Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why would you WANT to stay at home and live with your parents if you knew that they were unhappy that you were having sex outside of marriage?

The tsk, tsking isn't enough of a kick in the pants to make you start looking at Craig's list?
Exactly. If your beliefs aren't in tune with your parents (or you are uninterested in living according to their wishes) moving out would seem the logical and adult choice.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-20-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why would you WANT to stay at home and live with your parents if you knew that they were unhappy that you were having sex outside of marriage?

The tsk, tsking isn't enough of a kick in the pants to make you start looking at Craig's list?
Oh i wouldn't believe me lol, if i did not agree with how they ran the ship i would board my own . Luckily my parents don't really ask nor care what i do in my personal life .

Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes and i know that regardless of your rule it will happen or not. Very few teens will not engage in some level of sexual activity before college, and by the first year or two of college most of the rest have as well. And while ones heart might be in the right place it fails to actually protect your children by putting hope in the assumption they will follow your moral values.
I know a whole lot of people who didn't have sex in college or before it. So, since everyone's doing it we should just let our kids do it? If everyone starts doing drugs should we just let our kids do them?

Fails to protect them? They are free to do it if they want to as long as they find other living arrangements.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't it be their personal choice to not engage in pre marital sex however? And i can understand the fact of keeping older children's sex activities out of the house for younger kids, and the parental ick factor .
If they engage in those activities outside of the house, the younger siblings would most likely still find out about it. Once again, it is their personal choice. After the age of 18 and high school graduation, they do not have to live with their parents. On the flip side of that, their parents don't have to let them live there.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I know a whole lot of people who didn't have sex in college or before it. So, since everyone's doing it we should just let our kids do it? If everyone starts doing drugs should we just let our kids do them?

Fails to protect them? They are free to do it if they want to as long as they find other living arrangements.
Some don't but by the 1st year or so of college they are a rare breed. So rare that i only know maybe 3 people that waited that long.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
If they engage in those activities outside of the house, the younger siblings would most likely still find out about it. Once again, it is their personal choice. After the age of 18 and high school graduation, they do not have to live with their parents. On the flip side of that, their parents don't have to let them live there.
How would a younger sibling even know unless their older sibling told them? I'm pretty close to my older sibs, and i couldn't give you an itinerary of their sex life.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
How would a younger sibling even know unless their older sibling told them? I'm pretty close to my older sibs, and i couldn't give you an itinerary of their sex life.
Maybe the neighbors told them?

Anyway, the OP is about a 16-year-old having sex in the house, not a discreet college kid.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Maybe the neighbors told them?

Anyway, the OP is about a 16-year-old having sex in the house, not a discreet college kid.
, Julia i dare say that person has solved the issue since this post is 2 years old lol.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Some don't but by the 1st year or so of college they are a rare breed. So rare that i only know maybe 3 people that waited that long.
Then you should meet more people. I know way more than three people who hadn't even had sex by college graduation. I know many who had sex at a much younger age, too. Again, they can do it if they want to. However, that choice leads to consequences.

When I was in high school (mind you not even 18) I lived with my aunt and uncle. One rule was that you had to either play a sport or have a job. Due to the coaches not being accepting of newcomers who were juniors, my only choice was a job. However, for most of my life I had extreme social anxiety issues and just could not do it at that time. So, I had to move out. I knew that at the time I decided I would not get a job. Actions have consequences, and I knew that. A person who is of age should be able to understand that, too.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
No, they don't have to. However, they also don't have to live with us. Living with your parents beyond the age of 18 and high school graduation is not a right. I really don't understand what's so hard about having to follow house rules if you want to continue living at the house.

It would also set a terrible example for any younger children. "Now, don't you guys have pre-marital sex, but it's completely OK for you older brother/sister to do it."
I think you are misunderstanding me. How are you going to monitor what your ADULT child does outside your house? I understand having younger kids at home. I agree that within the house a parent can make rules for an adult child. However, I fail to see how you are going to monitor legal behavior that happens outside your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting