Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Oh heck yeah. I am a prime example. I was raised very Catholic, went to church every Sunday, mom taught CCD etc... I was the apple of my mothers eye. Got great grades had no problems in school or socially or anything, always very respectful around adults. My Mom had the perfect daughter. Then I left the house.

I honestly believe it made me a better parent though. I could relate easier to everything my sons were going through. I was also always two steps ahead of them too Whatever they tried to do, I did it better. They discovered early on it was better to just be honest with me rather than lie and sneak. Worked out great for all of us.
My mother was like that and got pregnant at 14, so when she raised us she was far more liberal on those types of things and none of us had any issues with it.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
That would just be the beginning.

w00t!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
My mother was like that and got pregnant at 14, so when she raised us she was far more liberal on those types of things and none of us had any issues with it.
14!!!! Holy crud!!! I am definitely not THAT cool of a mother to not lose my mind over that.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
14!!!! Holy crud!!! I am definitely not THAT cool of a mother to not lose my mind over that.

She did actually and basically treated her like dirt the entire pregnancy so they never really got over that and still don't talk much.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And I am glad you feel assaulting a minor is appropriate.
That's exactly what that is, by law, no grey area there.

You assaulting a minor is illegal.

I wonder when some parents will get it through their heads you can't go all renegade and assault someone for going against something you said. You can't just hit people.
Exactly. Parents can't hit their kids for going against the rules. What makes them think they can hit someone else's kid?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. As the father of a daughter, all I can add is: *If* I kept my composure, I'd offer the kid a choice between dealing with me or the police, and yes, accusations of rape would be in that mix... Of course, the probability of me keeping my composure in such a situation is pretty low.

Having my daugher known as "the hot chick that no one will date because her Daddy's a bit crazy" is ok by me.

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility and being held to account for one's actions - under all circumstances. Sometimes people make really bad choices and *need* to suffer the consequences as part of the learning process. Being on the registry might teach the kid a thing or two!

"...for the rest of his life..." I like the sound of that!
It's only rape if

1. the age gap makes it rape and/or
2. she didn't consent

Just because the dad doesn't approve, that doesn't make it rape. Dads like you are one of the reasons I didn't date in high school and one of the reasons I never want to be a dad. And I don't even have an interest in sex. But some dads think it's bad if someone just wants to date their daughter without sex. You seem like one of those dads.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
They would not be closing a door in the house after that incident. I'm 23 and I'm still a virgin and not ashamed to admit it. I'm a bit old fashioned, and my child would not be having the door closed w/ the boyfriend or girlfriend in the room as long as they were living under my roof.( you're talking to somebody here who was not allowed to close his bedroom door for any other reaon than using his blacklight until he was almost 16 years old, I was not even allowed to sleep w/ my door closed prior to that) If they don't like it, then they know where the door is. I don't get why teens are in such a rush to lose their virginity these days. What happened to the days when sex was something special?

And I'm not a prude, but teens just have no boundaries these days, that's why we now have 15 yr old mothers w/ moms who are only 30, thus we now have a 30 yr old grandmother. Nothing wrong w/ educating our kids on this matter, but a parent is stupid if they let their son or daughter go into a bedroom w/ their gf/bf w/ the door closed. Who knows what the hell they could be doing? Where do we draw the line?

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 12-08-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Chances are the numbers are bit higher due to undereporting as well i would imagine it's closer to 70 percent. And that's just intercourse....my little niece has said things like oral,anal,dry sex,naked dry sex,mutual masturbation are common among people who don't have sex.
I'd rather my children just masturbate(alone, I don't believe in mutual masturbation), than to just have sex before they are ready. I mean condoms are not 100% guaranteed. Get a fleshjack or something damnit

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 12-08-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
"Having my daugher known as "the hot chick that no one will date because her Daddy's a bit crazy" is ok by me."

I have carefully cultivated that reputation. One of my daughters had a boyfriend tell her that he wanted to kiss her, but he was afraid of what I might do if I found out so maybe they should go ask me if it was ok for him to kiss her. (My daughters tell me pretty much everything, often more than I really want to know.)

My daughters wear promise rings. One of them stopped wearing hers. I asked her boyfreind whether I needed to start sharpening up my knives and get out some handcuffs. She siad that she only stopped wearing it becuase she bought it when she was youn and now thinks it is an ugly and uncomfroatble ring. A week later boyfriend bought her a new very nice promise ring and made sure that I saw him give it to her. She still ahs the ring, but no longer has the boy.

It is not really hard to cultivate the reputation as a completely crazy person who is overprotective of his daughters and willing to go to jail if necessary. Of course the question "Do think think that I am not smart enough to do away with you and never be suspected?" leaves the poor boy with no good answer. (I keep it a well hidden secret that i feel miserable when I have to kill a spider).

At the same time, we did suggest to the girls that they go on birth control at age 18 just to be safe. They decided not to. One of them at her boyfriends request "You are too tempting the way it is, if we know it is safe, it could be overwhelming. Better off not, or at least do not tell me if you do start taking the pill. I do not want to know." (Maybe he wa just trying to placate crazy dad.).

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM

It's great that your daughters are open w/ you like that. If you encourage that, they are more likely to listen to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting