Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Five children who were raised hidden from society in a squalid house with no heat, electricity or running water have been found by police.

Officers in York, Pennsylvania, are now asking how and why the parents of the children - ranging in age from two to 13 - managed to conceal them for so long.

Read more: Parents of five children 'hidden away and raised without schooling or healthcare' charged with child endangerment | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
How they managed to do it is clear from reading the article: CYS dropped the ball!

The CYS received tips about these children in 2003, 2007 & 2009, but CYS didn't get a court order to enter the home until 2010!

This is insanity that it would take almost 10 years for CYS to investigate this! CYS is a broken system!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Looks like their neighbors never checked on them.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
See! That could have happened in your ideal neighborhood, not mine!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How they managed to do it is clear from reading the article: CYS dropped the ball!

The CYS received tips about these children in 2003, 2007 & 2009, but CYS didn't get a court order to enter the home until 2010!

This is insanity that it would take almost 10 years for CYS to investigate this! CYS is a broken system!

Cps or cys *Which i am assuming is the same thing?* is often well underfunded,understaffed, and overworked. The thing is people never highlight the hundreds of good stories about them, and just the few bad ones. What they did is follow proper procedure hopes. Everyone seems to think it's easy to just go in and remove kids. But often it is a long laborious process, that takes several steps to get a court order. And yes in many states parents legally don't have to cooperate which often means cps can't really do anything unless they receive more tips or can know abuse is going on. See there is a double edged sword in this country...in the fact that most people don't seem to believe the state should have much say or power in dealing with children...yet when something like this happens everyone is crying bloody murder for peoples heads.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
How can CYS have dropped the ball when there was no record of existence for the kids?

They get a tip, go to a home and are told there are no children and nothing they can find suggests otherwise. No birth certificates, no medical records, no neighbors have ever seen any kids. There is nothing to support that tip, therefore there is really nothing they can do until they can prove the existence of children.

It is very sad that virtually no one even knew they existed, so they couldn't be helped sooner. I wonder who managed to find out about them, or if it was a family member who was guessing more than knowing.

So sad for these kids.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
How can CYS have dropped the ball when there was no record of existence for the kids?

They get a tip, go to a home and are told there are no children and nothing they can find suggests otherwise. No birth certificates, no medical records, no neighbors have ever seen any kids. There is nothing to support that tip, therefore there is really nothing they can do until they can prove the existence of children.

It is very sad that virtually no one even knew they existed, so they couldn't be helped sooner. I wonder who managed to find out about them, or if it was a family member who was guessing more than knowing.

So sad for these kids.

Yes that as well, and like i mentioned before state law often allows parents to just not cooperate as well giving cps little recourse.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Cps or cys *Which i am assuming is the same thing?* is often well underfunded,understaffed, and overworked. The thing is people never highlight the hundreds of good stories about them, and just the few bad ones. What they did is follow proper procedure hopes. Everyone seems to think it's easy to just go in and remove kids. But often it is a long laborious process, that takes several steps to get a court order. And yes in many states parents legally don't have to cooperate which often means cps can't really do anything unless they receive more tips or can know abuse is going on. See there is a double edged sword in this country...in the fact that most people don't seem to believe the state should have much say or power in dealing with children...yet when something like this happens everyone is crying bloody murder for peoples heads.
Well said. One of the worst jobs in the world is social worker for CPS. Get paid *%$#, and have everyone treat you badly.

I remember a thread a while ago on here about someone who was reported by their daycare for their child's suspicious injuries, and everyone was up in arms. You can't have it both ways. Either CPS investigates all suspicious incidents, they get bigger budgets and more resources, or you'll hear more of these awful stories.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:21 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
all i can say is that i feel so sorry for those children. they will probably need a lifetime of therapy. how can no one hear crying?? how did they manage to control these children so well that no one even knew they existed? i hope that with time, these kids advance to a level of life where they need to be.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Why have kids if you are going to treat them worse than animals?

I know, they're sickos, but still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting