Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM

121 posts, read 385,531 times

Advertisements

I have a niece who is 9 years old, her mom is about to put her into cheerleader and I think it would be a bad idea? I told my brother to focus her on the piano. Anyhow, I just believe cheerleading is just a bad idea because it just reinforce stereotypes and brainwashes them. What's your opinion about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM

79 posts, read 308,172 times
Cheerleading is just like any other sport or activity that involves being part of a team. It encourages confidence, strength, exercise, agility and more. Any of the stereotypes that may be there are because individuals place those stereotypes...including you no offense. If you are worried about cheerleading without ever having seen a class or spoken to kids who are involved you are already placing that stereotype. Yes there are moms ta go above and beyond and in turn their kids turn out a certain way that may fit a certain stereotype. But you have football dads that grill there kids to be the best too and in turn their sons turn into cocky mean spirited guys who think they are better than everyone. I has nothing to do with the activity or sport but rather with the parents, how they guide their child, and how they participate in that activity with them and supporting them. I grew up doing dance but also played the piano, clarinet and saxophone. I later went on to cheer and competed in two pageants. But i was never a typical pageant girl and I was friends with everyone. Music is a great thing too and builds up the brain, but I believe encouraging social activity and exercise is also just as important. Kids are in school all day but rarely are they made to work together as a team unless they are involved in an outside activity. Check it out if youre concerned. And not just for a day or two. No just on videos. Go to a cheer camp for a week, watch the practices, talk to the girls, the parents and the coaches. If you still feel poorly about it then, at least you can then say you made a qualitative judgement.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
I just enrolled my 6 year old in cheerleading. I gave her a choice in several sports and activities and she chose cheerleading. Her class started in early February. I kind of felt the same way as you when this started. Not to the extent that you do, but I was hoping she would choose something else. I feel completely different about it now. I can already see a big change in her. She isn't as shy as she used to be and I think a lot of that has to do with how confident cheerleading is making her. It is also teaching her to work as a team towards a goal. She told me the other day that we need to work together because "we are stronger when we work together than if we work alone". She is also learning that even if she isn't the best at one part of cheerleading, she will be the best at a different part. For someone who has the type of personality that she thinks she has to be the best at everything, that is a good thing.

I say that you should give it a chance. See how it works. You never know. She may join cheerleading and realize she doesn't like it. This may all be a moot point.

I have a feeling though that you will like what you see after just a couple of weeks.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Have you watched high school/club cheerleading lately? They compete on ESPN. At this point it is more a sport than an "activity". Most (if not all) of these girls are gymnasts on some level. They are not just social girls who sit by the sidelines cheering for the boys' teams. As far as "stereotypes" go - when our cheerleaders compete at the state level, the school goes to support them - just like they do the basketball team. At 9 years old, it seems to me the girl is old enough to express an interest herself in what she chooses to participate in. If that is what she is intersted in then why not give it a try? The only ones I would worry about are the ones with parents who get all wound up in their child fulfilling the parents own dreams - which can happen in any sport or activity.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-09-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I did cheerleading when I was around that age. I loved it because I loved jumping around and dancing. I was never in competitive cheerleading but I did it all the way up until I was 14 and loved every moment. I think it can be really fun for girls.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I have a 12 year old that has been in cheer for a little over 2 years. She did peewee cheer for one season back when she was 9, that was different. She is in competitive cheer and it IS a sport. She just finished up her second year of competitive cheer (lucky to have one of the top gyms in the country only 5 miles from our house) and won her second NCA jacket. Look up the NCA. Watch the videos. WOW! She is trying out today for school cheer (GOOD LUCK GIRL! You can do it!). With competitive cheer growing in the area it's making school cheer a lot harder to get into if you don't have the tumbling. She has it so I'm not worried there .

You didn't say but is she signing her up for competitive cheer? Just a cheer class w/ tumbling and jumps? School cheer? Or peewee cheer? There is BIG difference between these.

As others have said, it's just like other sports and fanatic parents. There are those that wear the team colors day and night and those that don't and everything in between. IN ALL SPORTS! Including PIANO!

She can still do piano and cheer. My daughter is in competitive cheer, band (clarinet) and soccer (rec). I honestly believe that the last two years of cheer have drastically changed her soccer skills in a good way.

It's okay to do cheer and band/piano. It makes them well rounded and that is what you want. This is the only time in life when you can try different things. As you get older you can't.

Well, off to get ready to go to school cheer tryouts.

FYI, there is a board that is dedicated to nothing but cheerleading. It's called fierce board. You can pass it on to your brother and his wife. And then when she has a game or competition YOU can go and support her.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 AM

13,417 posts, read 9,941,794 times
What is everyone's opinion on the problem of serious injuries sustained by competitive cheerleaders? I've seen some pretty scary stories in the media about it. Do you think cheerleaders are pushed to a dangerous level in order to gain competitive edge or has the media has hyped it out of proportion to what really happens?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What is everyone's opinion on the problem of serious injuries sustained by competitive cheerleaders? I've seen some pretty scary stories in the media about it. Do you think cheerleaders are pushed to a dangerous level in order to gain competitive edge or has the media has hyped it out of proportion to what really happens?
I do think that is a valid concern. One of the girls here (the sister of one of DS's friends) has recieved some pretty substantial concussion(s?)....Seems to me that cheerleading is the sport with the highest injury levels...Can't remember 100% but thought I read something about that in the past several years.....

We never had to face this issue....DD inherited her mother's "grace" and athletic (in)ability....

Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think that one of the big problems in that regard is the coaches. Most are poorly trained in any kind of injury prevention. Most are, in fact, former cheerleaders who were coached by the same type of people. Chicken and egg. My kids were competitive gymnasts. Some of their friends went on to be cheerleaders, instead of doing HS gymnastics. Their (my kids') issue was that many cheer coaches take girls who are essentially untaught in gymnastics and try to get them to do things above their skill levels. Also, they often do not use appropriate safety equipment, e.g. mats.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 AM

13,417 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I do think that is a valid concern. One of the girls here (the sister of one of DS's friends) has recieved some pretty substantial concussion(s?)....Seems to me that cheerleading is the sport with the highest injury levels...Can't remember 100% but thought I read something about that in the past several years.....

We never had to face this issue....DD inherited her mother's "grace" and athletic (in)ability....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think that one of the big problems in that regard is the coaches. Most are poorly trained in any kind of injury prevention. Most are, in fact, former cheerleaders who were coached by the same type of people. Chicken and egg. My kids were competitive gymnasts. Some of their friends went on to be cheerleaders, instead of doing HS gymnastics. Their (my kids') issue was that many cheer coaches take girls who are essentially untaught in gymnastics and try to get them to do things above their skill levels. Also, they often do not use appropriate safety equipment, e.g. mats.
Interesting. I know nothing about it, so I thought you guys might be able to clue me in. It does seem more dangerous than other sports from a layman's perspective, especially if your kid happens to be the one in danger of hitting the floor headfirst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting