Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

SMITHFIELD, N.C., Nov. 25 (UPI) -- Parents of students at a North Carolina school district are questioning a policy banning lip balm without a note from a parent or doctor.

Stephanie Boyd, a parent at West View Elementary School, said she and other parents received a letter Nov. 9 from Johnston County Schools saying lip balm and cough drops would not be allowed in schools without a note from a parent or doctor, the Charlotte (N.C.) Observer reported Thursday.

School lip balm ban baffles parents - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I cannot believe what we ban in schools these days. My school has banned all nut products. Now, I know people are allergic to nuts. My husband is allergic to peanuts, I get it. But more children are allergic to milk than to peanuts. We don't ban milk. None of it makes any sense to me. I would think that if there is a problem with one child then you deal with that one child. Why ban it for all children when only a handful have an issue?

Chap stick? Yes, that is such a threat.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
That is nuts. The school is worried about spreading germs? How about just asking the teachers to spend a couple of minutes talking about hygiene 101: don't share your chap stick, wash your hand, and all that. It would be a lot faster than spending the rest of the year checking permission slips and confiscating rogue lip balm tubes. Or just send a message to parents asking them to discuss the issues with their kids. And if the issue is parents pressuring the school because they are worried that their own kid will get sick: nervous parents just need to back off, and if they're that concerned then they should just talk to their own kid about it. You can't protect your child from anything.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
"Parents were afraid that children would share the Chapstick and spread germs," Sessoms said. "By requiring written permission from the parents, parents would be aware that their children had Chapstick and would be able to remind them not to share it with other children. This would also be a way for teachers to be aware so that they could deter students from sharing it with others."

They do realize, that even with this ban, students can still share lip balm? It doesn't take a ban to be able to remind people not to share lip balm....Wonder what will happen when they realize that kids sometimes share pencils too?....

Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They do realize, that even with this ban, students can still share lip balm? It doesn't take a ban to be able to remind people not to share lip balm....Wonder what will happen when they realize that kids sometimes share pencils too?....
But see now, parents of sick kids can't sue the school for not protecting their kids from sickness. We're dealing with greedy lawyers and parents who want to get rich off the system and use their children as pawns in their little game.

Blame the parents. It's because of them, that schools have to go through so much trouble to protect themselves against lawsuits.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
Maybe they should put each child in a singular bio-hazard quarantine and keep them there for the duration of the school day, that way they can finally stop the germ spreading once and for all. Schools are headed in this direction anyway, so they might as well stop dragging their feet and just get it over with.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:07 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Maybe they should put each child in a singular bio-hazard quarantine and keep them there for the duration of the school day, that way they can finally stop the germ spreading once and for all. Schools are headed in this direction anyway, so they might as well stop dragging their feet and just get it over with.
HEHEHE very true :-P

Old 11-26-2010, 10:23 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
Ridiculous. I warn my kids about sharing brushes, combs and hats (I do not want lice), but I'm not a germaphobe. I don't even believe in hand sanitizer. Kids get germs. They get colds. They get better. Life goes on. I know for a fact that my girls share food with their friends at lunch. My fifth-grader will tell me about how she and her friends split an Italian ice from the snack bar. Shrug. We can't turn the world into a bubble for our kids. BTW, it should be noted that my girls only miss 2 or 3 days of school per year. They're rarely sick, so clearly, my lack of worry is working. lol.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Ridiculous. I warn my kids about sharing brushes, combs and hats (I do not want lice), but I'm not a germaphobe. I don't even believe in hand sanitizer. Kids get germs. They get colds. They get better. Life goes on. I know for a fact that my girls share food with their friends at lunch. My fifth-grader will tell me about how she and her friends split an Italian ice from the snack bar. Shrug. We can't turn the world into a bubble for our kids. BTW, it should be noted that my girls only miss 2 or 3 days of school per year. They're rarely sick, so clearly, my lack of worry is working. lol.

Yeah...I'm not a huge worrier over germs either....and my kids also weren't sick too much. Handwashing is a good thing. More kids are probably getting sick touching doorknobs, desktops, chairbacks and locker handles than are getting sick from shared lip balm anyway....

Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
So it is better for the kids to go around with chapped, cracked lips? Geez, in the winters EVERYBODY needs it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting