Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I beg to differ. I am an older mom and never once have I treated my child like she walks on water. I take my parenting responsibility very serious, much more so than when I was younger.
Agreed. Thats how my mom was. To her parenting wasn't just cute shoes and "aww look she is running how precious". The world still turned and people still wanted to eat at restaurants in peace.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I picture him sitting at home in a black turtleneck....
And nothing else?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Funny, I never experienced any crazy acting kids at a restaurant. Where do you guys go to eat anyways? When I bring my kid, to a place like Olive Garden, he is too busy eating french fries and drinking sprite. ( the one occasion he gets to do that ). The other kids at the restaurant does the same thing. They eat. Nobody is running around and yelling. The only place I seen that is Chucky Cheese or maybe McDonald's.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
^^I wish I could rep you. Gotta spread the lovin'.

One thing I cannot stand is when a child stands on the booth and stares at you over the booth. That p**** me off to no end. The parents just sit there oblivious to the whole thing. I have NEVER seen a parent tell their child to sit down when they are standing in the booth.
I hate being stared at when I'm eating. RANT OVER.

By the way I still have a picture of that poor child that was burnt in my head. Thanks a lot Tom That picture had me close to tears.
Try seeing it live and being the kids nurse. There are things I still have nightmares about. And none of them had to happen.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Drama queen much? This is an uneccesary post, a friendly reminder would suffice. I am an RN, and have worked in Pediatric ICU's for nearly 20 years. I can honestly say I have never heard of a serious injury from restaurant shenanigans, choking maybe, but not burns. Plenty of burns from hot liquids in the home, infact all the serious liquid burns that I remember happened in the home. Maybe we should all eat out all the time then, you know to prevent burns?

You've been lucky then. I have had these patients. You might want to check out ENA's Injury prevention program.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Try seeing it live and being the kids nurse. There are things I still have nightmares about. And none of them had to happen.
Do you have that thing a lot of medical professionals have? What's it called? Oh yeah, "God Complex". The belief you can control everything....

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you have that thing a lot of medical professionals have? What's it called? Oh yeah, "God Complex". The belief you can control everything....
I would hazard a guess that it is more severe depression and frustration. I can only imagine what they see on a daily basis that could have been 100% prevented. I would be choking parents if I were them.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
You've been lucky then. I have had these patients. You might want to check out ENA's Injury prevention program.
Of course scalds happen in restaurants, but extremely rarely. ENA is a professional organization, but there is plenty of education and statistical information out there. Scalds are the most common type of burns in children, and 70% of those scalds occur in the home. Bringing your professional expertise into a thread is great, but misinformation is dangerous and careless. Making people paranoid about restaurant scalds, which happen very rarely, is irresponsible. If you want to educate then focus on the real danger which is burns in the home.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Not a great many reasons to have them at all then are there.

I agree, it's up to the parents to teach children how to behave in different environments. I wouldn't say this is particularly an epidemic, but yes I have come across parents at various times who think that their little he!! raiser is just the cutest, funniest, most adorable thing.

I have picked up kids who weren't feeling the whole restaurant vibe and left on a couple of ocassions*. I've also changed plans before going, because I could tell that we weren't going to be appreciated on that particular day. Yes, there are going to be children everywhere, but I don't think it's out of line for others to have reasonable expectations of your child's behavior in different settings. And it's the parent's responsibility to live up to expectations society has of your darling.

*My own children by the way. I don't mean picking up other peoples' children and depositing them outside....though, not a bad idea at times....
I consider anyone who takes out a cell phone to use in public to be a very low class person and many are on welfare and just want to flaunt their tax paid toy. Yes anyone who uses a cell phone in public for any reason except an emergency is being very rude. I have never seen anyone speak in a normal volume into a cell phone. I have had several meals ruined by someone at the next table talking into one, fussing at someone, barking orders; one lady must have been really lonesome. She spent the entire meal talking into one at a voice that was impossible to tune out and my husband and I could not carry on a normal voiced conversation. All we could hear was her giggling, laughing, and being a jerk.

Some people seem to think these phones make them important and I have seen them look around to make sure everyone knows they have one. Take it outside and do not talk into a cell phone until you have. You are distrubing everyone. I used to work in the library and had to ask at least three people a day to take it outside. By the time I got to them they had already caused a problem. There was a sign at the entrance saying no cell phone use. Why were they in the library if they couldn't read. There were repeat offenders. It is not that they cannot read and they don't know that they are distrubing others; they're just rude low class people.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Of course scalds happen in restaurants, but extremely rarely. ENA is a professional organization, but there is plenty of education and statistical information out there. Scalds are the most common type of burns in children, and 70% of those scalds occur in the home. Bringing your professional expertise into a thread is great, but misinformation is dangerous and careless. Making people paranoid about restaurant scalds, which happen very rarely, is irresponsible. If you want to educate then focus on the real danger which is burns in the home.
I stopped ordering coffee at restaurants when a waitress came within inches of my daughters head with a pot full of hot coffee in order to fill my cup. Insurance will not help a child who has been scalded. Some things cannot be repaired and there is not enough money in the world to replace a child.

It is my opinion that anyone that does not love children has more problems than any amount of noise a child might make. When children cannot talk, the only way they have to let anyone know they want something is to cry. The worst thing you can do for a parent is to make them uncomfortable because the child picks up vibes from their parents. Acceptance will go a long way in getting a child to behave. So if you don't like children, being helpful to the parents will end up making everybody happy. I learned that a long time ago and it contributed to a more quiet library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting