U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 AM

21,969 posts, read 12,758,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Pagan mama was raised as the black sheep of a very catholic and orthodox extended family unit and went to a catholic high school to humor her ancient grandmother. Most of the ones i saw with ultra religious parents didn't choose the same path as their parents, and only a handful who chose the path themselves seemed to be able to remain like that till marriage.....and that's just talking about intercourse. I couldn't name anyone i met who was a total chaste virgin till marriage to be honest.
You know me. Always nosey. We have such opposite views in a lot of things I'm always curious as to how you've reached your conclusions.

Through church and Bible studies I've known many teenagers who are saving themselves for marriage and are very serious about it. Some come from religious parents, some don't. Some are "cradle Christians", some aren't. Both sexes, BTW. And for them "no sex" means Bill Clinton didn't redefine sex for them lol.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM

3,967 posts, read 3,287,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You know me. Always nosey. We have such opposite views in a lot of things I'm always curious as to how you've reached your conclusions.

Through church and Bible studies I've known many teenagers who are saving themselves for marriage and are very serious about it. Some come from religious parents, some don't. Some are "cradle Christians", some aren't. Both sexes, BTW. And for them "no sex" means Bill Clinton didn't redefine sex for them lol.

You will get more of a concentration in church or bible study though, and the thing is....not all of them will be serious. Acceptance in a social group is something we crave as humans, so often we find ourselves doing what the social group wants to maintain that. So yes a portion will be serious at that general time *but not last*, a portion will just say no to because most everyone else does, and a small portion will actually last to marriage.

Every study done generally puts the amount of people who actually wait at between 3 to 5 percent.

Even Grandma had premarital sex, survey finds - Health - Sexual health - msnbc.com No Kissing? No Problem Until Marriage of IU Purity Couple | News - Indiana Public Media (http://indianapublicmedia.org/news/kissing-problem-marriage-iu-purity-couple/ - broken link)
Most Americans have had premarital sex, study finds - USATODAY.com
Premarital Sex the Norm in America

And that is just intercourse remember if you factor in most peoples more liberal definitions of "Sex" then it's even lower im sure. And i came to these conclusions by just observing things over the years, and talking to people, and volunteering at PP.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,502,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hey paganmama,

I'm just wondering how much close contact do you have with teens who are very religious Christians? Teens who have decided to wait until marriage for religious reasons? Teens (and adults for that matter) who make a commitment to God to stay chaste as a gift to their future spouses?
Not paganmama here. However, I have known a good number of people who waited to have any type of sexual intercourse until marriage. None of them were reformed bad kids, either. I've had the opposite experience of many people. Most kids I know who were raised in very lax households are very wild. Most kids I know who were raised in much stricter households are not wild at all.

I will say that most of our "rules" and beliefs in regards to raising children don't come from our religion. They are just morals for us. Sex is both, but our beliefs on things such as modesty, makeup, dating, and general behavior do not come from our religion. My husband and I are much more conservative in these areas than others in our families.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not paganmama here. However, I have known a good number of people who waited to have any type of sexual intercourse until marriage. None of them were reformed bad kids, either. I've had the opposite experience of many people. Most kids I know who were raised in very lax households are very wild. Most kids I know who were raised in much stricter households are not wild at all.

I will say that most of our "rules" and beliefs in regards to raising children don't come from our religion. They are just morals for us. Sex is both, but our beliefs on things such as modesty, makeup, dating, and general behavior do not come from our religion. My husband and I are much more conservative in these areas than others in our families.

They might not be wild where you can see them is all. This is a misconception many religious and conservative parents seem to have. Little Suzy might be the perfect virgin angel at home but snorting coke and having orgies when she is out of your site. The truth is any extreme form of parenting will breed the same end result usually. You can be a bit to the left or a bit to the right but any extreme will end up with similar issues.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM

4,192 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
They might not be wild where you can see them is all. This is a misconception many religious and conservative parents seem to have. Little Suzy might be the perfect virgin angel at home but snorting coke and having orgies when she is out of your site. The truth is any extreme form of parenting will breed the same end result usually. You can be a bit to the left or a bit to the right but any extreme will end up with similar issues.
WHere you spying on my high school?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM

23,932 posts, read 20,319,405 times
Quote:

It all depends on what you consider extreme.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It all depends on what you consider extreme.

aixden is an example of extreme and generally any parent who seems to think 1930 style child rearing works in the 21st century .

Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
where you spying on my high school?
:d

Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM

5,515 posts, read 3,267,620 times
Quote:
aixden is an example of extreme and generally any parent who seems to think 1930 style child rearing works in the 21st century .
Don't out the poor boy lol.
He's just confused.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM

44 posts, read 57,076 times
A lot of people in the early part of the thread responded to the title by having the idea "if I caught them, I would sit them down and discuss with them the dangers, and to be safe" and things along the lines of that.
I agree with it, and if I had a kid (which I don't I'm still a teen) I would do that too, but at the same time, how do you do that without giving them the idea you're saying "I'm allowing you to have sex whenever you want, just be 'safe'"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting