Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM

736 posts, read 1,688,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrode View Post

I'm 23. I do want to get married eventually, but it's not a necessity for me. I make a great income, am thinking about graduate school, want to travel, etc. first. I can't see myself actually walking down the isle for at least another year or two, but no hurry.

Many of my female friends are unmarried at my age. A few are engaged and a very small percentage of them are married. Even less so for my male friends.
This seems to be more common in the north than in the south. People seem to get engaged/married earlier in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,991,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I'm from *your* generation. I'm 27. This not getting married to protest laws against gay marriage is news to me.
Saint Angelina and her pretty boy Brad is to blame for this kooky way of thinking, me thinks.

Brangelina (Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie for those who do not pay attention to celebrity gossip) started this trend quite awhile ago - 3 years ago? I forget - when people were asking them if they were going to get married. They said that they would marry when everyone could marry - gay, lesbian, bi, etc. couples, too.

It's the church getting in the way of same-sex couples marrying. So really, a better way to protest this issue would be to stop going to church.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
This seems to be more common in the north than in the south. People seem to get engaged/married earlier in the south.
I'm from Texas but have lived in the PNW and west coast for the past 8 years and I agree. People are quick to marry and start a family in the South. While in the New England States and in the PNW the trend lately is to wait or not marry or have kids at all, but whatever you do to definitely focus on your career and acquiring real estate first.

Although I have not experienced the Midwestern states... so I'm not sure if it's the same way there. I wouldn't think so. Just from those I've spoken with, the Midwest seems to mirror the South in some ways. More old-school traditional, more old-school conservative.

Also, you notice that the higher the education a person has (especially with women), the less likely they are to marry. Also, the higher the education the fewer kids they have.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Ooops! Sorry missed this post!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

It's the church getting in the way of same-sex couples marrying. So really, a better way to protest this issue would be to stop going to church.
Not the churches around here. I know of at least one in my immediate area that performs religious ceremonies, but won't sign legal certificates, until everyone is allowed to marry. Most local churches fly rainbow flags, some are headed by gay ministers, and many have very large GLBT congregations. In other words, there is no one "church" view on this topic. Of course if one is a member of a congregation that is supportive of state bans on legal marriage (and one opposes that view) then it would make sense to boycott that church and to find a new spiritual home.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM

884 posts, read 2,633,738 times
Although I have not experienced the Midwestern states... so I'm not sure if it's the same way there. I wouldn't think so. Just from those I've spoken with, the Midwest seems to mirror the South in some ways. More old-school traditional, more old-school conservative.

As a born and raised midwesterner (Ohio) and married to one (St Louis) I do think the Midwest is right behind the South in getting married early. There might be some stats out there too. Chicago might be the exception.

We were 21/22 when we got married in 93' and we were one of many of our peers and family members that married young. Many of them are no longer married though.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Not the churches around here. I know of at least one in my immediate area that performs religious ceremonies, but won't sign legal certificates, until everyone is allowed to marry. Most local churches fly rainbow flags, some are headed by gay ministers, and many have very large GLBT congregations. In other words, there is no one "church" view on this topic. Of course if one is a member of a congregation that is supportive of state bans on legal marriage (and one opposes that view) then it would make sense to boycott that church and to find a new spiritual home.
I was going to rep you for the insight but it says I must spread some around first. I had no idea there were some churches that supported same-sex marriages. So aside from religious reasons, then - why wouldn't the government allow same-sex couples to marry? I don't get it.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,802,915 times
Quote:
I was going to rep you for the insight but it says I must spread some around first. I had no idea there were some churches that supported same-sex marriages. So aside from religious reasons, then - why wouldn't the government allow same-sex couples to marry? I don't get it.
Though I am not a church goer. They church I sometimes go with my mom supports it. It's nondenominational Christian.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
Quote:
..So aside from religious reasons, then - why wouldn't the government allow same-sex couples to marry? I don't get it.
I don't get it either. I think some of it comes from the idea that marriage exists to provide a framework for children, and it is assumed that only straight couples have children. I may be old-fashioned in the eyes of some when I say that I think that it IS better for children to have married parents, but that seems to be all the more reason to allow GLBT couples to marry; they're obviously forming families, too, and their kids deserve to have married parents, too. I think this is all changing (and will change in my lifetime), as the opposition to gay marriage does split heavily along age lines.

I don't know what the numbers on this show so far, but I'd be interested to see how things shake out once gay marriage is legalized in more places. Will young GLBT couples be more likely to marry than their straight peers? Less? The same? If federal law recognizes the right of all gay couples to marry, will that have an impact on the marriages (or marriage rates) of straight couples? (and for the tabloids: will Brad and Angelina really marry?)

Old 12-29-2010, 11:00 PM

736 posts, read 1,688,709 times
Quote:
I'm from Texas but have lived in the PNW and west coast for the past 8 years and I agree. People are quick to marry and start a family in the South. While in the New England States and in the PNW the trend lately is to wait or not marry or have kids at all, but whatever you do to definitely focus on your career and acquiring real estate first.

Also, you notice that the higher the education a person has (especially with women), the less likely they are to marry. Also, the higher the education the fewer kids they have.
I've lived in and gone to school in South Carolina, and a lot of girls (it seems) go to college with the goal of finding a husband there. I'm not saying they go to college *just* to find a husband, but it's definitely right up there with graduating. They get dressed up just to go to class, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting