Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM

144 posts, read 306,894 times

Advertisements

Have you folks heard of the method to determine wheter you have a boy or girl?

Where they say the sperm that determines a male normally swims faster and can get to the egg first but it does not live as long, so to have a boy, you must have sex the day of peak ovulation so the male determining sperm will speed to the egg and fertilize it.

Sperm that determins a female swims slower but lives longer so If you have sex before peak ovulation the female determining sperm live longer while waiting for the egg.

Does that sound fishy or does anyone beleive it works like that?

I have a guy at work that swears by it. He has two boys and swears he and his wife had sex right a peak ovulation both times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:57 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
I have an friend who jokingly agreed to have another child with her husband if he could guarantee they'd have a girl since they already had 2 boys who were both in school and very challenging boys at that.

Well, dear old husband found the book that supports exactly what your post asks about and they studied it together, did some charting for a few months then did what it said to get a girl baby and they did indeed. She swears by it now too. Beautiful little girl too!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I surely wouldn't bank on this method at all.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Its gonna get deleted but anyway,

Three pregnant ladies were discussing this very question.
The first says "I'm going to have a girl because when we did it, I was very submissive"
The next lady says "I was very very assertive when we did it so I am going to have a boy"
The third lady bursts in to tears and through the sobs manages to mumble "I'm gonna have a puppy"

Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Sperm banks can do gender selection (although it's not a 100% guarantee). The sperm gets centrifuged, and when it settles again the Y sperm swim upwards faster than X due to being lighter. I think it's the same idea although I don't know how well it would work the normal way!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
If that really worked then everyone would be able have the gender they wanted. The only way that will actually work is to do a very expensive IVF procedure. I'm not sure of the name of it.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 AM

144 posts, read 306,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
its gonna get deleted but anyway,

three pregnant ladies were discussing this very question.
The first says "i'm going to have a girl because when we did it, i was very submissive"
the next lady says "i was very very assertive when we did it so i am going to have a boy"
the third lady bursts in to tears and through the sobs manages to mumble "i'm gonna have a puppy"
lol!!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I have an friend who jokingly agreed to have another child with her husband if he could guarantee they'd have a girl since they already had 2 boys who were both in school and very challenging boys at that.

Well, dear old husband found the book that supports exactly what your post asks about and they studied it together, did some charting for a few months then did what it said to get a girl baby and they did indeed. She swears by it now too. Beautiful little girl too!

coincidence

Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
That's called the Shettles method, and it's somewhat effective. It's harder to hit your goal of getting a girl than a boy, though, because you need to time sex far enough away from ovulation so the Y (male) sperm die, but the X (female) sperm don't. If the woman is not very sure of her ovulatory signs, or if something happens to delay ovulation by a few days, then the method won't work. And of course either way, you need to decide how devastated you'd be if you got your second choice and proceed from there, because while you may stack the odds in your favor, there are no sure bets outside of IVF.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
I'm familiar with the Shettles method, but I'm not sure I believe it. I have 2 children, 1 boy and 1 girl. My first baby, my son, was unplanned so I have no clue when he was concieved and whether it was close to ovulation. We had some miscarriages and ran into some difficulties when trying to have our second child so I was being monitored very closely. Usually when I was nearing my usual ovulation time, I would tell DH we needed to get busy so all bases were covered. This time, I went in for an ultrasound to find I had a mature follicle (I.E. a mature egg that was ready to be released) several days earlier than I normally ovulate, so DH and I had not yet gotten busy ahead of time like we normally would. My doctor decided to give me a shot right there in the office to make sure the egg would release. I had to wait for DH to get home from work that evening and attack him to make sure we didn't miss our chance, LOL. We did conceive that cycle and I was sure it would be another boy since we timed doing the deed so close to ovulation. I was shocked (and thrilled) when an ultrasound revealed we were expecting a little girl. My beautiful DD is now 4 months old, and all girl. So anyway, the point of my long drawn out story was that according to the Shettles method, my DD should have been a DS since we timed intercourse to right when I was ovulating. So it was wrong for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting