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Sorry I just saw your thread. Depending on your state law, your parents most likely can't legally kick you out until you have graduated from high school. You should talk to your guidance counselor to find out. The military is an option, but only after you've received your high school diploma. The military does not take people with GEDs unless they have a certain amount of college credits. If you MUST move out before you finish high school, do you have any friends you can live with? I've taken in two teenagers who were kicked out of their houses before they finished high school. See if your friends's parents might be willing to let you stay with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
There's no law in any state that forces a parent to keep a child after 16. The child can run away and declare emancipation, and a parent can demand they leave at 16.
You have no idea what you're talking about. That 'might' be the law in your state, but many other states require parents to keep their children until 18. And there are states (my state is one of them) that requires parents to keep their children until they graduate from high school. Do your homework before you go making blanket statements about all state laws. Clearly, you have no clue.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
InstaReturn, come back and keep us posted on your situation so we can help you brainstorm ideas on how to handle things. We really do care

Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
InstaReturn, come back and keep us posted on your situation so we can help you brainstorm ideas on how to handle things. We really do care
^^^ Yes, please do. As LM said, we really do care!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I'm sorry your parents are so cruel. I don't understand how you could ever charge your own kids rent.
Huh? With the actual cruelty that goes on between parents and children every day (rape, physical/verbal/emotional abuse, neglect) you think charging a leagl adult rent (usually a much-reduced rate from "market value") is "cruelty"? I think it is called "teaching responsibility" and making sure the kid isn't still living at home in the basement playing computer games when he/she is 30, which is happening quite a bit these days.

My parents made me get a job when I turned 16 (actually slightly before), and while I didn't have to pay rent or even pay for college, it instilled a sense of work responsibility in me early on, kept me from goofing off all of those hours I was working, helped me meet people on my own (i.e. not through my parents or school) and also showed future employers that I had been responsibile enough to start working the minute I was legally able. 18-years-olds ARE legal adults and I think paying rent for living at home is not an unreasonable (let alone "cruel") thing to expect of them--though I do hope it is a reasonable and below-market-value rate. Food and electricity aren't free!

You want "cruel", talk to some of those parents who kick their kids out of the house with no notice nor posessions, for coming out as gay or for dating someone of another race (for example).

Quote:
The OP did not indicate that s/he had been particularly ungrateful, unwilling to help, etc. The above does not seem to be the situation with him/her.
Would you actually expect the OP to say so if this were true (or in some cases, even to recognize it)? I am not accusing OP of being this way, but if s/he WERE, then s/he would likely be the type who wouldn't even realize what "ungrateful/unwilling" really means. Witness the previous poster who (facetiously, I hope) cites her child as thinking that hanging up a coat equates to "doing everything around the house". It may be that OP just needs a reality check. But I don't know the situation.

In any case, at least OP has a year's notice to get a job and save money for an eventual move OR to be able to pay rent for a little while if still living at home. If this serves as incentive for OP to plan ahead, get a job, and prepare for the future, it's ultimately a good thing. Certainly compared to the potential alternative of still living at home rent/responsibility-free at the age of 35.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Huh? With the actual cruelty that goes on between parents and children every day (rape, physical/verbal/emotional abuse, neglect) you think charging a leagl adult rent (usually a much-reduced rate from "market value") is "cruelty"? I think it is called "teaching responsibility" and making sure the kid isn't still living at home in the basement playing computer games when he/she is 30, which is happening quite a bit these days.

My parents made me get a job when I turned 16 (actually slightly before), and while I didn't have to pay rent or even pay for college, it instilled a sense of work responsibility in me early on, kept me from goofing off all of those hours I was working, helped me meet people on my own (i.e. not through my parents or school) and also showed future employers that I had been responsibile enough to start working the minute I was legally able. 18-years-olds ARE legal adults and I think paying rent for living at home is not an unreasonable (let alone "cruel") thing to expect of them--though I do hope it is a reasonable and below-market-value rate. Food and electricity aren't free!

You want "cruel", talk to some of those parents who kick their kids out of the house with no notice nor posessions, for coming out as gay or for dating someone of another race (for example).

Would you actually expect the OP to say so if this were true (or in some cases, even to recognize it)? I am not accusing OP of being this way, but if s/he WERE, then s/he would likely be the type who wouldn't even realize what "ungrateful/unwilling" really means. Witness the previous poster who (facetiously, I hope) cites her child as thinking that hanging up a coat equates to "doing everything around the house". It may be that OP just needs a reality check. But I don't know the situation.

In any case, at least OP has a year's notice to get a job and save money for an eventual move OR to be able to pay rent for a little while if still living at home. If this serves as incentive for OP to plan ahead, get a job, and prepare for the future, it's ultimately a good thing. Certainly compared to the potential alternative of still living at home rent/responsibility-free at the age of 35.

A young person still going to high school is still just a kid, even if they are 18.

No competant, caring parent with a lick of sense in their heads would throw an 18 year old out of their house before graduation (unless of course the kid was dangerous or had other "issues" that our OP does not seem to have at all).

Old 11-10-2010, 01:11 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
A young person still going to high school is still just a kid, even if they are 18.

No competant, caring parent with a lick of sense in their heads would throw an 18 year old out of their house before graduation (unless of course the kid was dangerous or had other "issues" that our OP does not seem to have at all).
Agreed! Those bolded words say it all

Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
I was addressing the issue of paying rent, NOT throwing them out while still in HS. Someone claimed it was "cruel" to ask for rent, I disagree. That was the context of my post, not whether making someone still in high school homeless is cruel (which I would agree with, unless the kid is just a deadbeat who refuses to try to find a job, etc).

Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I was addressing the issue of paying rent, NOT throwing them out while still in HS. Someone claimed it was "cruel" to ask for rent, I disagree. That was the context of my post, not whether making someone still in high school homeless is cruel (which I would agree with, unless the kid is just a deadbeat who refuses to try to find a job, etc).
Asking a kid in high school to pay rent is just wrong. At that age parents should still be taking care of them, not the other way around.

If I had to ask my kid for help with the rent (out of necessity) while he was that age I would consider myself a huge failure as a parent.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think 18 is a bit young for a child to be expected to pay rent, and this thread isn't really even about that. It seems like the dad hasn't offered that as an option. He wants the kid out.

The most likely scenario is that the kid can get a job paying $8-10/hr. $8/hr is ~ $1300/mo. I don't know where the OP lives, but out my way, rent, even on a non-luxury 1BR apt would take up at least half of that, and that is before tax income. $10/hr is about $1600/mo, a little better, but again, pre-tax. Utilities (have to have heat and lights, water is usually provided), and food would probably take up the rest of his/her income. There would be precious little left for clothing, a car payment, or savings.

Paying rent of say $100/mo and coming up with some sort of "fair share" with food would allow the OP to save a little money for college, whatever.

He can always get a job waiting tables at night and something during the day and make plenty . If you hustle waiting tables even at a family place you can make between 400-700 a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting