Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

I just can't get into the "sex is bad" camp at all, regardless. Having sex in and of itself is not a moral issue, IMO.

It's a great part of life that we should prepare our kids for. Yes it can cause unwanted consequences, but there are plenty of ways to prevent those.

Driving also has risks, yet we prepare our kids to drive responsibly, and don't arbitrarily prevent them from doing it. Another age appropriate life skill.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM

254 posts, read 419,359 times
Moderator Cut

Teenagers shouldn't have sex because they are not adults. Their bodies and emotions are not fully developed, they do not support themselves, and frankly they're just to immature to deal with the consequences of early sexual behavior (raising a child, emotional scars from STDs) But most of all, they are not self-sufficient people and their parents are still responsible for their well-being. Sex is better when you're grown, mature, don't have to sneak around and have the maturity to deal with the consequences.

Once again, if this was my child, they'd have a choice. Be an adult, that comes with consequences, be a child, that comes with one thing: Stay selebent til 18 years old, or until you're out of my house.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-14-2013 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and references

Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I just can't get into the "sex is bad" camp at all, regardless. Having sex in and of itself is not a moral issue, IMO.

It's a great part of life that we should prepare our kids for. Yes it can cause unwanted consequences, but there are plenty of ways to prevent those.

Driving also has risks, yet we prepare our kids to drive responsibly, and don't arbitrarily prevent them from doing it. Another age appropriate life skill.

You're comparing driving to 14 year olds, immature and foolish, to have sex? 14 year olds should be playing basketball, playing imaginary battles, /NOT/ having intercourse with another girl. "What do we do? We can't stop them. Teens will be teens". Is the most lamest excuse ever. Parents have the ability to prevent their child from having sex. They have the ability and, I hope, the nobility to do such an act. But, no, good ahead and give them condoms and birth control. Encourage them to have sex as much as you'd like, however, until we Moderator Cut stand up for what's right, this effort is meanginless.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-14-2013 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
You're comparing driving to 14 year olds, immature and foolish, to have sex? 14 year olds should be playing basketball, playing imaginary battles, /NOT/ having intercourse with another girl. "What do we do? We can't stop them. Teens will be teens". Is the most lamest excuse ever. Parents have the ability to prevent their child from having sex. They have the ability and, I hope, the nobility to do such an act. But, no, good ahead and give them condoms and birth control. Encourage them to have sex as much as you'd like, however, until we get /real/ parents to stand up for what's right, this effort is meanginless.
I said absolutely none of those things.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I said absolutely none of those things.
Then you should have put your comment in proper /context./

Here's my point: Under 18, YOU SHOULDN'T BE HAVING SEX! Be.A.CHILD! Dear goodness.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Then you should have put your comment in proper /context./

Here's my point: Under 18, YOU SHOULDN'T BE HAVING SEX! Be.A.CHILD! Dear goodness.
I beg your pardon?

I put in my post exactly what I wanted to put in it.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Teenagers shouldn't have sex because they are not adults. Their bodies and emotions are not fully developed, they do not support themselves, and frankly they're just to immature to deal with the consequences of early sexual behavior (raising a child, emotional scars from STDs) But most of all, they are not self-sufficient people and their parents are still responsible for their well-being. Sex is better when you're grown, mature, don't have to sneak around and have the maturity to deal with the consequences.

Once again, if this was my child, they'd have a choice. Be an adult, that comes with consequences, be a child, that comes with one thing: Stay selebent til 18 years old, or until you're out of my house.
To the immature point. Different people mature differently. I know some 70yos who are still too immature to have sex, at least in a caring and compassionate way. Nothing magical happens on their 18th birthday. How mature they really are, how prepared to make good choices, how to respond to consequences should they arise, will all be dependant on how they have learned those skills throughout their childhood and teen-hood. Modern medicine being what it is, pregnancy and STDs are highly avoidable.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-14-2013 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
To the immature point. Different people mature differently. I know some 70yos who are still too immature to have sex, at least in a caring and compassionate way. Nothing magical happens on their 18th birthday. How mature they really are, how prepared to make good choices, how to respond to consequences should they arise, will all be dependant on how they have learned those skills throughout their childhood and teen-hood. Modern medicine being what it is, pregnancy and STDs are highly avoidable.

Adolesence, and there's still a chance modern medicene can fail, have no business having sex. Give me one GOOD, BENEFICIAL, HELPFUL reason adolesence between 13-17 should engage in any sort of sexual intercourse with anyone? You can't. My point on immaturity may be broad, but my point remains. Teenagers, adolesence, should not have sex until adulthood. When they reach adulthood, it's their decision, PERIOD.

Where am I going wrong?

Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Where I live the age of consent is 16 so your rule of 18+ would not apply. Whats wrong with someone 16+ having sex? Sex is fun and its an important part of a relationship.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Somebody pull out the fainting couch, quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting