Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM

466 posts, read 815,414 times

Advertisements

I can't stand to be stared at, either. However, my son has started doing this in his high chair. He's turning 1 Saturday and still doesn't really understand when I tell him no and I even turn his head. We try to feed him or distract with the the million and one toys we take in. But I'm not wisking him out of a restaurant for staring. He gets bored after two or three minutes and is on to something else. I hope no one is out there seething about that. I'm much more annoyed when older kids do it.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,040,180 times
You realize I hope that all this bad behavior is caused by the parents not taking responsibility for their kids. And you can be sure if they don't discipline their children at home they sure won't do it in public.

I've actually been in restaurants where it appears the adults just are blind to what their kids are doing and who they disrupt.

We are older parents and we believe in disciplining our kids so that they can learn to discipline themselves as they grow up. I don't think alot of younger parents even want to discipline their children. It is so obvious the children are running the whole show.

We are not perfect parents and don't hold ourselves out to be such. However i cannot count the number of times people have come up to us to compliment us on the manners and behavior our children show in public-both shopping and eating. They learned from an early age to hold their hands behind their backs when they went into a store. Some kids have become used to shopping in Wallmart where their parents might hand them a toy to keep them occupied while in the store. Kids need to learn most stores are not run like that.

If parents would realize it is their role to parent the child and not be their best friend, I think we would have better behaved children in public.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,589,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I can't stand to be stared at, either. However, my son has started doing this in his high chair. He's turning 1 Saturday and still doesn't really understand when I tell him no and I even turn his head. We try to feed him or distract with the the million and one toys we take in. But I'm not wisking him out of a restaurant for staring. He gets bored after two or three minutes and is on to something else. I hope no one is out there seething about that. I'm much more annoyed when older kids do it.

Being strapped in a highchair is WAY different than standing and staring over the back of a booth. I probably wouldn't even notice a baby in a highchair staring.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Being strapped in a highchair is WAY different than standing and staring over the back of a booth. I probably wouldn't even notice a baby in a highchair staring.

Exactly. I was thinking of 4 or 5 year olds and up who should know better.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,134,194 times
Sadly that picture posted was upsetting but unfortunately I got to see the real deal in person. My niece by marriage had a baby at 18. The girl was really a mess on so many levels but anyway.... She took her 2 year old to her AA meeting. She walked off leaving the boy on the other side of the room. At each table was a carafe of very hot coffee. He reached up, grabbed it and dumped the whole pot into his lap. He was screaming and others nearby tore his clothes off him because they were soaked. He ended up with burns to his stomach, penis, and inner thighs. He has scars. So the poster with the picture does have a point. Beyond children being annoying in a restaurant there are parents that seem to dismiss the dangers.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Sadly that picture posted was upsetting but unfortunately I got to see the real deal in person. My niece by marriage had a baby at 18. The girl was really a mess on so many levels but anyway.... She took her 2 year old to her AA meeting. She walked off leaving the boy on the other side of the room. At each table was a carafe of very hot coffee. He reached up, grabbed it and dumped the whole pot into his lap. He was screaming and others nearby tore his clothes off him because they were soaked. He ended up with burns to his stomach, penis, and inner thighs. He has scars. So the poster with the picture does have a point. Beyond children being annoying in a restaurant there are parents that seem to dismiss the dangers.

How horrible. How is he now? Did she blame herself or just not care? Also, should you really be taking a 2 yr old to an AA meeting?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,554,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Most burns occur in the home.

Sorry to hear about your niece's son, that's awful.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,506,998 times
I need no lecture here from anyone on danger. I've spent the last 20 years investigating injuries in auto accidents and in commercial buildings and I've seen and taken photos that would knock your socks off. Would I post them here? Absolutely not. An anonymous internet forum is NOT the time or the place. I appreciate your work shows you a lot of bad things; but your photo was in extremely poor taste.

My son is 15 now and I've made him so paranoid about driving and biking that I feel kind of guilty. He somehow managed to escape the toddler years unscathed by burns or any other serious injury for that matter.

I also know, without one single doubt, that NOTHING is 100% preventable. My brother was killed while on a bike by a drunk driver. HE was 8 years old and did NOTHING wrong. The drunk adult made all the mistakes.

So PLEASE do NOT lecture me on safety. I know FIRSTHAND just how many bad things can happen.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,284,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
If they are that slippery then they are to young to be out. As I said 100% preventable.
Couldn't disagree more. You are wrong. Period.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,284,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
And you do understand that a three year old is curious about his or her surroundings and that you might have to ::gasp:: deal with a short stare here and there in public, right?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.