Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I've been in the car behind cars that have them and find them exceedingly distracting. This is a particular problem at night when there aren't a lot of lights around. Other people I know have said the same things. It does affect others than those in the car.
If a small square of light distracts you, perhaps you needn't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
. Yes. That's exactly it. Hang on, I've just got to look out the window to make sure my kid isn't choking on the bone I just threw her.

FWIW, I also said that I wasn't going to use the dvd that was in the car we had while I was pregnant. We since got rid of that car, but got a portable DVD player which only goes in the car for our ridiculously long trips.

Because no matter how much I spy and Itsy Bitsy Spider you have at your disposal, the reality is that for a 2/3 year old a 10 hour car ride strapped into a car seat is interminable and boring for them. You stop along the way, and do whatever you can, but why should they be miserable when you have something extra that's fun for them to do? They can't read or really play many games at that age. Not for hours at a time, anyway.

The memories everybody has of these great road trips are from when they were older, I suspect. Little ones have a much harder time of it. And I reiterate, you can't bounce all over the car like you used to be able to do when us old folks were little.

This x1000. LOL Seriously, the rose colored glasses need to come off. I remember laying in the backseat of my dad's 76 Ford LTD with my sister on our way South - can't do that now. Being strapped into a carseat is a smidge different.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Waxing nostalgic is a tenet of the older population (and by older I mean 25+). Most of us forget what it's like to be a kid - having our parents tell us to entertain ourselves, that it's our job to keep ourselves happy, etc. What a brush off and insult! I don't think we should *always* provide entertainment for our kids, but the minute a parent does, the old "they won't have imagination; they have blinders on; they'll get ADD" crap comes out.

Is it that hard to understand that most of these things we talk about on this forum are NOT exclusive happenings? That they are but a small sliver of many things that make up our lives?

People are WAY too quick to pull the "better parent" card on these forums.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, you're the one who has a problem because you think any approach to the situation but yours is "pathetic." Which seems to be a common theme among technophobes who swear civilization as we know it is collapsing because there are DVDs in cars or people use GPS devices or carry smart phones or whatever other device is going to turn us all into drooling, brain-rotted zombies.
Which is ironic considering the great scientific, technological, medical, etc strides we've made (and continue to).

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Dang, Finster, if I-40, a perfectly nice stretch of highway, makes you nuts maybe you SHOULD have the TV in the car.

And yes, the zoo you mentioned was the one we went to. Great zoo. I love Sidney.
Or maybe what one considers nice others consider boring...

Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
This thread is hilarious. For all the perfect parents out there, kudos to you. I'm sure your kids will look back fondly on the long car trips where you forced them to play Binary Bingo or learn Latin. You win the prize, best parents in the house. Just remember when you are sitting on an international flight at 3am singing Kumbaya or She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain to your perfect genius spawn, I'll be the person telling you to shut it.

As for the rest of us bottom dwellers, I have no qualms at all about using the DVD on long trips be they by road or air. I spent many hours on road trips as a child, and although I remember the vacations fondly, the journeys were nothing short of torturous. I also happen to know that moderation is key, and my child watching a movie while strapped into a seat for 10 hours is not going to result in permanent brain damage or spontaneous character alteration. It's a means to an end.

As for those that don't have kids yet, here's a bit of advice; never say never.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This thread is hilarious. For all the perfect parents out there, kudos to you. I'm sure your kids will look back fondly on the long car trips where you forced them to play Binary Bingo or learn Latin. You win the prize, best parents in the house. Just remember when you are sitting on an international flight at 3am singing Kumbaya or She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain to your perfect genius spawn, I'll be the person telling you to shut it.

As for the rest of us bottom dwellers, I have no qualms at all about using the DVD on long trips be they by road or air. I spent many hours on road trips as a child, and although I remember the vacations fondly, the journeys were nothing short of torturous. I also happen to know that moderation is key, and my child watching a movie while strapped into a seat for 10 hours is not going to result in permanent brain damage or spontaneous character alteration. It's a means to an end.

As I like to say, "I was a perfect parent until I had kids".

Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:

Thanks for the laugh. I wish I were as creative.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:

Game. Set. Match. Turn off the stadium lights.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I've been in the car behind cars that have them and find them exceedingly distracting. This is a particular problem at night when there aren't a lot of lights around. Other people I know have said the same things. It does affect others than those in the car.
Me too!
I see the screens more in the SUVs than in minivans. I'm guessing because of the vehicle height difference. It is a bit jarring to see lots of dark around you and images just floating about in the vehicle in front of you. It spooked me a bit the first time I saw it.
What sticks out in my mind is that the times I've seen the screens is in SUVs with teens and young adults as the passengers and they've got with music videos on the screens that a bit ehem .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting