Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times

Advertisements

What is a reasonable time for a teenager's guests to leave? My teen has an 11:30 curfew on weekends, and we discuss what time she should be home on weeknights, depending on what she's doing. When she has friends or her boyfriend over, should we stick to the same time on weekends as a "time to go home now" time? What about during the week? Tonight she had her boyfriend over until 9:45 or so, and I started getting antsy around 9:00, but did not want to be unreasonable. What do you think? I'm going to chat with her tomororw and try to set some guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I never allowed friends over during the week, unless it was to work on school assignments, and then the work dictated how long anyone stayed.

How old is your daughter? Are her friends driving? My sons and their friends all had curfews and they all had to be home by 12:30 or so. Before they got licenses, pick up times were dictated by the other parents, and were usually earlier. I'm a late owl anyway, so it never bothered me if I was up late because kids were over. Now, kids are much more likely just to crash in our basement than drive home late.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I think during the week, 9 pm is more than adequate - barring special circumstances (working on a project etc). Weekends....I never really cared how late same-sex friends stayed here. BF/GF...that's another issue all together since (IMO anyway) some level of supervision is needed...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
I would say 9 or 10 on school nights. I don't care how late kids stay on the weekends but they usually leave by midnight. This is really an area where your needs should rule. If you want to go to sleep by 10 then have the BF out by 9.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
She's actually our exchange student and not my daughter. She'll be 17 next month, and yes, most of her friends drive. My own kids are young and go to bed by 9:00, so I think I'm going to tell her that BF needs to leave by 9:00. I don't have my own teenagers and I didn't want to be unreasonable... sometimes I'm surprised by what's the norm among teens now. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
fwiw, when i lived overseas, teenagers were rarely back in the nest by 11pm on "school nights." so she may have no idea she is acting outside of what you would like to see.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
What is a reasonable time for a teenager's guests to leave? My teen has an 11:30 curfew on weekends, and we discuss what time she should be home on weeknights, depending on what she's doing. When she has friends or her boyfriend over, should we stick to the same time on weekends as a "time to go home now" time? What about during the week? Tonight she had her boyfriend over until 9:45 or so, and I started getting antsy around 9:00, but did not want to be unreasonable. What do you think? I'm going to chat with her tomororw and try to set some guidelines.

I would just tell her that during the weekends longer is find, but during the week the cut off is 9 p.m.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I never cared when my children's same-sex friends came and went from our house. My children knew their friends could sleep over without needing to ask for permission. Boyfriends/girlfriends had to leave when the last parent was going to bed.

I think 9pm is too early for a 17 year old. In less than a year, she will be an adult. Girlfriends should be able to stay after you go to bed, but boyfriends need supervision so your bedtime should dictate when boyfriends leave.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
IMO, the age of the teen has no bearing on the 9 pm thing though...during the week, presumably, there are other members of the household who have work/school the following day. It's simply courtesy for the rest of the household. By 9, I may want to be in my pajamas downstairs having a cup of tea or folding laundry. Younger children may be getting ready for bed. As an adult, I wouldn't generally be having guests in my home past 9 during the week either. I also don't think people should be phoning after 9..same thing. At some point, you should be able to relax, uninterrupted in your own home, walking around in pajamas or a robe or whatever, knowing everyone is gone, doors are locked etc.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
IMO, the age of the teen has no bearing on the 9 pm thing though...during the week, presumably, there are other members of the household who have work/school the following day. It's simply courtesy for the rest of the household. By 9, I may want to be in my pajamas downstairs having a cup of tea or folding laundry. Younger children may be getting ready for bed. As an adult, I wouldn't generally be having guests in my home past 9 during the week either. I also don't think people should be phoning after 9..same thing. At some point, you should be able to relax, uninterrupted in your own home, walking around in pajamas or a robe or whatever, knowing everyone is gone, doors are locked etc.
I fully agree with this. 9:00 on a weeknight seems perfectly reasonable, not because of her age but because the rest of the family has to get to bed, and it's nice to have some relaxing family time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting