Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Let's see..when I went to college back in the stone age, the field of study I wanted to head toward was Mass Communications. I wasn't sure what I'd do with it, exactly, but I thought becoming a radio announcer was a swell idea at the time. And, at the time, I had some choices:

University of New Haven - which was only a 15 minute drive from my home but I would be -required- to stay in the dorms (and pay to do so) for the first year. (Their policies might have changed since then but this was how it was).

Graham Junior College, Boston

Emerson College, Boston.

I was accepted by all three. I weighed my options carefully - visited Graham and Emerson on the same day. Graham only had one dorm, it was a tiny little school, and it seemed pretty decrepit. Emerson was amazing, but lacked a campus like UNH has. On the other hand, if we were paying to live in a dorm no matter where I went, I might as well live out of state. And so that's what I did. Not just "because I felt like it" but because after weighing all the options and comparing the two schools, Emerson was the best deal of the bunch.

Graham went out of business the same year they accepted my entrance app. I worked while I attended Emerson, for 3.5 out of the 4 years, lived in Boston full time after my second year, and stayed there for another 3 years after I graduated. I never would have had the chance to fall in love with that city, if I stayed in the county I grew up in. I wouldn't have had the chance to learn how to *be* independent, had I stayed close enough to home that mom could do my laundry every week.

Living away from home after high school was the absolute best choice I could have made, and it was a solid investment my parents made - in my future. And of course, I'm the one who had to pay back the loans. Which I did. At the grand total of $87.02/month for 20 years. By the way, the bills for those loans don't normally come immediately after graduation. I believe they give you a year to accumulate funds so you can actually afford to pay them back. Also, if they're state guaranteed loans, you can defer, and they just tack a year's worth of interest onto the end of the loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Let's see..when I went to college back in the stone age, the field of study I wanted to head toward was Mass Communications. I wasn't sure what I'd do with it, exactly, but I thought becoming a radio announcer was a swell idea at the time. And, at the time, I had some choices:

University of New Haven - which was only a 15 minute drive from my home but I would be -required- to stay in the dorms (and pay to do so) for the first year. (Their policies might have changed since then but this was how it was).

Graham Junior College, Boston

Emerson College, Boston.

I was accepted by all three. I weighed my options carefully - visited Graham and Emerson on the same day. Graham only had one dorm, it was a tiny little school, and it seemed pretty decrepit. Emerson was amazing, but lacked a campus like UNH has. On the other hand, if we were paying to live in a dorm no matter where I went, I might as well live out of state. And so that's what I did. Not just "because I felt like it" but because after weighing all the options and comparing the two schools, Emerson was the best deal of the bunch.

Graham went out of business the same year they accepted my entrance app. I worked while I attended Emerson, for 3.5 out of the 4 years, lived in Boston full time after my second year, and stayed there for another 3 years after I graduated. I never would have had the chance to fall in love with that city, if I stayed in the county I grew up in. I wouldn't have had the chance to learn how to *be* independent, had I stayed close enough to home that mom could do my laundry every week.

Living away from home after high school was the absolute best choice I could have made, and it was a solid investment my parents made - in my future. And of course, I'm the one who had to pay back the loans. Which I did. At the grand total of $87.02/month for 20 years. By the way, the bills for those loans don't normally come immediately after graduation. I believe they give you a year to accumulate funds so you can actually afford to pay them back. Also, if they're state guaranteed loans, you can defer, and they just tack a year's worth of interest onto the end of the loan.
I have two young adults doing this right now, you have 6 months from the date of graduation after which time you must begin paying them back. They can be deferred only a couple of times for monetary reasons, they can be deferred if you go back to school and if you go into the military, (if I am not mistaken, about the deferred part), I know for sure about the 6 months before payback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting