Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Btw, Mattie, if you want to play the stupid stereotype game, guess which gender child will actually be there to love and support you in your old age. Hint: it ain't the gender you've got.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Regarding the article posted in the OP, it would be interesting to see the relationships that her sons end up having with women. If she openly regards girls as flighty, moody, silly little princesses and tells people how glad she is to avoid them, it seems like her boys are going to grow up with some wonky ideas about the opposite sex. At least one of them will probably end up with a flighty, moody, silly little princess for a girlfriend or wife, because he'll think that's how all of them are.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
As the boys get older though, are they going to wonder what's wrong with her? I mean, there comes a point in time where young men DO realize that their moms are girls. OR, are these boys going to avoid discussing girls or avoid ever bringing one home for her to meet....since she disapproves so strongly, of girls?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Y'all bring up a good point.
I mean, what do these mothers teach their sons about how girls are?!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Btw, Mattie, if you want to play the stupid stereotype game, guess which gender child will actually be there to love and support you in your old age. Hint: it ain't the gender you've got.
Nice.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am sorry you feel that way. And even more sorry for your sons. But I suppose it is just as well you do not have a daughter who just as likely would not be a "girly girl". Imagine how little you would want that child.
You are mean and VERY ignorant. And no need to feel sorry for my sons because I love them more than anything in this world, and they know it, AS I HAVE SAID NUMEROUS TIMES, but people keep interpreting it as I don't love my children. I would die for them. All I said was I always wanted girls my entire life and I am sad that don't have one and the connection mother's have with their daughters like the one I had with my mom. I feel that I am missing a part of me. Whether she was a tomboy or not, there is a connection that only mothers and daughters share. I played sports and climbed trees, had scraped knees, had guy friends, and was dirty constantly when I was little, but I also loved my dolls and playing house and being girly and wearing dresses. In fact I don't even like wearing dresses now, but am still a girly girl. The best friend I had for my entire life was and still is a complete tomboy.

My boys are happy, respectful, smart, funny kids. Do they drive me crazy sometimes? ABSOLUTELY. Do I love them any less? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Instead of judging me and being so insensitive, try understanding. You are taking what I said out of context and reading into it more than is necessary. Everyone is entitled to their feelings and should not be belittled because of them. You don't know me or anything about me. I doubt if I were your sister or best friend you would be so demeaning. I'm sure you would lend a sympathetic ear and hug every once in awhile. I was truthful about myself and my feelings. I'm sure some of you put on a good act through the internet, but I see no reason to do so. Next time you want to mean to someone you don't know, try putting yourself in their shoes for a minute and see how you would feel if someone said those things to you, your mom, your sister, or anyone close to you.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
You are mean and VERY ignorant. And no need to feel sorry for my sons because I love them more than anything in this world, and they know it, AS I HAVE SAID NUMEROUS TIMES, but people keep interpreting it as I don't love my children. I would die for them. All I said was I always wanted girls my entire life and I am sad that don't have one and the connection mother's have with their daughters like the one I had with my mom. I feel that I am missing a part of me. Whether she was a tomboy or not, there is a connection that only mothers and daughters share. I played sports and climbed trees, had scraped knees, had guy friends, and was dirty constantly when I was little, but I also loved my dolls and playing house and being girly and wearing dresses. In fact I don't even like wearing dresses now, but am still a girly girl. The best friend I had for my entire life was and still is a complete tomboy.

My boys are happy, respectful, smart, funny kids. Do they drive me crazy sometimes? ABSOLUTELY. Do I love them any less? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Instead of judging me and being so insensitive, try understanding. You are taking what I said out of context and reading into it more than is necessary. Everyone is entitled to their feelings and should not be belittled because of them. You don't know me or anything about me. I doubt if I were your sister or best friend you would be so demeaning. I'm sure you would lend a sympathetic ear and hug every once in awhile. I was truthful about myself and my feelings. I'm sure some of you put on a good act through the internet, but I see no reason to do so. Next time you want to mean to someone you don't know, try putting yourself in their shoes for a minute and see how you would feel if someone said those things to you, your mom, your sister, or anyone close to you.
IMO you are one of the most honest posters I've seen in a long time. I understand that it's possible to love your boys and still wish you'd had a girl. I adore my daughter and appreciate all of her qualities (stubborn, indepedent, opinionated) but that doesn't mean that I haven't ever sighed and wished for a more compliant kid.

Having said that, I think that all the stereotypes about boys and girls are silly. The sex of a kid does not determine what activities they'll be interested in, or how they'll interact with their parents over the years. Those qualities vary with individuals, not by sex.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
IMO you are one of the most honest posters I've seen in a long time. I understand that it's possible to love your boys and still wish you'd had a girl. I adore my daughter and appreciate all of her qualities (stubborn, indepedent, opinionated) but that doesn't mean that I haven't ever sighed and wished for a more compliant kid.

Having said that, I think that all the stereotypes about boys and girls are silly. The sex of a kid does not determine what activities they'll be interested in, or how they'll interact with their parents over the years. Those qualities vary with individuals, not by sex.
sure, kudos for honesty. However, it is one thing to say "I always wanted a girl." and completely another to say "I struggle every day because I don't have a girl." There is really nothing in life that should be a daily struggle. If it is, professional help should be sought. We all have ups and downs, good days and bad days. In a case like this, where it is what it is, and can not be changed, nothing is gained by dwelling on the negative. It's not good for one's mental health.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol, I bowed out of this thread months ago. I make no apologies for my remarks. I'm pretty certain I stated if I had had daughters, I would have loved them just as much as my sons, who I am delighted with. But, like the OP, in the end I am happy with the way things turned out.

BTW, my BROTHER is the child most involved in my mother's care. I visit regularly, but he handles her finances and flies across the country almost monthly to do maintenance on her house. My other BROTHERS take her on vacation with them.

Who is playing stereotype games now?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

BTW, my BROTHER is the child most involved in my mother's care. I visit regularly, but he handles her finances and flies across the country almost monthly to do maintenance on her house. My other BROTHERS take her on vacation with them.

Who is playing stereotype games now?
So you're a misogynist and you don't take care of your parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting