Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry, I did not plan on being divorced at age 40, and having 4 children to support by myself. I did not plan on getting fired from my job, and have to go back to school, and work 2 jobs to support myself and my kids. So, if I was a bad parent...guess what...not my plan! I did the best that I could. My kids had a rough time during high school, we went from a large home where everyone had their own room, to a two bedroom apartment, and I was one paycheck away from the homeless shelter. So, sorry, if my having to work 60-70 hours a week meant that I did not go to parent teacher conferences, and I did not have time to always check my kids homework. Not my plan...and yes, we were on "welfare" I needed the EBT card for food, we did not buy lobster and steak. We ate eggs and mac and cheese. You can hardly even afford fruit or vegetables on EBT benefits.

So, please, take your attitude some place else. Not everyone lives a wonderful, entitled lifestyle, and not everyone's life goes according to the "plan". Parents do the best that they can, and maybe, their life fell apart, and they just don't have the energy or strength to be a great parent, when they are just trying to have a place to live and food on the table.
If that was directed at me then I am sorry. Just for clarification. I was a single parent of two myself. No, I was not on welfare. Yes, I lived very frugally during those years.
Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying about welfare. I am not anti-welfare. I am against being on welfare and not trying to get off. I am against people thinking that they can't do better. I think that in situations like yours it is warranted. Do you plan on having more children? That is my complaint. If you can't afford what you have then stop having children. Doesn't sound like you are planning on more. Sounds like you are trying to get your life together. Good for you.

As far as conferences and signing your children's homework goes let me say this...It matters. It matters that you care. It matters that you show your children that an education is the most important thing in the world. It matters that their education is important to you and to them. Take the time. Make the time. An education is what will keep your children off welfare. It is what will give them a future. I know you are busy. I know you are tired. Make the time because they matter to you. Read with them. Love them. The reward will come back to you ten fold.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I have a kid next door as I type that for the past 30 minutes straight is kicking a soccer ball against a wooden fence!!! I'm inside and I can hear the BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM from the ball hitting the fence.

Not only is it slowly breaking the fence that divides my property and his but the noise annoyance is really getting to ALL Neighbors..

GUESS WHAT PEOPLE..... THE FATHER IS OUTSIDE FIXING HIS PORCH WATCHING HIS SON KICKS THE BALL, THE MOTHER CLULESS DOING HER ROUTINES probably yelling at someone.

Its parents like these that make you wonder why we got to 600 billion people!!

I would never ever let my son do that in a quiet family neighborhood...AT LEAST SAY SOMETHING!!!!!!

Those types of Parents are truely disgusting.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I have a kid next door as I type that for the past 30 minutes straight is kicking a soccer ball against a wooden fence!!! I'm inside and I can hear the BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM from the ball hitting the fence.

Not only is it slowly breaking the fence that divides my property and his but the noise annoyance is really getting to ALL Neighbors..

GUESS WHAT PEOPLE..... THE FATHER IS OUTSIDE FIXING HIS PORCH WATCHING HIS SON KICKS THE BALL, THE MOTHER CLULESS DOING HER ROUTINES probably yelling at someone.

I would never ever let my son do that in a quiet family neighborhood...AT LEAST SAY SOMETHING!!!!!!

Is it their fence or your fence?

While it may be annoying, if it is their fence and the dad does not mind, then there is not much you can do. If, however, it is your fence, you can certainly say something because they will be liable for the repairs if their son breaks it down.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Is it their fence or your fence?

While it may be annoying, if it is their fence and the dad does not mind, then there is not much you can do. If, however, it is your fence, you can certainly say something because they will be liable for the repairs if their son breaks it down.
Its theirs BUT... thats not the point...If my son was doing that to my fence I would say something because #1. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new fence. #2. I would want to keep the peace with neighbors around me.

Thats what I'll never understand...parents are selfish and just think of themselves and nobody around them.

These are the same people who left a basketball net in the street for months. I finally moved it onto their driveway and they took it back near the house.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 PM

556 posts, read 798,256 times
Quote:

OMG really? Complaining that a kid is kicking a ball and making noise?! Oh please. And it's a "quiet family neighborhood"? That's a contradiction all it's own. If you couldn't complain little Jonny is kicking a ball too loudly then you'd complain that little Jonny watches too much tv and is fat. You have problems....and it sure ain't little Jonny!

Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
OMG really? Complaining that a kid is kicking a ball and making noise?! Oh please. And it's a "quiet family neighborhood"? That's a contradiction all it's own. If you couldn't complain little Jonny is kicking a ball too loudly then you'd complain that little Jonny watches too much tv and is fat. You have problems....and it sure ain't little Jonny!
Wake up...There's 7 Billion People here, Its not just you living on this planet... Let me guess, you'll stop in the middle of an isle without acknowledging someone is behind you!
Go inside the house... live in the city if you want to make noise... buy a home on a farm where the neighbor is miles away .. if not, respect your surroundings.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Its theirs BUT... thats not the point...If my son was doing that to my fence I would say something because #1. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new fence. #2. I would want to keep the peace with neighbors around me.

Thats what I'll never understand...parents are selfish and just think of themselves and nobody around them.

These are the same people who left a basketball net in the street for months. I finally moved it onto their driveway and they took it back near the house.
The thing is that *you* would not have to spend money on the fence, they would.

Aside from that a kid kicking a soccer ball is probably practicing. If it is a family neighborhood, this kind of noise is to be expected unless it is late at night or very early in the morning.

If everyone in the neighborhood is annoyed, perhaps you should get together and talk to his parents. If it is just you, I would say *get over it.*

I am not sure what the basketball net in the street has to do with anything. Were the kids playing ball with it?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The thing is that *you* would not have to spend money on the fence, they would.

Aside from that a kid kicking a soccer ball is probably practicing. If it is a family neighborhood, this kind of noise is to be expected unless it is late at night or very early in the morning.

If everyone in the neighborhood is annoyed, perhaps you should get together and talk to his parents. If it is just you, I would say *get over it.*

I am not sure what the basketball net in the street has to do with anything. Were the kids playing ball with it?
I'm just mentioning 1 parent right now, please dont entice me to start mentioning all the other idiotic parents out there... I wont even touch the subject of the ones leaving their kids in a car in the summer while they shop....or bringing their hissy fit kids to a public store and acting all stressed...

For once I'd like to inject a little common sense into these people that having a kid is not like buying a car!

For once I'd like to smack these people who think showing their kids they are huffing and puffing and all stressed out is a good thing..

KIDS USE PARENT(S) AS A GUIDE, AS A MENTOR, AS A ROLE MODEL, AS SOMEONE TO BE COPIED!!!

Why am I wasting my breath....just too many morons out there.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I'm just mentioning 1 parent right now, please dont entice me to start mentioning all the other idiotic parents out there... I wont even touch the subject of the ones leaving their kids in a car in the summer while they shop....or bringing their hissy fit kids to a public store and acting all stressed...

For once I'd like to inject a little common sense into these people that having a kid is not like buying a car!

For once I'd like to smack these people who think showing their kids they are huffing and puffing and all stressed out is a good thing..

KIDS USE PARENT(S) AS A GUIDE, AS A MENTOR, AS A ROLE MODEL, AS SOMEONE TO BE COPIED!!!

Why am I wasting my breath....just too many morons out there.
Idiocy is not limited to parents or parenting. There are plenty of non-parents who are morons as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
If the neighbor kid's father was to attempt to correct him with a raised eyebrow or an octave in voice, he'd get thrown into jail for abuse.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating. But so much of what is considered "abuse" today isn't so far-fetched. Yes, way too many parents are "clueless" and ignore bad behaviors. But a lot of others frankly don't know what to do. I've watched modern day parents with children behaving like total brats, then bend down and speak soooo softly, as though they're afraid to look disapproving. They actually looked afraid!

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting