Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,220,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Children IMO pollute the world, but such is life. We have to tolerate things we don't like.
IMO, there are some adults walking around still polluting the world and are even harder to tolerate than children.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,325,889 times
Quote:
Children IMO pollute the world, but such is life. We have to tolerate things we don't like.

It's very brave of you to make that kind of a statement about children in a forum filled with LOVING PARENTS

Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
It's one thing if the kid is kicking seats, acting like a hellion, standing in the chairs, etc. THAT shows a parenting problem if the parents choose not to respond. However, a small child who happens to speak loudly does not show ill-breeding. What the heck is a conversational tone when it comes to a 4 year old, huh? My daughter naturally speaks loudly. Of course, we tell her to quiet down and be mindful of her voice. Eventually she'll get it..but if she's otherwise acting civilized and coloring and minding her business, I don't really care if someone objects to her presence. Heck, you have adults not using conversational tones, and often using profanity in restaurants. Maybe I should get huffy about that too.

Before anyone jumps down my proverbial throat because I am a parent, let's be clear -- children running amok with no parental intervention irritates me too. At the same time, some folks need to give parents a break here, especially if they are trying to address any perceived ill behavior.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
Quote:
Children IMO pollute the world, but such is life.

Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
(Psalms 127:3-5 ESV)

Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Is this thread back again? I thought it was exhausted months ago.
Same topic new thread....you'll notice after a bit there are certain topics that keep showing up like a bad penny..

Working moms vs stay at home moms
Breastfeeding (vs bottle feeding, how long, in public, whatever)
Spanking
Vaccinating
Peanut allergies
Kids who behave poorly in public (especially restaurants)....

Every couple of months someone new comes along and it starts all over again....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
there is no rational reason for anything. And who are you to say which forums a person should go to? Ego problems?
Hardly. I asked why you were here. Asking an intention is not synonymous with telling someone what to do.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
It's one thing if the kid is kicking seats, acting like a hellion, standing in the chairs, etc.
Kicking seats? I'm sure no one here would allow that...it would be so annoying.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Didn't your son butter the floor of your kitchen?
No. But both have done other dumb things. And really smart things. That whole human being thing, ya know....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Just an opinion. This forum is for outlining opinions, n'est ce pas?
Your response made no sense and still doesn't.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
There is absolutely no reason that kids should be running around in restaurants or engaging in similarly poor behavior. And I say that as a parent of a preschooler. The occasional raised voice shouldn't be a big deal, as long as the child quiets down right away. Kids certainly should be welcome to be out and about in society, but that doesn't mean running wild. I rarely see that kind of bad behavior, but have seen it from time to time. There is NO reason anyone should have to tolerate that, and no reason a parent can shrug it off as "kids being kids." If your kid has a tantrum then you need to remove him or her from the restaurant. If the kid is bored and wants to walk around and play under the tables then you tell him no, and either distract him (most parents I know travel with things to do just that) or you cut your dinner short. That said, people in restaurants who see parents with kids in full melt-down mode who ARE doing something about should cut them some slack; it's not always possible to instantaneously whisk them out the door.

As a parent one of the most annoying situations for me is when we are out at a restaurant and I see other kids modeling behavior that I don't find acceptable. Usually it's relatively mild (I rarely see the really out-of-control kids), but it still bugs me. We use that as an opportunity to talk about what's appropriate and what's not appropriate behavior, though, so at least it's a learning experience. My son might not behave perfectly at all times, but he knows that he's not going to be allowed to get up and wander around at a restaurant, for example. It's simply not an option. Never has been. Never will be. Excusing that kind of behavior as "kids being kids" is taking the lazy way out.
Quoted for truth. Can't rep you again yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.