U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,857,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Whatever, Dorothy. It's easy for you to cry the sky is falling when you have no direct experience with your own child in this situation.

I'm well aware of the risks in more ways than you could possibly know. I have my own opinion on why those risks exist. I'm surprised researchers haven't figured out that it's a dosage issue.

As with all medical treatment, the benefits and risks need to be weighed. Just because there are risks is no reason to not have medical treatment.

A child can die due to complications of anesthesia having an appendectomy, but you wouldn't chose to not have the appendectomy.

Teens aren't often receptive to therapy without medication. Not receiving treatment can actually put their lives at risk too.

I'm know the OP is aware of the risks you warn her about. I'm not sure why you continue to rant about them. Consider her duly informed.

Each child's situation is different. It's up to parents to make the decision for their own child.

The OP wants to hear from parents who experienced this first hand themselves with their own children.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm ranting when all that I was doing was bringing up a point that I feel is relevant and important to the topic at hand and one that I have personal experience with. I have no idea what the op knows and doesn't know and this is a factor that I would want to know about if my teen was depressed and I was considering medication. I am not anti-medication. It's one of many factors to take into consideration. I think I already said that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM

11,218 posts, read 15,160,053 times
Dorthy, the OP didn't ask what studies show. The OP hasn't requested links to news articles, or research papers. The OP has not posted to get information from the FDA. If the OP wanted info from the FDA, the OP would have checked with the FDA. The OP is here on the Parenting forum, asking for people who have first-hand experience dealing with children with depression, what their PERSONAL experiences have been.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 AM

4,267 posts, read 2,857,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Dorthy, the OP didn't ask what studies show. The OP hasn't requested links to news articles, or research papers. The OP has not posted to get information from the FDA. If the OP wanted info from the FDA, the OP would have checked with the FDA. The OP is here on the Parenting forum, asking for people who have first-hand experience dealing with children with depression, what their PERSONAL experiences have been.
I did post about my personal experience. My friend killed himself a couple of months after getting on anti-depressants. It still rattles me to this day to think about it and I contributed to this thread based on my personal experience with anti-depressants and teenagers.

To the op, I'm sorry if you feel that anythign I've contributed was out of line. That was never my intention at all. Like I said before, I'm not anti-meds. It's only one of many factors to consider.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 AM

7,290 posts, read 4,697,089 times
I don't know why the OP is not left to speak for herself. She does not need spokespersons. Dorthy, you are very patient, given the attacks. This is an important piece of info to consider, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM

7,331 posts, read 7,521,825 times
Why all the snark this Monday morning? Both Dorthy and AnonChick offered good info to the OP.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM

2,172 posts, read 3,918,098 times
My son was on an antidepressant (Prozac) for several weeks a couple of years ago. It was started because he was floundering in high school, failing his classes and on the computer way, way too much. He has a history of ADHD and his pediatrician referred him to a psychiatrist who prescribed the Prozac. His behavior worsened and became more and more oppositional and dramatic with threats of suicide. We stopped the Prozac....

I don't know if there was any correlation or if it was just that the Prozac was initiated at a time when his behavior was on a downward slide, but it frightened us. We ended up getting him into an adolescent group therapy and changed schools to a setting where he got more attention. Things improved without medication.

I would never say that I would never try antidepressants again if the symptoms warranted, but at that time, I don't think we really were treating depression...

Hope something there helps.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,391,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why all the snark this Monday morning?
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

I am a teen. I am on antidepressant mainly for anxiety, but also because my life is depressing (meet my family). Nothing bad has happened to me. No side effects or suicidal thoughts or anything. It really depends on the person and the med - because everyone is different.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM

43,756 posts, read 53,328,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

I am a teen. I am on antidepressant mainly for anxiety, but also because my life is depressing (meet my family). Nothing bad has happened to me. No side effects or suicidal thoughts or anything. It really depends on the person and the med - because everyone is different.
Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience

Can you tell us if you think the medication is helping you deal with your anxiety?

EVERY person is different and you are right, side effects depend on the individual

Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,391,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Can you tell us if you think the medication is helping you deal with your anxiety?
It's definitely not a cure-all. All it really does is take the "edge" off. The rest is accomplished through therapy. But yeah, overall it's helping.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 PM

43,756 posts, read 53,328,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
It's definitely not a cure-all. All it really does is take the "edge" off. The rest is accomplished through therapy. But yeah, overall it's helping.
Well, good luck with conquering your anxiety G, I know it's no fun to live with! Hopefully you are also trying things like plenty of regular exercise and avoiding caffiene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting