U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

186 posts, read 331,145 times

Advertisements

My first question is, how much do you think a children's bday party should cost/how much do you spend on your kids bday parties? ( ages 3-9)

There are some people that prefer to have their kids parties hosted and planned by someone else. Places like Gymboree, and My Gym, along with museums, and kiddie spa's plan and coordinate kids parties. These places often offer all inclusive packages, and literally do everything so all you have to do is show up. There is often a limit on the amount of kids and adults that can attend, adult food isnt usually included, and children that are invited tend to be very close to the age of the birthday child.

Then there are the parties that parents plan themselves. They can choose any kind of food, cake, amount of kids, and even invite lots of adult friends and family. D'Js are an option, and the start and ending time of the party is up to the parents. These parties may be given in the home, backyard, or a rented out space.

So, which party is the more attractive option for you? Do you live in a suburban/urban evironment? Does your culture play a part in the type of party you would chose or have chosen in the past? Ultimately, which party do you think is best, and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,542,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
My first question is, how much do you think a children's bday party should cost/how much do you spend on your kids bday parties? ( ages 3-9)

There are some people that prefer to have their kids parties hosted and planned by someone else. Places like Gymboree, and My Gym, along with museums, and kiddie spa's plan and coordinate kids parties. These places often offer all inclusive packages, and literally do everything so all you have to do is show up. There is often a limit on the amount of kids and adults that can attend, adult food isnt usually included, and children that are invited tend to be very close to the age of the birthday child.

Then there are the parties that parents plan themselves. They can choose any kind of food, cake, amount of people, and even invite lots of friends and family. D'Js are an option, and the start and ending time of the party is up to the parents. These parties may be giving in the home, backyard, or a rented out space.

So, which party is the more attractive option for you? Do you live in a suburban/urban evironment? Does your culture play a part in the type of party you would chose or have chosen in the past? Ultimately, which party do you think is best, and why?

In reality they are kids and will be happy doing whatever you plan for them i find. Some years it can be chuckecheese and others a pool party or something in the back yard. I just go with the flow is all.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM

24,150 posts, read 27,949,007 times
Personally, I like having it at a bounce house type place where they do everything for you. It stresses me out to think of having all those kids in my house. It seems to cost about $200-$250 for these kinds of parties, depending on what you want included. You could easily spend that at home planning it yourself.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,541,308 times
We have two kids (5 and 11). So we have done the bounce house places, gymnastics, laser quest, boomers, etc. We have also had theme parties at our home with a bounce house. Personally, I like parties OUTSIDE of the home. It's less work, less stress and more enjoyable.

Next month will be our daughter's 6th birthday. She is very girly girly. So we found a place that does an all inclusive "Glamour Makeover Party." They have a host that will do their hair, nails and makeup. We can also bring food, drinks and the cake. It is for 3 hours, and once it's over 3 of my daughter's best friends will come back to our house for a sleepover.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 PM

11,560 posts, read 19,311,358 times
When the kids were really small (1-3) we did family parties at the house. Those parties were really for us, not for the kids so we had our friends and family.

Once the kids were in preschool-early elementary we did parties outside the house. I didn't want that many kids in my house and I didn't want to have to clean up.

In the later elementary years they were more selective about who they wanted to invite and we had small parties at home, or we took just a few friends to a baseball or hockey game.

Now that they are all in MS/HS they prefer a special family dinner and we aren't really doing parties (except their bar mitzvah year). We let the birthday child choose a restaurant and we go as a family. They are allowed to choose a nice restaurant, something special. Their favorite lately seems to be a Brazilian Rodizio in Fort Lauderdale.

Their Bar Mitzvah year we had big parties. 2 down, 1 to go.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM

186 posts, read 331,145 times
Thanks so much for you input everyone, please dont forget to tell me you price range.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:01 PM

11,560 posts, read 19,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
Thanks so much for you input everyone, please dont forget to tell me you price range.
Price ranges vary depending on people's means. Some people can spend more so they do. I don't remember what we spent on parties since it's been a while since our kids have had them.

We spend around $350-$400 for special family dinners. That's dinner at a nice restaurant for 6 people.

Bar Mitzvahs are another story because we have to invite relatives, the party is more formal, etc.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM

846 posts, read 3,088,861 times
We've always had parties out of the house, and we have usually found reasonably priced places. One thing I found is that kids do not always eat lunch at parties, so we either find a cheap place and include pizza, or if we have it somewhere more expensive, we stick to cake and ice-cream. Also, some places such as bowling places supply tickets for games and prizes, which seem be OK as goodie bags, and that saves $ too.

One tip (I learned the hard way), if the kids are young enough to need constant supervision, but old enough where parents drop off, that's when the supervised parties are great.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 AM

444 posts, read 1,023,834 times
I have boys 7,5,3. We have done the bowling alley, chuck-E-cheese, and bouncy houses. They're all around 200-300.

The problem is the BA and CHC places are so rushed. you get one hour to "play" and one hour to eat and you're done. Party over..CHC was every bit of $300 when we included tip and extra pizza for the parents. The hard part is at 5, kids won't remember much.

The last two parties when my other two sons turned 3 and 7, we used the bouncy places (Astro-Jump). I found a local person who gave me 5 hours for a 3 hour price. If the party was 2-4, it was set up from 12-5 and my kids jumped and played for 4.5 of the 5 hours. It was great joy to watch them have so much fun without all the hectic out of the house parties. The nice thing about this is the parents can also talk and relax and just watch their kids enjoy themselves. Hand out a few dozen kiddie drinks, a cake, and you're done.

We also don't bother with goodie bags. If I'm putting out 200-300, Little Johnnie doesn't need anything else, IMO.

ONE last thing, It burns me up when people can't give the courtesy of a RSVP. How hard is a 30 second phone call? COMMON COURTESY FOLKS. Alright, I'm done. My wife are I are looking forward to family dinner parties when they're a little older.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM

14,764 posts, read 33,701,010 times
My kids are 6, 2 and 1. This year was the first year we did an actual kid birthday party at a location for the 6 year old as he is now in Kindergarten. Previously we just did family parties at home. The only one we really went all out for was the 1st one. Given, it's more for the parents, but is sort of a momentous birthday. Those parties cost from $500-$750 when all was said and done. Our normal family party tends to run about $300-$400 and is generally cake, dinner, drinks, etc. The location party we had for the 6 year old was at Chuck E. Cheese. Total cost was about $240 and we didn't have to do a thing. Invited the whole class, about 2/3rds came and everyone had fun. We also provided drinks and pizza for the parents.

I'm open to whatever my kids want, but I really did prefer going somewhere and letting them deal with the mess versus having 12+ kids tear my house apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting